Standalone DAC with Pro for SPEAKER listening

Hi @Maurizio thanks very much indeed for the help and information. I’m going to wait until I can get to some stores and listen for myself.
It’s very risky to buy blind out here due to the no returns policy. Cheers!
Hi @Yanto
I totally understand what you're saying because my situation is the same. In my area there are no shops where you can listen to the various DACs.
In fact I bought them blindly, based on various reviews on HiFi sites and on comments from users who had the DACs.
I took a risk, but I won. Luckily, when I got them, I found that they were as I expected. ;)
If you buy any DAC on Amazon, you can always return it if it doesn't meet your expectations.
Have a nice day

Hi @Yanto
I totally understand what you're saying because my situation is the same. In my area there are no shops where you can listen to the various DACs.
In fact I bought them blindly, based on various reviews on HiFi sites and on comments from users who had the DACs.
I took a risk, but I won. Luckily, when I got them, I found that they were as I expected. ;)
If you buy any DAC on Amazon, you can always return it if it doesn't meet your expectations.
Have a nice day
Hey.
I know that Amazon do ship out here, although costs are high, plus I have to pay import taxes etc. I’m not sure about returns though. I know you could return items in the Uk with no questions asked. But I’m not sure if that is valid here, plus who pays the return shipping costs.

Hey.
I know that Amazon do ship out here, although costs are high, plus I have to pay import taxes etc. I’m not sure about returns though. I know you could return items in the Uk with no questions asked. But I’m not sure if that is valid here, plus who pays the return shipping costs.
(y)

I’m currently using my Wiim through a musical fidelity mx-dac but soon changing to Chord Mojo 2.
Which amp amp and speakers please? Be interested to hear your thought with the Mojo 2 please.

Hegel H95 and Dali Menuet SE- I get lots of enjoyment from this combo using the internal dac for tv and Apple Music via Apple TV 4K. I run the Wiim pro and cd player through the MF dac.

Believe it or not I use the Mini through a $1,700 Denafrips Pontus II. Sounds fantastic. Prior to that I had the Denafrips Ares II which was really great in it's own right. Denafrips changed model names a bit with the Ares line yet still have a DAC in your price range.

Thanks - I’ll be looking for a new dac for my main System after Easter when the mojo 2 will be doing mobile and travel duties.

Believe it or not I use the Mini through a $1,700 Denafrips Pontus II. Sounds fantastic. Prior to that I had the Denafrips Ares II which was really great in it's own right. Denafrips changed model names a bit with the Ares line yet still have a DAC in your price range.
Thanks. Ares 2 is available over here at £790 (local equivalent). On my list to try hopefully.

The Topping E70 Velvet may be another good option! I'm using that one in my main stereo speaker setup and find it to be revealing, dynamic and just a touch on the warm side (tonally rich, but in a very natural way). The AKM AK449EX "Velvet Sound" DAC chip is used, which while not a guarantee by itself, is found in a lot of popular chip DACs these days. Since you mentioned warmth, I think you'll appreciate well-implemented DACs based around the AK449EX vs. those using ESS Sabre which can lean on the analytical side (for some people in some systems). The E70 is the cheapest DAC (@ $450 US) I've used in my main stereo having previously owned MyTek and BenchMark Media, which were super revealing, but could be a little too truthful for long listening sessions.

The Topping E70 Velvet may be another good option! I'm using that one in my main stereo speaker setup and find it to be revealing, dynamic and just a touch on the warm side (tonally rich, but in a very natural way). The AKM AK449EX "Velvet Sound" DAC chip is used, which while not a guarantee by itself, is found in a lot of popular chip DACs these days. Since you mentioned warmth, I think you'll appreciate well-implemented DACs based around the AK449EX vs. those using ESS Sabre which can lean on the analytical side (for some people in some systems). The E70 is the cheapest DAC (@ $450 US) I've used in my main stereo having previously owned MyTek and BenchMark Media, which were super revealing, but could be a little too truthful for long listening sessions.
Thank you. Excellent information. I guess I’m looking at a more rich overall sound rather than warm, but without losing instrument separation, detail and timbre.

Optical spdif upto 192khz down to a external SMSL D6 for now. Seams good

Should the usb c wiim upgrade be worth it, the D6 allows it also with improved dynamic

For now playing with the preamp tubes JJ between it and 170DC Marantz then GS20 Monitor Audio

Let'see what's next

Last edited:
I’m currently using my Wiim through a musical fidelity mx-dac but soon changing to Chord Mojo 2.
I see recently the price of Chord Mojo 2 has been reduced in Malaysia. I'm also getting it very soon, coming Saturday.
I have been tried out the demo set for 3 hours before placing my order. It's a very good DAC/Amp for travel indeed.

Back