WiiM Pro Preview

Here's a rendering of what WiiM Pro will look like. We're expecting WiiM Pro to launch by early December and will be sold through Amazon.com. More info will be on our website www.wiimhome.com. Please stay tuned! In the meantime, we'd love to hear your thoughts on what you think of WiiM Pro 🤔

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.53.09 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.52.29 PM.png

Tech Specs
Software
  • Chromecast Audio
  • AirPlay 2
  • DLNA
  • (Roon Ready expected late Dec or early Q1 2023) - updated
  • MICless Amazon Alexa Voice Service
    (AVS) MRM (Multi-Room)
  • BT A2DP Source and Sink
  • Linkplay streaming services and multiroom
  • Spotify Connect/TIDAL Connect/Amazon Music cast
  • HD Output 24-bit/192kHz
  • Bit perfect output
  • True gapless playback
  • 10-band EQ or 24 Preset EQs
  • TI Audiophile DAC
  • Frequent FW/App updates
  • Mobile and PC App
Button and LED
  • Capacitive touch control: Play/Pause, Volume +, Volume -, 1 x Presets
  • LED: BT/WiFi/Line-in modes
Hardware
  • Connectivity: Wi-Fi 2.4G/5G, BT5.1, Ethernet (100M)
  • Line In RCA
  • Optical In
  • Line out RCA
  • Digital Coaxial Out
  • Optical SPDIF Out
  • USB Type-C power
  • 12v Trigger for AMP
  • Mic for Multiroom audio auto-sync
  • SBC and AAC codec

Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJDY6D1W

Attachments

• WiiM Pro (front).png
    WiiM Pro (front).png
    17.9 KB · Views: 2,179
  • WiiM Pro (back).png
    WiiM Pro (back).png
    24 KB · Views: 1,543
Last edited:
I believe the current Wiim Mini unit has been recently upgraded to store 12 station presets, yet the picture that I have seen for the Pro unit's handheld remote shows only 4 numbered buttons.
1 - Will the Pro unit have the ability to store more than 4 stations as presets? How many?
2 - Also, will I be able to store and save "custom" stations into the the presets (by manually inputting the station url address using a web management feature)?

Yes, the premium Hi-Fi DAC is a high-precision, low-jitter Burr-Brown PCM5121 DAC and supports up to 384 kHz/32-bit audio with 106 dB SNR. With a much larger bandwidth and more reliable connection provided by dual-band Wi-Fi than Bluetooth.
Just to confirm the Wiim Pro will use the same DAC as the Wiim Mini? So you are not upgrading the DAC in this new device?

I believe the current Wiim Mini unit has been recently upgraded to store 12 station presets, yet the picture that I have seen for the Pro unit's handheld remote shows only 4 numbered buttons.
1 - Will the Pro unit have the ability to store more than 4 stations as presets? How many?
2 - Also, will I be able to store and save "custom" stations into the the presets (by manually inputting the station url address using a web management feature)?
Re 1, see https://faq-mini.wiimhome.com/support/discussions/topics/72000779508

Re 2, the ability to use your own URL is already available under Open Network Stream. You can add these as a preset but strangely you can’t then use that preset. I’ve already raised this a bug with WiiM that I’m confident they’ll fix

Re 2, the ability to use your own URL is already available under Open Network Stream. You can add these as a preset but strangely you can’t then use that preset. I’ve already raised this a bug with WiiM that I’m confident they’ll fix

RE 1: I felt that needing to fire up the online smartphone app to do something as simple as change station was cumbersome. I was discussing the ability to access station presets by physically pressing the buttons (or a combination of buttons) on the WiiM mini unit with tech support via email this past summer. As recent as just a two weeks ago, I was informed that this feature had NOT yet been implemented. Am I reading this correctly??? Is this feature already implemented and working on the Wiim Mini? Is this feature already implemented into the upcoming Wiim Pro unit? That would be most welcome. Please advise.

RE 2: Yes... same issue when using the "custom station" feature in the TuneIn section of the Linkplay app. You can input a custom url into the TuneIn menu under "custom url"... but, if that url address is not already a part of the underlying TuneIn database, then the custom url CANNOT be saved as a station preset. Kind of defeats the purpose of having custom urls in the first place. Hope this bug gets addressed and fixed before the Pro version is released

Re 1, I think wires are getting crossed. WiiM have implemented 12 presets in their app, but I’m not aware you can use anything other than the app to access them I.e. to the best of my knowledge, they haven’t implemented a way of using the Mini itself to access those presets by touch. My link referred to their upcoming remote control which I understand will work with both the mini and pro.

Re 2, I hadn’t noticed that before as I hadn’t linked my Tunein account, although after doing that I do get mixed results - some custom URLs won’t work at all, while a couple I had set up for BBC stations which Tunein U.K. doesn’t support did work, albeit with the lower res versions rather than the higher res streams the URLs are meant to deliver. But it does play my custom Radio Paradise hires FLAC streams...

Here's a rendering of what WiiM Pro will look like. We're expecting WiiM Pro to launch by late November to early December and will be sold through Amazon.com. More info will be on our website www.wiimhome.com. Please stay tuned! In the meantime, we'd love to hear your thoughts on what you think of WiiM Pro 🤔

View attachment 1View attachment 2

Tech Specs
Software
  • Chromecast Audio
  • AirPlay 2
  • DLNA
  • (Roon expected in Q4)
    (AVS) MRM (Multi-Room)
  • Bit perfect output
  • True gapless playback
  • TI Audiophile DAC
  • Mobile and PC App
Button and LED
Hardware
  • Line In RCA
  • Optical In
  • Line out RCA
  • Digital Coaxial Out
  • Optical SPDIF Out
  • USB Type-C power
  • 12v Trigger for AMP
  • SBC and AAC codec
Will chromecast support gapless and 192khz?

