Wiim Pro Plus + Headphones

rkh1

I’m brand new to streaming so sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there a way to plug headphones into the Pro Plus?
Thanks for your help.

No. You'll need a headphone amplifier. Since the Plus has a good RCA output a straightforward analog amp will suffice, such as a Schiit Magni in its latest flavour or of course a headamp from one of the reputable Chinese HiFi brands.

Thanks Ratty, i was looking at Schiit this morning figuring that might be the case. Since you are a Wiim user let me ask you a question - I went and listened to the Bluesound Node this morning and was pretty impressed. In your opinion do you think the Wiim Pro Plus can stand up to either the Node or Node X as far as streaming is concerned? The Nodes have a headphone input, but I probably will only listen to headphones about 15-20% of the time so it’s not a factor for me. I’m more concerned with the sound quality for streaming. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks Ratty, i was looking at Schiit this morning figuring that might be the case. Since you are a Wiim user let me ask you a question - I went and listened to the Bluesound Node this morning and was pretty impressed. In your opinion do you think the Wiim Pro Plus can stand up to either the Node or Node X as far as streaming is concerned? The Nodes have a headphone input, but I probably will only listen to headphones about 15-20% of the time so it’s not a factor for me. I’m more concerned with the sound quality for streaming. Thanks again for your help.
As a standalone, the Bluesound is better. The WiiM isn't really to be used as a standalone product. It prime mission is to allow you stream to an existing system.

Since you are a Wiim user let me ask you a question - I went and listened to the Bluesound Node this morning and was pretty impressed. In your opinion do you think the Wiim Pro Plus can stand up to either the Node or Node X as far as streaming is concerned?
Sorry, haven't a clue. I'm not a BS user (I have Sonos speakers for multiroom), but as a pure streamer WiiM Pro (not Plus) is bit-perfect and does everything I need* for personal headphone listening through an RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Be sure to check out the BS software and make sure you're happy with it.

*Apart from Qobuz Connect, but that's not WiiM's doing. ;)

Sorry, haven't a clue. I'm not a BS user (I have Sonos speakers for multiroom), but as a pure streamer WiiM Pro (not Plus) is bit-perfect and does everything I need* for personal headphone listening through an RME ADI-2 DAC FS. Be sure to check out the BS software and make sure you're happy with it.

*Apart from Qobuz Connect, but that's not WiiM's doing. ;)
Will do, thanks again.

As a standalone, the Bluesound is better. The WiiM isn't really to be used as a standalone product. It prime mission is to allow you stream to an existing system.
I’d perhaps say that for the Mini or Pro, but not necessarily for the Pro Plus.

Good point Brantome and thanks for letting me know. I plan on using Qubuz. I went and hoped to listen to the Bluesound Node X yesterday and the store was out, but did get it listen and play around with the Node and Qubuz app. Now that I’m retired I’m getting back into audio and am amazed at what vinyl and streaming has accomplished. I really haven’t listened much in last 10 years so a lot of this is new to me. The return to vinyl has really sparked my interest, but dang if I can buy a master cut album every time I hear a great song! That’s what is driving me to streaming so I can enjoy high res music and only buy an album when I really “must” have it, if that makes sense. My vintage McIntosh amp and pre amp is in the shop just to insure everything is up to spec so I have a few weeks to kill until I get it back. I plan on evaluating the Wiim Pro Plus once I get set back up. This will just be for streaming so I’m striving to find what sounds best for $800ish or below.

I ask here before opening another thread.
As I sold my ifi Zen DAC/CAN combo lately I search a new headphone amp.
I have the WiiM Pro + working with an old Marantz PM 78 connectect via RCA.
The headphone amp must drive 250 Ohm headphones and Fostex planar headphones which need lot of power and can be used with symmetrical cables too.

As my amp has no digital or optic in/out the only way from the WiiM is RCA. That means the WiiM has to go into the headphone amp mainly with RCA because of full potential (all others reduce it in khz) and from there to my Marantz via RCA.

Is that possible or how do I connect theses three parts?

I would spend hm 400-500€ for the headphone amp. And I don´t want any amp with usb in for the music. I dont have any PC near thats why sold the ifi combo.

I ask here before opening another thread.
As I sold my ifi Zen DAC/CAN combo lately I search a new headphone amp.
I have the WiiM Pro + working with an old Marantz PM 78 connectect via RCA.
The headphone amp must drive 250 Ohm headphones and Fostex planar headphones which need lot of power and can be used with symmetrical cables too.

As my amp has no digital or optic in/out the only way from the WiiM is RCA. That means the WiiM has to go into the headphone amp mainly with RCA because of full potential (all others reduce it in khz) and from there to my Marantz via RCA.

Is that possible or how do I connect theses three parts?

I would spend hm 400-500€ for the headphone amp. And I don´t want any amp with usb in for the music. I dont have any PC near thats why sold the ifi combo.
What I can recommend from own experience is the Musical Fidelity LX2-HPA. A pure headphone amp. It drove all my headphones up to my old Beyerdynamics DT-880 in the 600 Ohm versions without any issue. And with the sticker 228 € (in Germany) the price is very reasonable. Worth a closer look.

In the setup with your Plus you have only the internal DAC from the WiiM in charge.
I used the headphone amps with other integrated amps which had a bad or no headphone section. That means no DAC in this case. Source have been tuners, cd players and turntables.

Back