What will the ‘other’ new WiiM be this May?

Steve Woodhouse

Major Contributor
Okay, this has been discussed in bits scattered across various threads. I thought it would be nice to have its own thread.

WiiM are officially announcing the WiiM Ultra in Munich this May, but have said they’re also going to be announcing another product at the same time. And we pretty much haven’t got a clue what it might be.

Guesses and wants lists? Post ‘em here.

I have no idea, but I can throw in a guess as well as the next man, so here goes.

So my first thinking is that this is strange. Why pre-pre-pre-announce the Ultra so far in advance, letting out information in bits, but then have another product with zilch. And does that in itself point towards anything?

So having thought about it, I think maybe one of two things. Firstly, something completely different and out of the blue. I suppose they gave so much advanced notice of the Ultra due to ‘what next’ speculation after the Amp. So maybe this won’t be another development in WiiM streaming, or at least something very different in that category. Smart speaker? AV Amp/processor? How about a WiiM Box? I’m thinking something that does all the non-streaming things the WiiM streamers do, to plug in inbetween your source and amp. We know lots of people like the idea of PEQ, etc., and would like to add it cheaply to an existing set up.

Or, my other thought is, maybe a sister version of an existing (or announced) product. Same thing, but slightly different.

WiiM Pro Plus with a sub out. Or a WiiM Ultra Pure - like the Ultra, but no screen, balanced outputs, ‘pure direct’ mode where the analogue ins by-pass the digital circuitry.

That’s make sense, as probably the two most common comments in the Ultra thread have been “I don’t want a screen!” and “I want XLRs!”

I could imagine WiiM reading the response and seeing these comments and thinking either that it’s too late to change the Ultra, so let’s make a second version, and give people the choice. I suspect that, once all the R&D had been done on the Ultra, changing the outputs to XLRs (or adding a pair) and simply not using a screen, would be a relatively small step.

I also think it’d be a lovely nod to the WiiM community. It just says “We’ve listened”, which is clearly a look they’re keep to project.

Final guess. Matching amp for the Ultra. But I’d have thought they’d have announced that at the same time as the Ultra.

Anyone else want a guess?

Last edited:
Okay, this has been discussed in bits scattered across various threads. I thought it would be nice to have its own thread.

WiiM are officially announcing the WiiM Ultra in Munich this May, but have said they’re also going to be announcing another product at the same time. And we pretty much haven’t got a clue what it might be.

Guesses and wants lists? Post ‘em here.

I have no idea, but I can throw in a guess as well as the next man, so here goes.

So my first thinking is that this is strange. Why pre-pre-pre-announce the Ultra so far in advance, letting out information in bits, but then have another product with zilch. And does that in itself point towards anything?

So having thought about it, I think maybe one of two things. Firstly, something completely different and out of the blue. I suppose they gave so much advanced notice of the Ultra due to ‘what next’ speculation after the Amp. So maybe this won’t be another development in WiiM streaming, or at least something very different in that category. Smart speaker? AV Amp/processor? How about a WiiM Box? I’m thinking something that does all the non-streaming things the WiiM streamers do, to plug in inbetween your source and amp. We know lots of people like the idea of PEQ, etc., and would like to add it cheaply to an existing set up.

Or, my other thought is, maybe a sister version of an existing (or announced) product. Same thing, but slightly different.

WiiM Pro Plus with a sub out. Or a WiiM Ultra Pure - like the Ultra, but no screen, balanced outputs, ‘pure direct’ mode where the analogue ins by-pass the digital circuitry.

That’s make sense, as probably the two most common comments in the Ultra thread have been “I don’t want a screen!” and “I want XLRs!”

I could imagine WiiM reading the response and seeing these comments and thinking either that it’s too late to change the Ultra, so let’s make a second version, and give people the choice. I suspect that, once all the R&D had been done on the Ultra, changing the outputs to XLRs (or adding a pair) and simply not using a screen, would be a restively small step.

I also think it’d be a lovely nod to the WiiM community. It just says “We’ve listened”, which is clearly a look they’re keep to project.

Final guess. Matching amp for the Ultra. But I’d have thought they’d have announced that at the same time as the Ultra.

Anyone else want a guess?
A power amp to match the Ultra seems a very sensible option or maybe matching active speakers (I think this has been mentioned before).

