WiiM Mini > DAC [via Optical] > integrated amplifier ...?

Alek Hidell

Okay, I have what is probably a very nOOb question. Just got my Wiim Mini and got it hooked up via the optical cable from the WiiM to my DAC (Topping E50). The DAC is connected to an integrated amplifier via RCA. So ... how do I set the source on the amplifier? It has four Inputs, two of which are being used. It also has Phono, Portable, and FM Tuner sources. The WiiM works if I connect it directly to the amp via the Aux Out to the Portable jack on the amplifier, but I want to see how it sounds if I run it through the DAC. But I don't understand how to set the source on the integrated amp. Am I missing a step somewhere?

Is the dac new too? If not, how / what did you use it for & listen through it before?
However, as the dac is connected to amp via rca it has to be to one of the analogue inputs.
Simplest would be to start something playing on the wiim then cycle througb the amp inputs until you hear it.

Also check that you have set the wiim's volume to fixed, in the Device menu, Audio settings, and that the dac is set to use its optical input.

On the back of the Topping there are Red & White RCA sockets. Run a cable from those to similar Red & White RCA inputs on your Amplifier but NOT the Phono ones (those are for a turntable).

If you don't have any spare sockets on Amplifier then you will need to use the "Portable" input which I assume is a 3.5mm jack by using a 2 x RCA to 3.5mm jack cable like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Froggen-RC...-7-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&psc=1

Do NOT use the "Bal" sockets on the Topping.

Thank you both. I figured out the first question ... my CD/DVD player is connected to the DAC via coaxial, and the DAC is connected via RCA to the Input 1 ports of the amplifier. So, duh, I realized the WiiM will also play through the Input 1 source of my amplifier.

But thanks very much to @Mr Ee for pointing me to the Device settings in the WiiM app. I had overlooked it entirely. Once I followed those instructions, everything is working fine now. Appreciate your help!

Also check that you have set the wiim's volume to fixed, in the Device menu,
Why is that of importance? Is it because you want the bitstream unaltered before it hits the external DAC?
Will playback be of better quality? Cause its playing fine through the optical toslink to the build in AK4458 in my Amp while still able to adjust the volume from within the app.

I did have to try a few options to get it playing at the max supported bitrate. In this setup i could not get higher than 48 khz / 24-bit.
Even though my amp says it supports FLAC 192 khz / 24-bit. Perhaps I just have to wait a bit longer before handshake has established a connection at higher khz.

Why is that of importance? Is it because you want the bitstream unaltered before it hits the external DAC?
Will playback be of better quality? Cause its playing fine through the optical toslink to the build in AK4458 in my Amp while still able to adjust the volume from within the app.

I did have to try a few options to get it playing at the max supported bitrate. In this setup i could not get higher than 48 khz / 24-bit.
Even though my amp says it supports FLAC 192 khz / 24-bit. Perhaps I just have to wait a bit longer before handshake has established a connection at higher khz.
You need fixed volume and EQ off for bit perfect output

I would say it doesn’t matter with Spotify as it’s a lossy compressed format anyway
Agree entirely. Of course that will all change when Spotify release their HiFi product but I doubt we will be talking about the current WiiM products when that happens.

Seriously though it does raise an interesting point about bit perfect streaming from the more serious sources - Qobuz etc. Should you turn off all available “normalisation” settings to achieve bit perfect sound and does a WiiM obey replay gain tags on local files?

... does a WiiM obey replay gain tags on local files?
Local files? You can only play from a DLNA server right? No way to access a smb path?
Its been quite awhile since i last ran a dlna and that only for video files. Are we sure that the dlna server doesnt tinker with the bits it streams?
From what i remember, my Plex back then did offer some (optional) transcoding options.

Local files? You can only play from a DLNA server right? No way to access a smb path?
Its been quite awhile since i last ran a dlna and that only for video files. Are we sure that the dlna server doesnt tinker with the bits it streams?
From what i remember, my Plex back then did offer some (optional) transcoding options.
By local files I meant those on the same device as your WiiM Home App as well as those on a DLNA server or in my case my LMS server with the UPnP/DLNA bridge plugin.
I use Plex for video and it has access to my music files but it’s rubbish compared to LMS

By local files I meant those on the same device as your WiiM Home App as well as those on a DLNA server or in my case my LMS server with the UPnP/DLNA bridge plugin.
I use Plex for video and it has access to my music files but it’s rubbish compared to LMS
Thank you for that tip.
I just installed the LMS on my server but I haven't gotten the UPnP bridge plugin working yet. But ill keep trying.

We should post a LMS and essential plugins setup guide here - whatcha think?
A good idea but LMS on which platform? Or do you mean post the basic install?
I’ve posted my working settings for WiiM Mini and 2.1.11 Dev version of UPnP/DLNA bridge on LMS forum in 3rd Party Hardware but not sure how you could easily explain how to get the dev version to that level but not beyond.

Oh it’s a rabbit hole indeed. I’m curious why gapless seems to work for me on the default upnp plugin that gets installed on my system and you had to use the dev. I tested with several albums, but haven’t cued up DSOTM - wife hates Pink Floyd.

Oh it’s a rabbit hole indeed. I’m curious why gapless seems to work for me on the default upnp plugin that gets installed on my system and you had to use the dev. I tested with several albums, but haven’t cued up DSOTM - wife hates Pink Floyd.
My purchase coincided with Philippe releasing his dev versions of the bridges as live then pulling them back to dev because of issues.

On day 1 my WiiM worked as I had the then live version 1.8.x from memory. The following day it didn’t work as I foolishly allowed an update to 2.1.1 which didn’t work. Philippe got all sorts of complaints and worked for some days releasing various new versions. At 2.1.11 it all started working again. Then he reverted the new stuff back to Dev.
If I uninstall and then reinstall I will go back to 1.8.x unless I explicitly go Dev.
Should add that I have other LMS installs to test with. I really ought to retest 1.8.x

Well, I cant get the plugin to work cause its missing a dll, and that dll wont register on my old win 2008 64.
I might just look for an easy 'Out of the box' UPnP solution for windows. The interface im playing from will still be Wiim right?

Back