WiiM Pro Plus

Just checked. It seems the recent Pro disappeared on Amazon Germany.

Hi there
I am currently running a WiiM pro through the coaxial output to Marantz PM6005 amp using its internal Cirrus Logic CS4398 Dac would I get better quality using a WiiM Pro+ Dac to the analogue input on the amp?.
Any ideas would be useful.

Hi there
I am currently running a WiiM pro through the coaxial output to Marantz PM6005 amp using its internal Cirrus Logic CS4398 Dac would I get better quality using a WiiM Pro+ Dac to the analogue input on the amp?.
Any ideas would be useful.
That’s a very difficult question to answer unless someone has heard both units (which currently won’t be the case) and even then the answer is bound to be very subjective - and that’s before asking what is meant by “better quality”. Only your ears (and brain) can decide that…

That’s a very difficult question to answer unless someone has heard both units (which currently won’t be the case) and even then the answer is bound to be very subjective - and that’s before asking what is meant by “better quality”. Only your ears (and brain) can decide that…
I was going to say pretty much that as well.
The DAC chip in the Pro + is a AKM 4493SEQ which is technically more advanced that the Cirrus Logic CS4398 in your Marantz. The AKM has, for example, 32 bit capability but is that relevant to you? Probably not. Will it sound better? Only you can decide.

Interesting...Pro has vanished from amazon uk today, just as I was about to pounce...ordered it from 'ripcaster', so that bodes well...🙂
It’s still there in the amazon WiiM store but at £199, and the bundle with the remote is no longer there. I’d wait a few days to see if the upcoming Wiim Pro Plus appears and maybe then the situation with the Pro will go back to what it was a few days ago.
@WiiM Support , @WiiM Team - is this £199 listing for the Pro on amazon uk just a hiccup?

Amazon Germany offers one remaining used Pro for 177 €. But that is half an hour old status.

New situation. Not available.

IMG_1430.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing the £199 is the pricing for the yet-to-be-available Pro+.
Unlikely, I’d say nearer the £219/229 mark including remote. Amazon tech tends to be the same number with just a change of currency sign. As I say, leave it for a day or two until the listings are sorted out.

It’s still there in the amazon WiiM store but at £199, and the bundle with the remote is no longer there. I’d wait a few days to see if the upcoming Wiim Pro Plus appears and maybe then the situation with the Pro will go back to what it was a few days ago.
@WiiM Support , @WiiM Team - is this £199 listing for the Pro on amazon uk just a hiccup?
I noticed the £199 price, but the price from yesterday wasn't there...I have been prevaricating for a wee while now and finally decided today was the day...I currently run a usb out from laptop into a very old behringer 202 with a burr brown dac, into my old modest KA76 & Kef c20's and they sparkle...I know the current pro uses a bb from rca so for convenience sake I want to try it to see if I can experience similar musical joy...hence ripcaster and mild panic over...

Last edited:
For all the measurements that we have and actual every day use of the Wiim Pro is more than an contrary conclusion. What I mean is that while the measurements may give a negative impression to many wanting to squeeze every last 0 out of their digital box in actual real life usage its a different story. I use a Wiim Pro with high quality QED interconnects into various Class A/B and Class D amplifiers. I use the line out straight to the amps also a Topping E50 dac and after testing both the difference is marginal. The Wiim pro really is good value for money and sounds great whether using analogue or digital outputs. I replaced my Denon dnp730ae with the Wiim Pro and never looked back, that was an £800 streamer back in 2012! The only advantage according to this thread with the new Wiim Pro Plus is the analogue connection and again it’s probably only going to be marginally better. I honestly think the Wiim Pro sounds fine even via RCA straight to my amp, its clear, dynamic and at the moment is performing really well feeding a Class D power amp with plenty of adjustable volume on the Wiims remote control which is also very pleasing to have this much power from the Wiim itself feeding the amp. Its great for smaller amps to have this strength in a source, the Wiim Pro beats my laptop and PC here. Linkplay have done a fine job regardless of minuscule anomalies found in ultra sensitive measuring equipment that really do not have an impact on day to day performance and I am satisfied with my experience in finding out.

Last edited:
For all the measurements that we have and actual every day use of the Wiim Pro is more than a contrary conclusion. What I mean is that while the measurements may give a negative impression to many wanting to squeeze every last 0 out of their digital box in actual real life usage its a different story. I use a Wiim Pro with high quality QED interconnects into various Class A/B and Class D amplifiers. I use the line out straight to the amps also a Topping E50 dac and after testing both the difference is marginal. The Wiim pro really is good value for money and sounds great whether using analogue or digital outputs. I replaced my Denon dnp730ae with the Wiim Pro and never looked back, that was an £800 streamer back in 2012! The only advantage according to this thread with the new Wiim Pro Plus is the analogue connection and again it’s probably only going to be marginally better. I honestly think the Wiim Pro sounds fine even via RCA straight to my amp, its clear, dynamic and at the moment is performing really well feeding a Class D power amp with plenty of adjustable volume on the Wiims remote control which is also very pleasing to have this much power from the Wiim itself feeding the amp. Its great for smaller amps to have this strength in a source, the Wiim Pro beats my laptop and PC here. Linkplay have done a fine job regardless of minuscule anomalies found in ultra sensitive measuring equipment that really do not have an impact on day to day performance and I am satisfied with my experience in finding out.
I would pay even for 5% perceived audible improvement

