Upper limit of mini devices in wifi mesh?

kechambe

Is there an upper limit on the number of devices in a WiFi mesh?

This particular use case is around synch auto across boats in a tie-up. Probably does matter but output will be line or optical to the boats sound system.

Not aware of a limit on the number of devices in a Linkplay group - guess you might need to directly raise a ticket to WiiM for such info. What sort of numbers are you talking about?

I would love to learn 250 devices are no problem.

Knowing 50 works or “should work” is enough.

I worked at Cisco once upon a time ago and can figure out how to scale the network side of things. Just want to know if there are any know limits or product enforced limits before I buy 50 of these things for $5000. 🙂

That's a lot!

Compared to its siblings, the Mini only has a quarter of the Ram and half the processing power. I understand Linkplay groups use a primary/secondary model where the primary device in a group takes on the role of receiving the stream and then distributes that to the secondary. Consequently, it might mean a Pro or Plus would have to take on that primary role.

I think your use case is probably fairly unique so you would really need WiiM engineers to say definitively what could be achieved. Contact them by email or by raising a ticket thru the settings/feedback section in the WiiM app. Good luck.

the music will be sent from a DJ mixer. I can buy a couple Pros if that enables more scale.

Maybe I should open a support case.

You could go the old school route and use the FM band. I own one of these and it works well, I used it in the pre-streaming days connected to a SirusXM receiver and got more than the advertised 150 feet from it. Be mindful that the FCC might not approve.

Whole House FM Transmitter 3.0 https://a.co/d/4PobFza

Back