WiiM Pro Plus

I'm using WiiM Pro and few of my friends

We decided to check, whether Linear Power Supply make any difference and hence added it to the chain with WiiM PRO and we were surprised to see a good, huge difference

So, its proven that LPS make a positive difference in WiiM Pro's performance

Would be great if, WiiM Team gives a due consideration and does the needful in their next version of WiiM Streamer
Using the Pro's analog or digital optical or coax outputs? I think it's fair to say that others, including me, can't see why there would be any difference when using digital as I can't get my head round how an LPS could make a bit perfect stream more perfect...

Well, he sounded pretty convincing to me. I guess no further investigation necessary. 😉

No, seriously. I've played with different PSUs before. Linear power supplies always sounded worse to me. Boomy, muddy. The original switching PSUs sounded the best. I was shocked at that time that the sound difference was really huge, because I didn't expect it. I always let my wife listen too and have her describe the differences. We heard the same. No scientific test, I know. But for me reason enough to never think about PSUs again.

Edit: Oh, and of course if the digital output is used there would be no difference whatever PSU you use. I was talking about analog.

This old chestnut came up a year ago too viz. lineair (sic) power supply but like all things audio, it'll no doubt keep popping up again and again.

And here "do you need linear power supply for dacs" where the conclusion was "It is clear that whether you use the USB power, or the supplied switching power supply, there is absolutely no audible improvement in the output of the DAC with linear power supplies. One can help himself believe otherwise by looking at the noise spectrum alone as I have shown in the last graph. But again, we don't listen to power supply wires. Those waveforms go through filtering stages even in cheapest DACs."

Statements about the positive influence of LPSes in general is like statements about streamers, DACs or amplifiers sounding the same. LPSes can vary a lot. And the particular case of an audio chain is what really matters IMO, details dictate which element has no impact and which one can have a significant one.

We decided to check, whether Linear Power Supply make any difference and hence added it to the chain with WiiM PRO and we were surprised to see a good, huge difference

Proven? What's the proof, exactly?

I see nothing but quite obvious confirmation bias here...

This old chestnut came up a year ago too viz. lineair (sic) power supply but like all things audio, it'll no doubt keep popping up again and again.

And here "do you need linear power supply for dacs" where the conclusion was "It is clear that whether you use the USB power, or the supplied switching power supply, there is absolutely no audible improvement in the output of the DAC with linear power supplies. One can help himself believe otherwise by looking at the noise spectrum alone as I have shown in the last graph. But again, we don't listen to power supply wires. Those waveforms go through filtering stages even in cheapest DACs."
I would rather focus on some comments in the mentioned thread, especially these ones of @KSTR or @solderdude.

I'm using WiiM Pro and few of my friends

Would be great if, WiiM Team gives a due consideration and does the needful in their next version of WiiM Streamer
You do realize that if it doesn’t show on measurement none of the users here will believe on what you’re saying to back up your claim. Think ASR is pure science of measurement without giving reader how actually it sound based on ear listening. Objective vs subjective that don’t agree to each other.

Reactions: SiR
My problem is mainly that too many people turn this surely valid argument on its head 😉

Think ASR is pure science of measurement without giving reader how actually it sound based on ear listening.
That's not the point. There is no "measure OR listen" scenario to begin with. We can do both just fine and see the correlation. Ear listening may also be perfectly right... Or sometimes heavily fooled. In that case, the "experiment" is just flawed : "Let see if this can make a difference" (deliberately ignoring that he and his friends already believe it will), then, "How surprising, it does indeed make HUGE difference". That's confirmation bias 100%. Only a blind test would be valid in that case. Obviously "huge difference" in sound should be seen by measurements. Otherwise, some believe in magic.;)
Main principle is quite simple - if something can be heard, then it can be measured as well
That goes without saying...

That's not the point. There is no "measure OR listen" scenario to begin with. We can do both just fine and see the correlation. Ear listening may also be perfectly right... Or sometimes heavily fooled. In that case, the "experiment" is just flawed : "Let see if this can make a difference" (deliberately ignoring that he and his friends already believe it will), then, "How surprising, it does indeed make HUGE difference". That's confirmation bias 100%. Only a blind test would be valid in that case. Obviously "huge difference" in sound should be seen by measurements. Otherwise, some believe in magic.;)

That goes without saying...
I have to weigh in here

I think some of the best money spent on any hifi is running a single line straight to the incoming power box with a single breaker feeding the receptacle where everything is plugged in

You can run a 20 A line and breaker for a few dollars in the scheme of things, although finished houses make it more complicated and likely more expensive too

Certainly not having switches, especially dimmers, on this line can do wonders for your music playback

Then, from there, any other gadgets can come into play

But that single line powering the music system is an excellent "upgrade"

Certainly not having switches, especially dimmers, on this line can do wonders for your music playback
And how is this would have any impact the performances of a Streamer/DAC exactly? How this would impact Noise, Dynamic, FR, IMD, Linearity and Harmonic Distorsion?

@VintageFlanker
If I understand him correct he does not mention any affect to the special "natural born" measurement results of the WiiM or any other streamer/DAC. But on the long way through wires, waves and air I could imagine those phenomenons 😉

Back