WiiM Pro and "full" MQA

Achim1811

Major Contributor
Although I cancelled my Tidal HiFi Plus a while ago I've had a chat with friends yesterday.
As long as WiiM Pro has no USB out I think this unfolding up to 192 is not possible. The Tidal app does first, WiiM the second (?) and for the last unfolding an MQA abled USB DAC is needed. I could not find this ability for opt/coax. Or am I as often absolutely wrong?

Some dacs do mqa over optical / coax, but yes, a number of dacs only do it over usb.
Some dacs are just renderers, doing the 2nd unfold; some are decoders and renderers, doing all the unfolding.
Wiim can do the first unfold, aka core decoding, up to 96khz, so if your dac is a renderer you'd choose this option.
If your dac does it all then you can choose decoder and renderer, or no mqa, as long as bit perfect is being sent.
Requires Tidal Connect.

Although I cancelled my Tidal HiFi Plus a while ago I've had a chat with friends yesterday.
As long as WiiM Pro has no USB out I think this unfolding up to 192 is not possible. The Tidal app does first, WiiM the second (?) and for the last unfolding an MQA abled USB DAC is needed. I could not find this ability for opt/coax. Or am I as often absolutely wrong?
@Achim1811
As you say i could be completely wrong, but i think that as @Mr Ee says some DAC can do it. For example SMSL 500 MKIII or Topping E50.
I can’t try because i have not Tidal and moreover i’m absolutely not interested in MQA ;)

Not yet despite Tidal having just started releasing hi res flac
Is this official? I downgraded Tidal a couple of months ago but I do like their sound “signature” more natural in my set up than Qobuz for reasons I can’t explain in words, just my ears!

Is this official? I downgraded Tidal a couple of months ago but I do like their sound “signature” more natural in my set up than Qobuz for reasons I can’t explain in words, just my ears!

What is the meaning of the MQA? Forget about him! Tidal cancels this format, it's almost dead! A full-fledged hi-res (24/192) can be given with WiiM Pro via coaxial cable to the DAC of an amplifier or active acoustics. Now tracks 24/192 will be not only in Qobus, but also in Tidal))

Many thanks for this information 😇
In my opening and in a good number of my previous posts I blamed MQA as what it is. A big fraud. It asked a pure technical question.

Many thanks for this information 😇
In my opening and in a good number of my previous posts I blamed MQA as what it is. A big fraud. It asked a pure technical question.
The only thing that make sense with MQA is the space and bandwidth save for hires files, at "quite the same" listening results. Maybe sometimes, this could be interesting and may helps to save some grams of CO2...
All other, from the studio approvation to the drm's and cost, if are not fraud, they are very close to...

The only thing that make sense with MQA is the space and bandwidth save for hires files, at "quite the same" listening results. Maybe sometimes, this could be interesting and may helps to save some grams of CO2...
All other, from the studio approvation to the drm's and cost, if are not fraud, they are very close to...
MQA saves CO2?!?

It was absolutely not my intention to open another MQA discussion! When MQA started I was something fascinated, bringing a purple or as we call it magenta light awake. So not only a 192 but also another "proof of delivery" one proudly could show the wide-eyed audience. But latest with the experience from Golden Sound this stopped rapidly.
I call it fraud and I blame Tidal for this business idea. My reason for this thread was only about the technical things in MQA related to WiiM.
"Asked for a friend". This questions are answered, thank you for that.
And the best of all: There is a bunch of alternatives!

Back