TIDAL MQA unfolding coming to WiiM Mini ?

So pleased. Showing 88 and 96 on my Topping where appropriate. For those wondering if I can tell the difference from 44, probably not. I just dig bigger numbers : )

hi! unfortunately some mqa songs have some noise (quiet pops like on vinyl records). non-mqa versions sound OK. You can check: https://tidal.com/track/258407544 https://tidal.com/track/174991056
Also sound is OK when I switch in tidal to hifi and off mqa in wiim.
Do You hear it too?
Yes I got same problem. I hear noise on the beginning of the song and seems disappear at middle of the song. Some songs has noise from beginning to end. What dac do you have?

Yes, we are integrating MQA into WiiM Mini.

For this kind of streamer product, we will add a user option to disable the MQA Core Decode and just authenticate MQA streams and pass the MQA stream bit perfectly to the S/PDIF output. This is useful when the connected device is a Full MQA Decoded as it can perform the complete Decode. Performing the Core Decode to a digital output is good when the connected device only supports MQA Rendering or has no MQA support.
I have topping e50 dac and it has optical/coax rendering. When mqa core output 96khz should the renderer output it to 192khz for the last unfold? I’m still seeing 96khz and no different from no mqa.

Where did you get this number from?
Buried in my 1,006 page, 2.1 million views Vaporware thread is part of the answer. A few years ago, I was given a Tidal Music Universal Royalty Statement. That month Tidal music had 170,403 subscribers in the Hi-Fi tier and 933,105 total premium subscribers. I tested it with a simple revenue model I use, then to be sure I borrowed a revenue model from a larger firm. I’ve analyzed Tidal Music’s audited financial statements from 2015 to 2020 and Block Inc.’s reporting of Revenue and Gross Profit in 2021 and 2022.

So, I am confident that the number of Tidal Music Subscribers who can decode an MQA file is rounded 300k. But how many have transitioned Dolby Atmos and Sony 360 Reality Audio?

Are you guys getting pop like static noise from mqa? If you do, what mqa dac you have?
a newcomer Fiio K7, pops if I play MQA from Tidal Connect, and see 88.2/96. If I send the MQA from the Wiim application, I only see 44.1/48 but there are no pops

Hi TTC64, please find the replies to your questions below.
a) Yes, it provides the bit perfect output via the digital audio port;
b) Multiroom streaming in our current firmware is still limited to 48 kHz, 16-bit. We'll provide the bit perfect multiroom streaming in future.

MQA is a feature requested by many of our existing users thus we believe it's important to support it. We don't expect we'll lose users just by supporting a feature some of them don't need. Please let us know what use cases are important to you so we can take this into count.
Here is some more information that may help. Roon has about 100k users and recently made decoding MQA files optional. Apparently MQA decoding costs more money than they are willing to spend.

YouTube Music and Premium have gained 30 million subscribers and now have 80 million subscribers.

Finally, you would not know if people would not consider a product with MQA. They just don’t buy it.

a newcomer Fiio K7, pops if I play MQA from Tidal Connect, and see 88.2/96. If I send the MQA from the Wiim application, I only see 44.1/48 but there are no pops
Mqa only works via tidal connect. I hear a pop on my e50 whether I use mqa or non mqa. Mqa disable no pop. I went ahead purchase a higher level mqa smsl do200 and there was no pop. I could hear the difference between mqa and pcm on high resolution. I like the sound of mqa over pcm the sound was exciting and addicting.

Back