Spotify Hi-Fi support

we are in a crazy world where paying the price of a cd per month to have 98% of what is available in music, in cd quality precisely, seems unthinkable.. a fortune....

says a lot about the consideration we have for the said music or the musicians....
finally good.. an excuse to play with hifi equipment talk about it for hours.. an activity like any other.. a bit like a subscription to a gym...
"
-what kind of music do you listen to?
-only dsd sir !!!!.. possibly a bit of 192k24... why?
- ah ..........."

Last edited:
You are right but keep in mind streamed music is never lifetime like cd You can own and use without internet and smartphone. I have my favorites records on cds, like I have more than thousand movies on dvds and blu-rays. Because music and movies on streaming services are today but not necesseraily tomorrow. I.e. I like Eric Alexander quartet records and they are only on amazon music. Why? I have no idea. They disappeared from tidal one day and never came back.

I'd gladly pay €20 for Spotify with hifi instead of €10 for Qobuz for example, just for Spotify's amazing features for music discovery.

As I am now paying for Tidal + Deezer + Amazon I would pay 20 euro for spotify in hi-res. If it will save present functionality and compatibility ofcourse, which is almost impossible.
Yes, but they talk about CD quality, Not HI-RES

You are right but keep in mind streamed music is never lifetime like cd You can own and use without internet and smartphone. I have my favorites records on cds, like I have more than thousand movies on dvds and blu-rays. Because music and movies on streaming services are today but not necesseraily tomorrow. I.e. I like Eric Alexander quartet records and they are only on amazon music. Why? I have no idea. They disappeared from tidal one day and never came back.
Me too i am a lover of Eric Alexander and i can tell you that in Qobuz there are all of his albums.

More, i have read that Qobuz is Jazz specialized

More, i have read that Qobuz is Jazz specialized
Qobuz does have a very good Jazz library and (I am told) an equally good Classical library.
I listen to a lot of Jazz but also other genres but not really Classical.
I have Qobuz and Spotify (but am moving away from the latter over a period). There are about 6 albums in my Spotify library that aren't available in Qobuz. There were lots more but the gap has closed over the last few years.

EDIT
Just giving some Eric Alexander on Qobuz a listen. Nice.

Last edited:
Qobuz does have a very good Jazz library and (I am told) an equally good Classical library.
I listen to a lot of Jazz but also other genres but not really Classical.
I have Qobuz and Spotify (but am moving away from the latter over a period). There are about 6 albums in my Spotify library that aren't available in Qobuz. There were lots more but the gap has closed over the last few years.

EDIT
Just giving some Eric Alexander on Qobuz a listen. Nice.
Being as Jazz as Classical addict, and not only i can confirm that Classical Library too in Qobuz is excellent. By the way my first loves have been
PROG ROCK
ROCK 60/70 Years
BRITISH FOLK
BLUES
I have over 1300 LP of this genres, all originals not reissues and all in mint conditions.
Do a try with Eric Alexander. I think you will love him

I guess it's time for me to abandon Spotify, albeit reluctantly. What I want is a service for listening to music, not some kind of Tik Tok or something else. Podcasts included. If the CEO did the wrong thing, too bad for him.
Of course another 100,000 will be happy.
You will be glad you did. I dropped Spotify the moment Qobuz became available in the U.S. and have never looked back.
Since that time Spotify seems even less interested in music than ever before, and I join you in having zero interest in podcasts, audio books, or any kind of TikTok, Instagram, or You Tube-like UI.
I listen to music, and I do not not stare at or fixate on any interface.

So true and why I have Qobuz Sublime, if I really like something I add it to my own collection at a steep download discount.

I have tried all of the following

Spotify
Qobuz
Tidal
Deezer
Amazon

The one that I now use is Qobuz. It has a very decent library, a lot of HiRes FLAC and works very well with my music server software (LMS)

I wasn’t impressed by Tidal or their MQA stuff. It makes no sense in this day and age to compress for bandwidth reasons when there are none. Tidal works well with LMS.

Deezer was Ok, played ok with LMS but I preferred Qobuz.

I’ve got Amazon Prime for other reasons and have tried Unlimited but it sounds a bit “bright” to me. Amazon does not work with LMS properly.

I have a Spotify Family plan. I’d drop it completely but other people use it and have extensive libraries. It works with LMS.

Despite owning a number of iOS devices I’ve never tried Apple Music

Spotify hifi wont get release unless subscribers willing to pay premium of 19.99 on cd quality. There is no incentive for Spotify by giving us cd quality on same cost now. I think they will only do it if they see their subscribers go down and switch to other services.

Don’t hold your breath for Spotify HiFi, or whatever enhanced more expensive package it might turn out to be - see this article .
I can’t see it happening. They don’t need to as the average user of their services doesn’t listen with anything where the difference between 320kbps Ogg Vorbis and FLAC is even discernible.
I find some of the comments here amusing when people say they are only getting 24/48 for example. I’d suggest it’s not their ears telling them, they only know because they have a DAC with different colour LEDs that’s telling them.
I can tell the difference between mp3 and FLAC but not between 16/44.1 FLAC and 24/whatever FLAC. Science suggests very very few people can.

You will be glad you did. I dropped Spotify the moment Qobuz became available in the U.S. and have never looked back.
Since that time Spotify seems even less interested in music than ever before, and I join you in having zero interest in podcasts, audio books, or any kind of TikTok, Instagram, or You Tube-like UI.
I listen to music, and I do not not stare at or fixate on any interface.
Hi @Mike in NY
I 100% approve what you say. We are on the same vessel

Spotify hifi wont get release unless subscribers willing to pay premium of 19.99 on cd quality. There is no incentive for Spotify by giving us cd quality on same cost now. I think they will only do it if they see their subscribers go down and switch to other services.
Just what, i think, it's happening

In addition to the just signed Qobuz, I also have Amazon Unlimited and all in all I must say that it's not bad.
The catalog is wide and the quality, I would say, very good even if Qobuz is superior.

Back