WiiM Mini > DAC [via Optical] > integrated amplifier ...?

Alek Hidell

Okay, I have what is probably a very nOOb question. Just got my Wiim Mini and got it hooked up via the optical cable from the WiiM to my DAC (Topping E50). The DAC is connected to an integrated amplifier via RCA. So ... how do I set the source on the amplifier? It has four Inputs, two of which are being used. It also has Phono, Portable, and FM Tuner sources. The WiiM works if I connect it directly to the amp via the Aux Out to the Portable jack on the amplifier, but I want to see how it sounds if I run it through the DAC. But I don't understand how to set the source on the integrated amp. Am I missing a step somewhere?

Why is that of importance? Is it because you want the bitstream unaltered before it hits the external DAC?
Will playback be of better quality? Cause its playing fine through the optical toslink to the build in AK4458 in my Amp while still able to adjust the volume from within the app.

I did have to try a few options to get it playing at the max supported bitrate. In this setup i could not get higher than 48 khz / 24-bit.
Even though my amp says it supports FLAC 192 khz / 24-bit. Perhaps I just have to wait a bit longer before handshake has established a connection at higher khz.
I mainly wrote this for the OP to ensure that there was sufficient volume for them to hear the output via their amp, i.e. that it wasn't simply a lack of volume causing the original issue.
Fixed. Variable. I don't care how you use it! For me, I use fixed and control volume from my amp's remote.

To clarify, by 'I don't care' and the exclamation mark, I intended to mean however works best for you (and not specifically you, but anyone) is the right way for you.

Last edited:
Well, I cant get the plugin to work cause its missing a dll, and that dll wont register on my old win 2008 64.
I might just look for an easy 'Out of the box' UPnP solution for windows. The interface im playing from will still be Wiim right?
If your Windows PC is that old you may struggle to find anything that runs properly on it. Have you considered a Pi as a media server?

Daphile runs on pretty old hardware. It is pretty easy setup once you make a bootable usb drive. Daphile is a self contained Gentoo with LMS. Only problem is LMS is a version 8.2 vs 8.3) behind last i looked. 8.2 should work just fine.

The day may come that i trash the 2008 server and switch to a linux distro. But its not here yet. 😂
I could also add some ram and run a virtual linux box. Or run a virtual win box from a linux. Just want to keep it to one machine that runs 24/7.

Daphile runs on pretty old hardware. It is pretty easy setup once you make a bootable usb drive. Daphile is a self contained Gentoo with LMS. Only problem is LMS is a version 8.2 vs 8.3) behind last i looked. 8.2 should work just fine.
I think it’s now at 8.3.1

I use a 8GB Pi 4 with PiCorePlayer 64 bit and a 2TB USB3 SSD. Runs 24/7 at 5W and 3A. Handles 83,000 tracks. Easy peasy setup and HTML based management/setup. Free and open source.
I was going to suggest this sort of setup but Pi’s are still in short supply although it’s getting better

Back