TV Optical & Trigger Out Setup

PeterMann

Just received my pro and mostly impressed with it! But the setup I had in mind for my TV and stereo doesn’t work nearly well enough.

I want my ‘stereo’ (a DAC with a trigger input and active monitors which are in turn triggered from the DAC) to turn on automatically either when the TV turns on or I start streaming music from a device. And I want it to turn the stereo off after some time when both the TV is off and no device is streaming.

The first issue is one I’ve seen mentioned already on the forums, where the pro doesn’t detect that the TV’s optical is idle and switch back to wifi/ethernet mode. This is frustrating but seems solvable in principle with an update. In my case the TV’s optical shuts off completely when the TV is off (no red light) so it doesn’t need to detect audio level or anything like that. So that would be my feature request #1.

Next, trying to get the trigger stuff working is very laborious because of the unspecified delay you have to wait for before the 12v drops to zero. It would be great if the trigger followed the timing of the standby setting so you can just wait 30s to see if things are working as expected. I’m still not sure whether certain sequences of TV and streaming and the trigger output’s behaviour are not working at all, or just not working because I didn’t wait long enough. My request #2 would be some UI in the app to turn the trigger immediately on and off for fast testing and clarity around the turn off time or even better just make standby time the trigger turn off time.

I’m still experimenting but will report back after I’ve figured out exactly what does definitely work. But at present am a bit disappointed after finally finding a seemingly perfect solution to my years-long problem of turning the stereo on and off (I’ve used all manner of power saving outlets and so on), only to find it lacking. I’m desperate for some updates that might make this work! Otherwise I think I’m going to consider returning it.

Yeah, after more experimenting and troubleshooting I’m desperate for the app to surface the trigger state. Even if you couldn’t change it (if that’s hard to implement for some reason) just seeing whether it’s on or off would make troubleshooting the downstream equipment a lot easier.

I've asked the same questions for the same reasons without much luck getting a response from Wiim.. basically just give the app a standby ON/OFF button and have the Wiim (and 12V trigger output) follow its status. Simple! Basically exactly what the Yamaha WXC-50 streamer does very nicely. It's not rocket science surely? Although Wiim would also need to make the status LED do something logical/meaningful too, which also seems beyond them...

In the meantime I've given up on them ever fixing the Spdif muting/crackling/distorting issue, despite almost every firmware update making reference to it, so I've pretty much given up on using the unit 😬

agree with everything wiim if you hear this ( i alreasldy submitted a ticket no response )

Back