WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
i think few would use it that way. wouldnt for most people a desk be a computer desk? where they already have the full streaming software availible on a 24-27" screen in front of you.
a volume knob could be useful in that situation though.
I use it exactly that way. Works exactly as I like it to.

IMG_1637.jpeg

Last edited:
Lots of assumptions here about how people use the WiiM without any of the marketing analytics in order to make informed. The screen has been confirmed by WiiM so i am sure the decision was an informed one. This device sounds like it is meant to go toe to toe with Eversolo and Fiio which are the heavyweights at the moment in the 700-1200 price range. I would love to see the product with a screen, hdmi, subwoofer out and a coax in.

I think you may have mistaken my point. As far as I’m concerned De gustibus non est disputandum. I wasn’t criticising anyone for wanting a screen, I was just asking why some like to have one.

I think we're both curious as to why someone would want a screen on the Ultra. Admittedly, I took what you said and spun it a little so I could list off a few more reasons why I think it's largely an uninspired idea.

Every time I see someone touch the screen of an Eversolo to perform a task in a demonstration video, I imagine the vast majority of those devices sitting on stands somewhere across rooms from people entering those same commands through phones and tablets.

Have we confirmed that the screen earmarked for the Ultra is a touchscreen or could it simply be a visual display?

I think we're both curious as to why someone would want a screen on the Ultra. Admittedly, I took what you said and spun it a little so I could list off a few more reasons why I think it's largely an uninspired idea.

Every time I see someone touch the screen of an Eversolo to perform a task in a demonstration video, I imagine the vast majority of those devices sitting on stands somewhere across rooms from people entering those same commands through phones and tablets.
That’s an assumption. I would guess that the vast majority of them are on desktops, and that their users are listening through headphones or studio monitors. This ain’t the ‘70s.

The SMSL SU-1 USB DAC is a very capable little player for $80. I bought one to try out in one of my computer work areas. I use it as Roon end-point, as roon immediately recognizes USB DACs. Most of my DACs use ESS based chips, but I have 3 AKM based chips as well. The SU-1 uses a Ak4493S chip and is very nice to listen to. The SU-1's diminutive size make it work just about anywhere. The best $80 dollars you can spend on a DAC.

Sorry, not meant to diminish what this thread is all about. The WiiM Pro+ has a nice compliment of features for $220 as well. I have no financial interest in SMSL.
I ordered an SU-1 last week (£50 local equivalent), to use with my Pro. I just want to try a standalone model with an AKM chip to see how it compares with the internal DAC of my Audiolab 6000a. Reviews always praise this very cheap DAC.

That’s an assumption. I would guess that the vast majority of them are on desktops, and that their users are listening through headphones or studio monitors. This ain’t the ‘70s.
Surely this too is an assumption?

Ok. Ok. Keep the screen. It'll have VU meters. They'll be amusing for a few minutes.

I'm more disappointed by the internal power supply. They could have gone wall wart and left some room for the linear ps crowd to roll their own. I blame the phono stage. Talk about a 70's idea.

Just funny that you said the previous comment was an assumption then went on to make one yourself. No worries 😉
That's the point. Without hard evidence to back up assumptions, they aren't worth much.

I ordered an SU-1 last week (£50 local equivalent), to use with my Pro. I just want to try a standalone model with an AKM chip to see how it compares with the internal DAC of my Audiolab 6000a. Reviews always praise this very cheap DAC.

That DAC is transparent.

Astonishing for the price:

That DAC is transparent.

Astonishing for the price:

Thanks. Was actually hoping that with the AKM chip it might sound a touch richer than my Audiolab 6000a’s internal DAC. We’ll see!

I think (actually I know) that both use cases exist.
I'm at my PC as I type and here I have a full HiFi with a WiiM Mini and a touchscreen display (O2 Joggler) BUT I actually control it mostly via the PC. The touchscreen does enable me to control the player instantly to answer a call etc but I rarely do that. It is much more a Now Playing display than a control point and a great digital clock when no music is being played.
In my Living Room I also have a touchscreen device (O2 Joggler) but that one is 99.9% a Now Playing display and I control from my iPhone as a rule.

On the SMSL SU-1 that is some DAC for the price - I can't find it at £50 though - it is similar to my Khadas Tone Board in spec terms. It would be great with a WiiM - if I'm not mistaken the 32/768 is only available over USB although its a moot point as I have yet to see any commercial music in that format and my ears definitely wouldn't detect it.

I think (actually I know) that both use cases exist.
I'm at my PC as I type and here I have a full HiFi with a WiiM Mini and a touchscreen display (O2 Joggler) BUT I actually control it mostly via the PC. The touchscreen does enable me to control the player instantly to answer a call etc but I rarely do that. It is much more a Now Playing display than a control point and a great digital clock when no music is being played.
In my Living Room I also have a touchscreen device (O2 Joggler) but that one is 99.9% a Now Playing display and I control from my iPhone as a rule.

On the SMSL SU-1 that is some DAC for the price - I can't find it at £50 though - it is similar to my Khadas Tone Board in spec terms. It would be great with a WiiM - if I'm not mistaken the 32/768 is only available over USB although its a moot point as I have yet to see any commercial music in that format and my ears definitely wouldn't detect it.
I ordered an SMSL SU-1 last week here in Thailand, from an online shopping platform called Shopee. But it’s being sent from China. At today’s exchange rate it actually equates to £52 with shipping. I thought it was a decent deal and worth a gamble.

Have we confirmed that the screen earmarked for the Ultra is a touchscreen or could it simply be a visual display?
I believe it was Steve Woodhouse that confirmed it's a rebranded phone app screen. I'm assuming that implies complete control like the phone. If it does, that's a massive UI upgrade. Not everyone, has their phone by their side 24/7! Let's start re-thinking the usability (screen) component.

I believe it was Steve Woodhouse that confirmed it's a rebranded phone app screen. I'm assuming that implies complete control like the phone. If it does, that's a massive UI upgrade. Not everyone, has their phone by their side 24/7! Let's start re-thinking the usability (screen) component.

For clarity, I’ve never confirmed anything, nor am I in a position to.

Pure presumption on my part, given other models.

Back