Regarding 1, this suggestion is pretty and I think we can expand the 4 presets to 12 preset with double tap or other solutions.
Regarding 2, we will support it in November.

Will chromecast support gapless and 192khz?
Regarding the gapless playback with Chromecast, it is determined by the source app. If the app support gapless, Chromecast will also support it.
Regrading the 192kHz, we have tested it and Chromecast can support 192Hz playback.

Here's a rendering of what WiiM Pro will look like. We're expecting WiiM Pro to launch by late November to early December and will be sold through Amazon.com. More info will be on our website www.wiimhome.com. Please stay tuned! In the meantime, we'd love to hear your thoughts on what you think of WiiM Pro 🤔

View attachment 1View attachment 2

Tech Specs
Software
  • Chromecast Audio
  • AirPlay 2
  • DLNA
  • (Roon expected in Q4)
    (AVS) MRM (Multi-Room)
  • Bit perfect output
  • True gapless playback
  • TI Audiophile DAC
  • Mobile and PC App
Button and LED
Hardware
  • Line In RCA
  • Optical In
  • Line out RCA
  • Digital Coaxial Out
  • Optical SPDIF Out
  • USB Type-C power
  • 12v Trigger for AMP
  • SBC and AAC codec
So, I plan to buy the Pro to stream Apple Music on through my Mcintosh integrated amp Will I be able to easily connect apple music to the WIIM Pro through my iphone or mac? Will apple's lossless audio work as well?

So, I plan to buy the Pro to stream Apple Music on through my Mcintosh integrated amp Will I be able to easily connect apple music to the WIIM Pro through my iphone or mac? Will apple's lossless audio work as well?
The WiiM Pro, like the Mini, supports Airplay 2 but doesn’t support Apple Music natively like it does other services. Apple Music only appears to be natively supported on Apple devices and there’s some debate about Apple Music converting lossless files to AAC when using Airplay 2 which itself is limited to 16/48 iirc. So, no, you won’t get full support of lossless Apple Music from the Wiim, or indeed from any device using Airplay. See this link https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/apple-music-lossless-mess-part-2-airplay-r1026/

Last edited:
The WiiM Pro, like the Mini, supports Airplay 2 but doesn’t support Apple Music natively like it does other services. Apple Music only appears to be natively supported on Apple devices and there’s some debate about Apple Music converting lossless files to AAC when using Airplay 2 which itself is limited to 16/48 iirc. So, no, you won’t get full support of lossless Apple Music from the Wiim, or indeed from any device using Airplay. See this link https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-and-bytes/apple-music-lossless-mess-part-2-airplay-r1026/
My plan was to drop Amazon and get the family on Apple. Might have to reevaluate.

My plan was to drop Amazon and get the family on Apple. Might have to reevaluate.
Apple needs to decide what Apple Music is going to be.
  • If they go Old Apple, it will only be part of their walled garden. It will be used solely to sell Apple-branded hardware, and they won't license the necessary Apple technology to anybody else. In order to integrate it into current home entertainment systems, Apple would do well to design, engineer, and manufacture an affordable (by Apple standards, at least) receiver that operates like an AppleCast, supports bit-perfect Hi-Res Lossless, and enables direct source-to-endpoint streaming. The existing solutions they have suck, basically.
  • OTOH, if they go New Apple and treat the Apple Music service as its own profit center, they will try to get it anywhere and everywhere, much as Spotify, Tidal, Google, and Amazon to some extent have done, and roll out an Apple Connect solution that OEMs can integrate into their own consumer electronics products. Apple could still roll out their own receiver as above that would allow their customers to retrofit their existing entertainment systems (and given Apple's customer base, they might sell a zillion of them). If Apple goes in this direction, I imagine Wiim would happily be near the front of the line to fully support the highest-quality expansion of Apple's music service to millions of new subscribers.
I hope they take the latter route. I think it would make them way more attractive and formidable than they are today against their Amazon and Spotify competition (to say nothing of Tidal, Qobuz, Google, etc.).

Last edited:
Will the Pro do multiroom UltraHD cast from the Amazon App from the day it's released?

Any mailing list for updates on when this is released?
Im looking forward to the pro and would love to grab one as soon as its released.

Any mailing list for updates on when this is released?
Im looking forward to the pro and would love to grab one as soon as its released.

An alternative way to be alerted when the Pro becomes available is to point a webpage change monitor (like distill.io or many alternatives) at Wiim's homepage, which one would reasonably expect to get updated the minute the Pro goes GA and is on sale at Amazon.

Last edited:
An alternative way to be alerted when the Pro becomes available is to point a webpage change monitor (like distill.io or many alternatives) at Wiim's homepage, which one would reasonably expect to get updated the minute the Pro goes GA and is on sale at Amazon.
It seems like a basic thing for Wiim to email their user base to let them know about the release. Standard marketing practice.

It seems like a basic thing for Wiim to email their user base to let them know about the release. Standard marketing practice.
They don’t really have a user base in terms of a mailing list etc - haven’t seen anything on their website, nor do you need to sign up to a Wiim account to use your Mini. So how would they contact them? Best following their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/wiimhome

Back