WiiM Pro no longer bit perfect?

Hi Hopkins, Team

When streaming, the WiiM devices produce bit-perfect output with fixed volume and EQ turned off.

For optical inputs, the output may differ slightly due to the device managing clock skew between the upstream source and the WiiM.

I hope this clarifies your query.

Have you tested this recently, and if so, how?

Have you tested this recently, and if so, how?
Hi Hopkins, Team

Our testing method involves comparing the device's output with an offline bit-perfect decoder for precise accuracy.

Please note, slight differences at the start and end of playback are due to fade-in and fade-out effects, implemented to prevent popping noises. You can disable these by going to 'Device' > 'Device Settings' (gear icon) > 'Audio Settings', and toggling off 'Fade-In & Fade-Out Effects'.

It is not related to fade effects as the stream is being truncated even if fade effects are disabled. Some samples are missing, not faded, and this behavior can be seen with squeezelite client when the queue with mixed sample rates is used. It does not happen with Roon where the stream is truly bit-perfect.

Hi Hopkins, Team

When streaming, the WiiM devices produce bit-perfect output with fixed volume and EQ turned off.

For optical inputs, the output may differ slightly due to the device managing clock skew between the upstream source and the WiiM.

I hope this clarifies your query.
So… toslink in and out not bit perfect.

So… toslink in and out not bit perfect.
Attaining bit-perfect audio with optical in/out is challenging as it requires both devices to have identical clocks, which is rare in practice. However, our clock skew adjustment is only applied when absolutely necessary, ensuring the output matches the input most of the time.

Attaining bit-perfect audio with optical in/out is challenging as it requires both devices to have identical clocks, which is rare in practice. However, our clock skew adjustment is only applied when absolutely necessary, ensuring the output matches the input most of the time.
I quite agree! Seems like a totally unrealistic expectation.
Can any device not using a master clock pass through such a signal without any adjustment?

What about missing samples / truncated stream when squeezelite client is used? I've reported it in #495021 ticket.
Hi onlyoneme,

Thank you for submitting your ticket. Our team is investigating the issue of missing samples when using the squeezelite client.

Back