Standalone DAC with Pro for SPEAKER listening

Yanto

Major Contributor
Hi all
I’m thinking of investing in a standalone DAC to use alongside my Pro/Audiolab 6000a/Dali Oberon 5’s.
So, if you are using a separate, standalone DAC with a Pro, specifically for speakers, not headphones, which one do you use please?
Thanks

Hi all
I’m thinking of investing in a standalone DAC to use alongside my Pro/Audiolab 6000a/Dali Oberon 5’s.
So, if you are using a separate, standalone DAC with a Pro, specifically for speakers, not headphones, which one do you use please?
Thanks
There are just far too many to choose from!
Did you have a budget in mind, or particular dac topology?
Maybe read a few posters' signatures?

There are just far too many to choose from!
Did you have a budget in mind, or particular dac topology?
Maybe read a few posters' signatures?
Yes there are. I’m hoping to find one that’s a touch warmer than the one in the Audiolab, but maintains good instrument separation, soundstage, and detail. I know it’s difficult to do this online. But I’m 7 hours from any good Hifi stores. Budget, up to £800 local equivalent.

Yes there are. I’m hoping to find one that’s a touch warmer than the one in the Audiolab, but maintains good instrument separation, soundstage, and detail. I know it’s difficult to do this online. But I’m 7 hours from any good Hifi stores. Budget, up to £800 local equivalent.
Yeah, it seems to me that all the hi fi stores where I could try out dacs are in Melbourne, so just a quick 1,000 km down the road...
Buy 2nd hand and keep or sell on seems to be the way!

Yeah, it seems to me that all the hi fi stores where I could try out dacs are in Melbourne, so just a quick 1,000 km down the road...
Buy 2nd hand and keep or sell on seems to be the way!
Selling used gear out here is nowhere near as easy as it was back in the Uk. People basically want it for nothing! Also looking online at used components, brands are very limited.
I did contact a US company about buying one of their models but delivery and import taxes basically doubled the price.
Start again from scratch! The wife would completely lose her mind 🤣

Sometimes the SMSL SU-1 is discounted on Amazon, below its already discount price. I bought one to work downstream from my Pro, into my stereo amps. My old ears detect a positive difference relative to the Pro's built-in DAC.

Sometimes the SMSL SU-1 is discounted on Amazon, below its already discount price. I bought one to work downstream from my Pro, into my stereo amps. My old ears detect a positive difference relative to the Pro's built-in DAC.
Which model did you buy please?

I'm connecting my WiiM Pro with a standalone DAC, PS Audio, Digital Link III. It sounds amazing to my vintage setup.
Used to have Topping E50, it is great but PS Audio is much better.

I'm connecting my WiiM Pro with a standalone DAC, PS Audio, Digital Link III. It sounds amazing to my vintage setup.
Used to have Topping E50, it is great but PS Audio is much better.
Is the PS Audio model you mentioned now discontinued?

Watched a review earlier that claims that the SU-1 is the best performing DAC under $300!

Like many modern DACs, the SU-1 also has multiple inputs. I run optical to it from my WiiM Pro, and coax to it from my Onkyo CD player, allowing me to choose between WiiM streams and my physical CD collection. My CD player has a fairly good built-in DAC chip of its own, and I can choose that by selecting the analog output from the CD player straight to my amp, but I tend to listen to most everything through the SMSL now, as it seems I'm hearing things I didn't hear before from music I've listened to probably hundreds of times. With my old ears, I need all the help I can get (maybe why WiiM's forum labels me a "Senior Member", ha).

Like many modern DACs, the SU-1 also has multiple inputs. I run optical to it from my WiiM Pro, and coax to it from my Onkyo CD player, allowing me to choose between WiiM streams and my physical CD collection. My CD player has a fairly good built-in DAC chip of its own, and I can choose that by selecting the analog output from the CD player straight to my amp, but I tend to listen to most everything through the SMSL now, as it seems I'm hearing things I didn't hear before from music I've listened to probably hundreds of times. With my old ears, I need all the help I can get (maybe why WiiM's forum labels me a "Senior Member", ha).
Sounds to me like you’re happy with what you’re hearing. And that means a lot.
I think I should be classed as a ‘Senior’ member too, at my age 😉

Hi all
Thanks
I have and use
SMSL 500 MKIII 590 € in Italy
Topping D70 Pro Sabre 699 €
Both, for me, are excellent, but Topping is a step forward ;). Deeper soundstage and better reproduction of high frequencies
This is what my old ears perceive

Hi @Yanto
If you want spend less money, i strongly suggest to you Topping D50 s.
About 230€. It’s a great DAC. It’s sound is not equal, but very similar to Topping D70 Pro Sabre. Same detailed sound, wide and deep soundstage and optimal reproduction of all frequencies.

Hi @Yanto
If you want spend less money, i strongly suggest to you Topping D50 s.
About 230€. It’s a great DAC. It’s sound is not equal, but very similar to Topping D70 Pro Sabre. Same detailed sound, wide and deep soundstage and optimal reproduction of all frequencies.
Hi @Maurizio thanks very much indeed for the help and information. I’m going to wait until I can get to some stores and listen for myself.
It’s very risky to buy blind out here due to the no returns policy. Cheers!

Back