Wiim pro 0.5A

mej69

Hello. I have a Yamaha AS 501 amplifier and I connected the power supply from the 0.5A USB amplifier to Wim pro. Everything works, but does it affect the quality? According to the data, 1.5A power supply is needed

Hello. I have a Yamaha AS 501 amplifier and I connected the power supply from the 0.5A USB amplifier to Wim pro. Everything works, but does it affect the quality? According to the data, 1.5A power supply is needed
From my experience, I think it can affect the sound quality. We I recommend using a charging adapter with the required power.

Last edited:
Current required will vary under load conditions and the correct ampage should be adhered to . It’s fine to go over as it won’t draw more than its max current but not lower than the required level or it can under perform, crash etc or just not work.

From my experience, I think it can affect the sound quality. We I recommend using a charging adapter with the required power.
Using the charger from the set is not convenient because the Wiim is turned on all the time unnecessarily.

Has anyone measured how much current the WIIM draws at maximum volume using an optical cable?

Has anyone measured how much current the WIIM draws at maximum volume using an optical cable?

I think someone did
Someone did measure the current draw some time ago. Try a search and it should pop up

It's strange, according to the measurements it turns out that at idle it draws more than the Yamaha can generate, and for me it sounds great at 0.5A. Has Yamaha lowered the USB output?

It's strange, according to the measurements it turns out that at idle it draws more than the Yamaha can generate, and for me it sounds great at 0.5A. Has Yamaha lowered the USB output?
You may be confusing watts with amps.

Do you have a WiiM pro?
The Pro consumes less power than the Pro plus.
---------
The Pro Plus is more power hungry. It needs almost 2.6 W (0.5 A / 5.1 V) when idle with a wired network. It rises to above 4.5 W (0.9 A / 5.1 V) when sine 1 kHz at 96 kHz is played. On the other hand the Pro needs 1.3 W (0.25 A / 5.1 V) and almost 1.7 W (0.32 A / 5.1 V) respectively.
---------

Do you have a WiiM pro?
The Pro consumes less power than the Pro plus.
---------
The Pro Plus is more power hungry. It needs almost 2.6 W (0.5 A / 5.1 V) when idle with a wired network. It rises to above 4.5 W (0.9 A / 5.1 V) when sine 1 kHz at 96 kHz is played. On the other hand the Pro needs 1.3 W (0.25 A / 5.1 V) and almost 1.7 W (0.32 A / 5.1 V) respectively.
---------
I have a wiim pro (not plus) I use the optical output and in the future I plan to use coax. To sum up, I can use the Wiim Pro connected to the Yamaha As501 0.5 ampere USB output without any worries or loss of quality?

I have a wiim pro (not plus) I use the optical output and in the future I plan to use coax. To sum up, I can use the Wiim Pro connected to the Yamaha As501 0.5 ampere USB output without any worries or loss of quality?
I can't vouch for it.

The WiiM Pro specs are 5V1.5A and comes with a 5V2A power adapter. In other words, at least a 5V 1.5A or higher adapter is recommended.

Reactions: edu
Can you explain why you intend to switch from optical out to coax? I had a similar question on which output is best when not using the internal DAC, but didn't get much of a response.

Can you explain why you intend to switch from optical out to coax? I had a similar question on which output is best when not using the internal DAC, but didn't get much of a response.
Could be various reasons...
Some prefer optical due to the inherent electrical isolation.
Some prefer coax as some dacs max out at 96khz on optical, whereas coax usually (but not always) doesn't.
From what I've seen, many publications say coax is "better" (often without much justification, but seemingly 'cos of more likely support for high sample rates).
Some may just have only a spare coax input, e.g. if tv is using the optical input.

For me - convenience.
Coax is one amp input away from analog.
One button press (+ or -) or one knob twist/click to switch sources.

Edit: one more reason why you can see I use optical in most of my setups in my signature - the wiims come with an optical cable!
And, of course, no choice with a mini!

Edit 2: I believe the response you got was the best one. Try for yourself, don't let others tell you what is best for you.
Personally, I very much dislike the pro's analog output. But optical vs coax into my amp... I really can't tell them apart.

Last edited:
Could be various reasons...
Some prefer optical due to the inherent electrical isolation.
Some prefer coax as some dacs max out at 96khz on optical, whereas coax usually (but not always) doesn't.
From what I've seen, many publications say coax is "better" (often without much justification, but seemingly 'cos of more likely support for high sample rates).
Some may just have only a spare coax input, e.g. if tv is using the optical input.

For me - convenience.
Coax is one amp input away from analog.
One button press (+ or -) or one knob twist/click to switch sources.

Edit: one more reason why you can see I use optical in most of my setups in my signature - the wiims come with an optical cable!
And, of course, no choice with a mini!

Edit 2: I believe the response you got was the best one. Try for yourself, don't let others tell you what is best for you.
Personally, I very much dislike the pro's analog output. But optical vs coax into my amp... I really can't tell them apart.
I appreciate the reply. I'm mostly looking for empirical answers to a question I have less experience with. This is all measurable and I would think it would be a settled discussion, but it sounds like I might be oversimplifying it if we are independently seeing people say conflicting things. Or, this could come down to different devices nice supporting a standard that would tell us which is the ideal connection for the type of audio signals being streamed through Tidal, Amazon, etc.

I don't do good with the try whatever sounds better to you answers because I'm not setup for a blind A/B test, and any switching would be known to me and would take too much time in between, require dB matching, etc.

I appreciate the reply. I'm mostly looking for empirical answers to a question I have less experience with. This is all measurable and I would think it would be a settled discussion, but it sounds like I might be oversimplifying it if we are independently seeing people say conflicting things. Or, this could come down to different devices nice supporting a standard that would tell us which is the ideal connection for the type of audio signals being streamed through Tidal, Amazon, etc.

I don't do good with the try whatever sounds better to you answers because I'm not setup for a blind A/B test, and any switching would be known to me and would take too much time in between, require dB matching, etc.
You'll not find any consensus on any hifi forum!
e.g. some swear by R2R dacs, others will say they measure poorly.

Rather than A/B testing, switching, volume matching etc., just try living with one connection for a week or so, then switch to another for a while. You might just find one feels more natural / better than another.

Yeah, coax v optical, plastic v glass fibre, changing power supplies especially when using just digital out etc etc often cause a lot of very polarised discussions on forums like this so that’s why I normally say let your ears decide. Personally I don’t find any difference between coax and optical from my WiiM devices into my amp

You could end up damaging your Yamaha if the Wiim try’s to pull too much current from the device.
Optical can suffer more from jitter and if the dac doesn’t have great jitter rejection it could have locking issues and in extreme cases affect SQ. Chord recommend optical for a lot of their DACs over any other connection. You use what your prefer or works best in your setup.

Back