WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
Same DAC as Pro Plus I wonder?
They could probably bring this in for less than $300
They haven’t said anything what dac chip if it’s ess or akm. I have both ess and akm and each has its own sonic sound signature. Ess has a lot of detail on top end while akm has smooth high but strong bass and mid bass.

I’ve said this before about the screen, perhaps someone can enlighten me.

The display will be a re-purposed smartphone screen. Users already control their WiiM from their phone.

The screen on the streamer will be fixed rather than moveable, and won’t be easily viewed unless you’re close, whilst you’ll always be close to your phone.

So what exactly is the point of including a screen, at significant extra cost, when you already own one which is better/more useable?

Who am I to say if a person who just activated an Ultra with a phone or tablet having its own perfectly fine, touchscreen display shouldn't insist the streamer have an attached display of its very own? Or perhaps two? Just because I think an embedded screen provides less utility than a portable one, makes the device cost more for some puzzling utlilty, and introduces a thing that if it failed in a minor, row of dead pixels way would transform a source of beaming pride into a lowly eyesore, it doesn't make me right. No sir.

In my mind, an HDMI out would be better - permitting a spare monitor or TV to truly showcase VU meter excess.

Wiim ultra has the same concept as amp without the amp including sub out. This will allow me to use ultra as streamer/pre amp to connect my mono block amp that are rated 450W each.

Wiim ultra has the same concept as amp without the amp including sub out. This will allow me to use ultra as streamer/pre amp to connect my mono block amp that are rated 450W each.
That's not much... :unsure:
do you only listen to spinet, recorder etc?

That's not much... :unsure:
do you only listen to spinet, recorder etc?
What is not much the 450W? Unless your ear clog with heavy wax of course that won’t be much even sonic jet engine next to your ear won’t be any louder.

What is not much the 450W? Unless your ear clog with heavy wax of course that won’t be much even sonic jet engine next to your ear won’t be any louder.
it was a joke...
that seems like a lot to me......
is it more like a sound system for a large space?
in pro in this type of gear...you really have to look at the side of this boarding DSP, because often very successful solutions...
and it quite easily reaches much more considerable powers...
no longer the spinet but at least the piano (alone)!!!
;-)

It's always great to be able to, at a glance, without having to constantly pick up and log into a phone, see which song is currently playing.
Totally agree. I have quite a few repurposed tablets scattered around to just be a display for ‘what’s playing?’ with simple controls to pause/play/skip. At my desk I use an 8” Fire tablet in wireless charging dock that fits under my computer monitor which works perfectly for Roon and Sonos (just need WiiM to get their app working right for Android in landscape without having to do a head-tilt - currently iOS gets all the love).

Totally agree. I have quite a few repurposed tablets scattered around to just be a display for ‘what’s playing?’ with simple controls to pause/play/skip. At my desk I use an 8” Fire tablet in wireless charging dock that fits under my computer monitor which works perfectly for Roon and Sonos (just need WiiM to get their app working right for Android in landscape without having to do a head-tilt - currently iOS gets all the love).
Yes indeed. Roon, easily makes use of older tablets for control. Currently, I'm using an old Samsung tablet for streaming SlingTV to a gorgeous 8" OLED screen. I also use a Surface Pro, Fire 11, and iPad for roon duties throughout the house. Here's my shop # 1 rig.
PXL_20240121_005336953.jpg

When I really want to listen, I turn on the big gun - the 7" custom ES9038Q2M Dual Mono reference DAC/streamer. Complete with 4 x PSUs, Ultra Caps, LifePO4 batteries, 1 x RPi, and lots more. Sounds divine.
PXL_20240121_010755708_cropped.jpg

Here's the newest addition to shop #2, the WiiM Pro+ and Fosi Audio V3. They play beautiful music together too!
PXL_20240121_012507169cropped.jpg

Who am I to say if a person who just activated an Ultra with a phone or tablet having its own perfectly fine, touchscreen display shouldn't insist the streamer have an attached display of its very own? Or perhaps two? Just because I think an embedded screen provides less utility than a portable one, makes the device cost more for some puzzling utlilty, and introduces a thing that if it failed in a minor, row of dead pixels way would transform a source of beaming pride into a lowly eyesore, it doesn't make me right. No sir.

In my mind, an HDMI out would be better - permitting a spare monitor or TV to truly showcase VU meter excess.

I think you may have mistaken my point. As far as I’m concerned De gustibus non est disputandum. I wasn’t criticising anyone for wanting a screen, I was just asking why some like to have one.

Pretty simple. Many of us usually or always listen while at our desks, either via headphones or studio monitors. It provides the best sound, without all the room interactions. It's always great to be able to, at a glance, without having to constantly pick up and log into a phone, see which song is currently playing. I wouldn't have it any other way, and have built many displays for the WiiM and LMS.

Wouldn’t some sort of cradle for your phone serve the same purpose?

They haven’t said anything what dac chip if it’s ess or akm. I have both ess and akm and each has its own sonic sound signature. Ess has a lot of detail on top end while akm has smooth high but strong bass and mid bass.

It all depends how it’s implemented, but both those chips have been used in DACs where frequency response is ruler flat.

Wouldn’t some sort of cradle for your phone serve the same purpose?
Not really. The phone's screen is too small, and only works in portrait. A 7" or 8" display in landscape works much better. Also, the display turns on automatically when the music starts, and displays date and time when nothing is playing - you never have to mess with it.

Pretty simple. Many of us usually or always listen while at our desks, either via headphones or studio monitors. It provides the best sound, without all the room interactions. It's always great to be able to, at a glance, without having to constantly pick up and log into a phone, see which song is currently playing. I wouldn't have it any other way, and have built many displays for the WiiM and LMS.
i think few would use it that way. wouldnt for most people a desk be a computer desk? where they already have the full streaming software availible on a 24-27" screen in front of you.
a volume knob could be useful in that situation though.

Back