A power amp to match the Ultra seems a very sensible option or maybe matching active speakers (I think this has been mentioned before).

I could see that. I suppose the issue might be that speakers (smart, active, passive) are a whole different game.

But who knows. It’d be an interesting combo.

This is a bit unrealistic, but...
WiiM Sub
WiiM Remote pro

I might laugh when Wake Up Light Ultra comes. 🤗
I was going to say a Wiim Sub, but was meaning a small WiFi module+DAC which connects to your sub and we can link to any of the current line up and use the bass management/PEQ/RC etc.

I refer the honourable member to the first paragraph in post 1.

We'll just end up with the same things regurgitated, so:

WiiM 110W Amp is my bet

We'll just end up with the same things regurgitated, so:

WiiM 110W Amp is my bet

Yeah, matching the Ultra. I can certainly see that, but I’d be puzzled as to why they announced the Ultra over so many stages, but the amp not at all.

I was going to say a Wiim Sub, but was meaning a small WiFi module+DAC which connects to your sub and we can link to any of the current line up and use the bass management/PEQ/RC etc.
It's very interesting.
The WiiM Sub I think of is a wireless subwoofer. However, I don't think it will be announced along with Ultra. If it comes, will be next year. 🙂

Yeah, matching the Ultra. I can certainly see that, but I’d be puzzled as to why they announced the Ultra over so many stages, but the amp not at all.
Because it was originally mooted just for the CI market and not general release, but I think it makes sense after some of the comments about the current Amp in certain quarters that they have perhaps revised that. Plus they've had time to consider PFFB which you'll recall WiiM mentioned over on ASR as looking in to, so I'd maybe put a side wager on that too :)

A wiim power amp would make sense, if the ultra supports it. As those would launch at the same time.

A wiim amp with more power (and a screen on that as well?) would make sense if it's a significant upgrade over the current one. Only increasing power doesn't sound that great.

Second generations of their previous products could be a thing, though I'm not sure what they'd actually change.

Powered speakers I feel wouldn't be competitive.
There's already so many on the market, so they'd possibly only be popular amongst a few people that already owns wiim products.

A smaller micro, without any DAC and only a single output (optical?) could be a thing.

As well as a different version of the wiim ultra, with XLR outputs and lacking the screen.

A headphone amp for desktop use perhaps?

I would like to see a 110w (or perhaps better) WiiM Amp Pro. Either that or a power amp that complements the Ultra. Or potentially an integrated pre and power amp that works in tandem with the ultra (perhaps with just 1 input to allow it to talk to the ultra).

In short, something that works with the ultra to provide a full hi-fi solution from WiiM.

A headphone amp for desktop use perhaps?
This would also be really good, a lot of people don't live in properties that support the use of big speakers.

Because it was originally mooted just for the CI market and not general release, but I think it makes sense after some of the comments about the current Amp in certain quarters that they have perhaps revised that. Plus they've had time to consider PFFB which you'll recall WiiM mentioned over on ASR as looking in to, so I'd maybe put a side wager on that too :)

PFFB was at the forefront if my mind with this. I remember WiiM commenting that they tried to fix the WiiM Amp before release, and I think worked with the chip manufacturers, but couldn’t get it done in time.

If they’ve managed to get it fixed, obviously that’s excellent, and an Ultra and matching amp would be quite special.

But I still feel there are plenty of amps out there which chin’s do the job, so WiiM would just be adding one more to the list. Nothing wrong with that in itself, and I’d probably buy the pair. But there’s part of me that thinks it’d be so much nicer for them to offer something new that we can’t currently buy.

It’ll certainly be interesting to see what happens.

PFFB was at the forefront if my mind with this. I remember WiiM commenting that they tried to fix the WiiM Amp before release, and I think worked with the chip manufacturers, but couldn’t get it done in time.

If they’ve managed to get it fixed, obviously that’s excellent, and an Ultra and matching amp would be quite special.

But I still feel there are plenty of amps out there which chin’s do the job, so WiiM would just be adding one more to the list. Nothing wrong with that in itself, and I’d probably buy the pair. But there’s part of me that thinks it’d be so much nicer for them to offer something new that we can’t currently buy.

It’ll certainly be interesting to see what happens.
Forgive my ignorance but what does PFFB do in layman's terms?

Back