Wiim Pro volume handling (via Apple TV remote; Echo Show/ Nest Hub as volume screen)

Palmer

Dear all,

After all the good comments I am considering the Wiim PRO as part of a new living room setup:
Apple TV 4K (3. Generation) -> HDMI -> TV (no CEC) -> SPDIF Toslink -> Wiim Pro -> SPDIF coax -> stereo active speaker

Thus, I have the following questions:
# Volume control: The Apple TV offers an IR learning function which could be used to volume control a preamp, but it seems that the Wiim has no IR sensor? So, is there a way to use the Apple remote to control the Wiim volume?
# Volume indicator: Is it possible to add an Echo Show 5 or Google Nest Hub as screen to just indicate the volume?

Best regards

Volume control - I don't think so.
Volume indicator - for example if someone write a service which would subscribe to WiiM UPnP events and cast to the screen over chromecast. Nothing out of the box.

Can you control your stereo speakers with the Apple Remote? The WiiM devices have their own Bluetooth remote, might that be an alternative? Can you set your tv‘s optical out to be variable volume controlled by the tv remote or Apple Remote?

For volume control you can use AirPlay. Volume control on WiiM should be enabled. Like:
Apple TV—(AirPlay)—> WiiM —(SPDIF)—> speakers

An another solution would be adding a DAC/preamp w. IR remote control into the chain
(assuming your speakers have analog inputs).
For example Topping E30 II Lite has IR remote and also has a volume indicator.

Both solutions aren’t ideal. AirPlay will work only for the Apple TV and it will drop off occasionally. Decent DAC/Preamp aren’t cheap: Topping E30 II would cost you about 100 USD.

I bought another pre, as the WiiM Pro is a too big compromise. The new WiiM Amp has HDMI input, thus maybe a new version of the Pro will get HDMI too.

Back