Weak WiFi

Witterings

Major Contributor
Where the WiiM's placed it always gets a weak WiFi signal / warning whilst every other phone / tablet in the same place is showing a strong signal.

Does anyone know how the WiiM measures the connection, is it like a phone where it just indicates how strong it is to the access point it's connected to or does it measure the throughput / connection speed does anyone know?
I have tried connecting a 2nd WiiM in case it was the device itself but that also had a warning / weak signal.

To further explain what I'm asking ... the internet comes into the house and is attached to a router which I'll call point A ..... there's a powerline / range extender in the room where the WiiM is which I'll call Point B.

If your phone is connected to point B it only indicates how strong that connection is between the phone and point B and doesn't take into account how strong the connection is between points A and B so it might be telling you there's a very strong signal but the overall connection and speeds may be poor.

Is it the same with the WiiM or does it actually measure the overall connection and internet speed rather than just the connection from the WiiM to point B does anyone happen to know.

In Network Status, it shows WiFi Strength, which is exactly what it says: the strength of the WiFi connection. I am surprised that there is weak WiFi if the Wiim is connected to a WiFi access point (B) in the same room. Are you sure that it is connecting to B and not to A?

As per DRC, I'd wonder about the connection point.
Device menu, Network status, click on the AP MAC value and I think you ought to see two entries.

In Network Status, it shows WiFi Strength, which is exactly what it says: the strength of the WiFi connection. I am surprised that there is weak WiFi if the Wiim is connected to a WiFi access point (B) in the same room. Are you sure that it is connecting to B and not to A?

As per DRC, I'd wonder about the connection point.
Device menu, Network status, click on the AP MAC value and I think you ought to see two entries.

I was wondering similar ... it's actually one I've given to / setup for a friend, there's also point C which is closer than A so I was wondering if maybe it had hooked up to that.
With my setup at home I only just been offered mesh (had full fibre installed last week) so each point until now has a different SSID and you can tell which you're actually connected to, I think I'm going to setup the new one the same way as well.

I think the WiFi aerial in WiiM is located in such a place that it can be affected by interference.

WiiM Pro stacked underneath mini amp = weak WiFi
Move amp from on top of Pro and place alongside = full strength WiFi

The Pro hasn’t moved at all and the WAP is where it’s always been.

I think the WiFi aerial in WiiM is located in such a place that it can be affected by interference.

WiiM Pro stacked underneath mini amp = weak WiFi
Move amp from on top of Pro and place alongside = full strength WiFi

The Pro hasn’t moved at all and the WAP is where it’s always been.
Yup, I think the antennae in the WiiM mini and perhaps the pro and pro+ leave something to be desired. I have three linked mini’s and the furthest one is just twenty feet away from the router and it frequently shows weak or okay. It does not seem to effect sound quality. The other two are always showing very good or excellent. My ISP says my signal strength is strong and that is why I tend to think the antennae in the mini is not so good.

Where the WiiM's placed it always gets a weak WiFi signal / warning whilst every other phone / tablet in the same place is showing a strong signal.

I have found that the antenna ( yes, wifi has a small board antenna) is weak in the Wiim Mini. My Squeeze device I tried in the same place has no issues. Nor my phone. Or tablet. Or laptop. I even bought an extender, so now it is only slow to connect and drops signal sometimes.

This is why some streamer brands have external antennas. If you haven't had it long, see if you can return it and look elsewhere. Or - run ethernet to it. I'm stuck with mine, so I'm determined to make it workable , somehow. I'm not bitter, I'm disappointed.
Over several months, I've felt that this Forum is just a Beta device message board for Mini's.

Back