Tidal Master

Skye

Is anyone receiving beyond/ higher then 24 Bits /48 kHz on Tidal MAX or Master tracks?

Last edited:
thanks but I have yet to receive 96 kHz/24 bits and up to 9216 kbps. :poop:

MQA? Is that still a thing? :unsure:

I thought it was a busted flush.
The process is on the run and Tidal connect don't support hi Res flac yet. Until completition and new API release, wiim and other streamers, will lay on mqa. Hoping in a couple of months...

To waste some time, after returning home from a world tour, I decided to compare new hi-res flac with old MQA'ed.
Hi-res 192khz were from iPhone usb hooked to DAC, whilst MQA'ed unfolded to 96khz, were from wiim optically connected to same dac. Play was set-up to sync same song release and switch back and forth.
I have to admit there is difference, MQA's sound louder by 3dB and even after loudness leveling, they are a little worst, example drums ride shots or acoustic guitar strumming air are less clear.
Sure could be my cognitive bias but could even new hi-res files had different production path and are less compressed. I'm curious and wait for their release on Tidal connect also.

@merifon
For my info, would you please be so kind and tell me about the complete chain from the iPhone to an USB DAC? With a Lightning to USB C adaptor? And which one can handle this high resolutions? Or do you already have the iPhone 15 at hand? And if so, which DAC is able to handle hi-res music with iOS on the iPhone?
My iPad works brilliant with all USB-C dongle DACs I have tried. With Qobuz and even Apple Music. I still am a confessing anti-apple, but they indeed build the best tablet for my needs) so it would be very interesting for me which combinations work. And what do I care about my silly talk from yesterday? 😉 Thank you in advance!

@merifon
For my info, would you please be so kind and tell me about the complete chain from the iPhone to an USB DAC? With a Lightning to USB C adaptor? And which one can handle this high resolutions? Or do you already have the iPhone 15 at hand? And if so, which DAC is able to handle hi-res music with iOS on the iPhone?
My iPad works brilliant with all USB-C dongle DACs I have tried. With Qobuz and even Apple Music. I still am a confessing anti-apple, but they indeed build the best tablet for my needs) so it would be very interesting for me which combinations work. And what do I care about my silly talk from yesterday? 😉 Thank you in advance!
It's an old iPhone 6s, connected via camera connection kit, to a DAC SMSL DO100.
In this configuration, the sample rate in Tidal or qobuz follows that of the track being played. Instead Amazon music was anyway fixed at 192khz, at least until a year ago.
The reason I got a wiim is to free myself from cable. If Tidal (or qobuz) were controllable from another device, other than the one cable connected, as Spotify does, I stayed with that old iPhone...

@merifon
Ah, thank you. This need of the camera connection kit was always one reason I didn't even try. This cable salad was a bit too much for me. All the things I read so far about the coming 15's USB-C in relation with hi-res music are not very good. So, again thank you for you reply!

I did some try with an iPad pro and if I remind well, it's usb-c worked too.
The loudness difference among iPhone usb'ed and optical wiim mini, is for anything played, not only for flac hi-res vs mqa. This make me think that one of them is not bit perfect. Anyway, the biased sensation of better reproduction, it's only for hi-res vs mqa. Anything else at 44.1 16bit, 3dB loudness apart, seems sound the same...

Personally I am only interested to use Qobuz (and very few times Apple Music) with all my headphones without using the stereo. A phone or the tablet, a "mobile" DAC and the headphones. Nothing more needed. With Android UAPP is for me perfect in sound quality and near to perfect in usage. For the Samsung Galaxy 22 UAPP is not longer necessary with all my dongles. Too much dongles according to my wife.
With the iPad Pro also all the dongles work flawless. (And that is the easiest way to hi-res in Apple Music.)
The sense or nonsense of all this high resolution is another issue. I just want to get what I pay for. My real target is to get the best sound out of CD quality (and even much, much more in vinyl) in my home setup. And that is expensive enough 😉

Today's tidal android update, shows if MQA or Hi res Flac are used, when mobile itself or via USB dac are used.
With tidal connect, just MQA if available or CD quality are still allowed. This means that new hi-res releases, that have not MQA, are played only in cd quality with WiiM
Regardless is distinguishable or not, I hope Tidal wiil upgrade soon it's connect feature, to close the circle. Support still declare it will be in 2023...

Back