For all the measurements that we have and actual every day use of the Wiim Pro is more than an contrary conclusion. What I mean is that while the measurements may give a negative impression to many wanting to squeeze every last 0 out of their digital box in actual real life usage its a different story. I use a Wiim Pro with high quality QED interconnects into various Class A/B and Class D amplifiers. I use the line out straight to the amps also a Topping E50 dac and after testing both the difference is marginal. The Wiim pro really is good value for money and sounds great whether using analogue or digital outputs. I replaced my Denon dnp730ae with the Wiim Pro and never looked back, that was an £800 streamer back in 2012! The only advantage according to this thread with the new Wiim Pro Plus is the analogue connection and again it’s probably only going to be marginally better. I honestly think the Wiim Pro sounds fine even via RCA straight to my amp, its clear, dynamic and at the moment is performing really well feeding a Class D power amp with plenty of adjustable volume on the Wiims remote control which is also very pleasing to have this much power from the Wiim itself feeding the amp. Its great for smaller amps to have this strength in a source, the Wiim Pro beats my laptop and PC here. Linkplay have done a fine job regardless of minuscule anomalies found in ultra sensitive measuring equipment that really do not have an impact on day to day performance and I am satisfied with my experience in finding out.
if we consider that the dac part of the pro is just that of the mini a little "cleaner" ... I do not share your appreciation on the analog output side ... I find it really disappointing ... a fairly physio balance and a bad treble integrated, a little dirty (but some aeration), less coherent, integrated than a modest and old chromecast (but much much more stable in wifi, but the chromecast of 2014 from memory) and I will be really curious to listen to the pro plus at occasion

Last edited:
if we consider that the dac part of the pro is just that of the mini a little "cleaner" ... I do not share your appreciation on the analog output side ... I find it really disappointing ... a fairly physio balance and a bad treble integrated, a little dirty (but some aeration), less coherent, integrated than a modest and old chromecast (but much much more stable in wifi, but the chromecast of 20140 from memory) and I will be really curious to listen to the pro plus at occasion
It maybe your partnered equipment but mine seems fine. I am using some mid quality amplification and the Topping E50 is no joke where detail, dynamics and resolution is concerned. The straight RCA connection is clear as a bell with my class d stuff, detailed, punchy and dynamic not dull, dirty or thin. Im using a BRZHIFI 3255XLR amp with opa1622 op amps and an Fosi Audio V3 with Muses 8820d op amps and both are superbly clear with the Wiim Pro connected via RCA. In fact I really was suprised at the result after reading so much doom amd gloom on Audio Science Review concerning using the line out. I think its being overly played as bad and unrealistically condemned. I also use an Onkyo A9010 class a/b with zero issues…

I'm with @canard on this one - the pro's analog out just isn't very good. Not bad, for casual listening / background music / parties; but not good.
% improvements are hard to quantify, but if the pro+ analog out sounds anything at all like the pro does through my other dacs then, imo, it's easily more than 25% better.
Some context for that? I simply find listening to the pro analog out unengaging.

Just throwing this out there for comments if anyone has any - would the new WiiM Pro Plus make much of a difference in sound quality with analog out to my AudioEngine A5+ speakers vs. just the regular WiiM Pro? Just wondering if it’s worth the cost difference between Pro and Pro Plus - not sure how much ‘high-end’ equipment is really needed to notice a significant difference (I currently do not use any DACs in my various setups - I know … blasphemy). Thanks.

Just throwing this out there for comments if anyone has any - would the new WiiM Pro Plus make much of a difference in sound quality with analog out to my AudioEngine A5+ speakers vs. just the regular WiiM Pro? Just wondering if it’s worth the cost difference between Pro and Pro Plus - not sure how much ‘high-end’ equipment is really needed to notice a significant difference (I currently do not use any DACs in my various setups - I know … blasphemy). Thanks.
Not sure if I ought to be conversing with such a heathen, but...

It's probably one of those situations where only you can decide whether any difference is significant enough for you to justify the cost differential.
As you can see from previous comments, some of us think the difference an external dac makes to the pro is significant, others don't, for whatever reasons that may be.

Maybe you've got a real friend (i.e. not someone here!) you can borrow a dac from just to see for yourself?
And maybe this, too, is blasphemey to some, but maybe try some different interconnects too.

Back