Wiim pro setup

oldphile

My wiim pro is connected to an smsl a300 amp to elac ub5’s, the elac totally disappear in my room, I rip my cds on my laptop to Apple Lossless. I can’t figure out the Wimm shows 2 files on each songs from the laptop, one file is 1,411 kbps the other files is 900 kbps
is anyone else having the 2 files from each song?

I don't have that problem, but I do have an issue with the tracks being out of order relative to the album. It appears that Wiim is adding a sequence number and that is causing issues. So, instead of 1 being followed by 2, 1 is followed by 11, 12, 13, etc. My source file is simple a collection of Ripped CD's in MP3 format. I'll be experimenting with FLAC files soon

I don't have that problem, but I do have an issue with the tracks being out of order relative to the album. It appears that Wiim is adding a sequence number and that is causing issues. So, instead of 1 being followed by 2, 1 is followed by 11, 12, 13, etc. My source file is simple a collection of Ripped CD's in MP3 format. I'll be experimenting with FLAC files soon
The WiiM Home App has come a long way in the last 6 months so I'd be surprised if it's at fault. What media server are you using?

The app should display the tracks in the order they're delivered, so a good test would be to check with another app like mconnect.

Last edited:
Use mp3tag’s renumbering wizard to make track no’s 2 digit so 1 becomes 01.
Then use mp3tag’s tags to file name routine to rename files so 1-tracktitle.mp3 becomes 01-tracktitle.mp3
This should correct the sorting issue.

NB If you have albums with >100 tracks use 3 digits

Then use mp3tag’s tags to file name routine to rename files so 1-tracktitle.mp3 becomes 01-tracktitle.mp3

That wouldn't fix Windows Media Sharing as - from memory - it sorts by track title. Other broken servers seem to order by track number disregarding discnumber.

If the server is at fault, get a better one.

This be the one! Us old dudes discovered this little quirk back in the early ripping days, over two decades ago. DAPs will normally use the tags for sorting (that's what they are doing so slowly when powered on, building a database). But computers always use the filenames and as stated some software apps may or may not use either method?? So for your future sanity 🤪, while the size of your collection is manageable, please do what @d6jg said and use the leading zeros in your filenames. 👍

That wouldn't fix Windows Media Sharing as - from memory - it sorts by track title. Other broken servers seem to order by track number disregarding discnumber.

If the server is at fault, get a better one.
Agreed. Does anyone actually use Windows Media Sharing?
For multi disc sets my file naming schema is discno-trackno-trackname.mp3/flac so 1-01-tracktitle.mp3/flac etc which deals with anything that sorts by filename but if the server insists on sorting by trackname or ignores disc number then as you say get a better one.

Agreed. Does anyone actually use Windows Media Sharing?
I didn't think so, but the number of times it's appeared on this forum has astonished me. I have to assume simply because it's built into Windows.

I'm wondering whether they're browsing by folder; I always overlook that edge case.

EDIT: I just tested Serviio and in folder view it does sort 1, 10, 11 (it simply displays file name), so maybe even on a "decent" server the 0 prefixed naming convention does still have a use.
I do it but solely so it's aligned if I ever browse the filesystem.

Last edited:
Back