WiiM Ultra launch price

At what price would the WiiM Ultra be a compelling choice without sacrificing value?

• US $349, EUR 379, GBP 349

• US $399, EUR 429, GBP 399

• US $449, EUR 479, GBP 449

• Other - please specify price with currency in the comments

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking forward to the arrival of the WiiM Ultra, but the deciding factor for me to buy will be support for DSD playback (.dsf and .dff ...) including ISO image. I welcome USB that can be used via a USB hub as an ext. connection. HDD with music and at the same time USB audio output to ext. DAC. I have an ext. HDD a lot of Hi-Res music in a quality that is not available in this quality on streaming services and almost half of it is in DSD. So far I have to play this music through PC and Audirvana player, but I don't want to turn on PC just to listen. I really hope that the developers directed their efforts in this direction as well...!
Otherwise, I already have a Pro (transport to RME ADI2-DAC) and a Pro Plus on a NAD C320 amplifier at home, and I am extremely satisfied with both!

IMO, this pool makes any sense. WiiM marketing team haven’t provided any meaningful specs yet for the WiiM Ultra.

All I’ve seen so far it’s just a pretty render. There are similar looking devices anything from $150 to $3500.

I have so many questions:
What is the screen resolution? is it OLED? Will it finally support AptX/LDAC? What kind of phono MM or MM/MC? Etc…

IMO, this pool makes any sense. WiiM marketing team haven’t provided any meaningful specs yet for the WiiM Ultra.

All I’ve seen so far it’s just a pretty render. There are similar looking devices anything from $150 to $3500.

I have so many questions:
What is the screen resolution? is it OLED? Will it finally support AptX/LDAC? What kind of phono MM or MM/MC? Etc…
Don't know x4 ;)

Totally agree what you say about differences in DACs. Even the "poor" internal in my Pro was good enough. The internal in my new digital is not audible better (connected to the Pro) and so was it with the quite expensive RS2 connected with an amp some people would rank expensive.
With the digital side I'm done and the existing stuff reached the target. As long as the discussion stays in the "digital domain" its fine.
Nevertheless I like too surround me with nice toys I can afford. Do you think I should apologize for that?

Not in the least. Knock yourself out, as they say.

Enjoy!

IMO, this pool makes any sense.
Yes, in my book a pool makes always sense. ;)

There are similar looking devices anything from $150 to $3500.
What would be a similar looking device (a streaming DAC with confirmed features like phono in, PEQ, room correction and a DAC chip better than the WiiM Pro Plus)? I couldn't name a single one.

Interesting opinions, mostly from a consumer point of view. I'm a happy owner of a WiiM Amp for 2 months now and I firmly believe the price of the new Ultra should be no less than USD 450.

For this statement I consider not my particular wants and needs, but what should be the best path for the company and the brand construction itself. The buyer input is valuable but if we really want to contribute to a brand that is delivering amazing products at very competitive prices, we should think as a company, that also needs to protect its own existing portfolio.

Pricing a superior specd Ultra too close to the Amp will cannibalise the Amp and negatively affect the product marketing and development, as well as update support for the existing product line.

To generate proper value and also create the impression of it, you need to price accordingly, not on a bargain level that will hurt the brand or the rest of the product line.

You're welcome WiiM. :giggle:

Pricing a superior specd Ultra too close to the Amp will cannibalise the Amp
Though I agree with most of your statement, the ultra is a streamer with a built in DAC, it does not include an amplifier.
Therefore I do not see how it would cannibalize the amp in any way, unless some people bought the amp just for the HDMI input and Sub output.

Interesting opinions, mostly from a consumer point of view. I'm a happy owner of a WiiM Amp for 2 months now and I firmly believe the price of the new Ultra should be no less than USD 450.

For this statement I consider not my particular wants and needs, but what should be the best path for the company and the brand construction itself. The buyer input is valuable but if we really want to contribute to a brand that is delivering amazing products at very competitive prices, we should think as a company, that also needs to protect its own existing portfolio.

Pricing a superior specd Ultra too close to the Amp will cannibalise the Amp and negatively affect the product marketing and development, as well as update support for the existing product line.

To generate proper value and also create the impression of it, you need to price accordingly, not on a bargain level that will hurt the brand or the rest of the product line.

You're welcome WiiM. :giggle:
don't you want to know first:
the quality of the dac-audio card?
of the adc?
phono input?
headphone output?
of the processing mode of peq rc etc?
the final functions of usb mode?
etc., etc...
of screen?
?
:unsure:
astonishing...

Last edited:
Though I agree with most of your statement, the ultra is a streamer with a built in DAC, it does not include an amplifier.
Therefore I do not see how it would cannibalize the amp in any way, unless some people bought the amp just for the HDMI input and Sub output.
Hmm then I must have been misguided from the render published in the WiiM Ultra thread which pretty much looks like an Ultra Amp, but since I didn't read any comments mentioning the power output, probably makes sense. (y)

don't you want to know first:
the quality of the dac?
of the adc?
phono input?
headphone output?
of the processing mode of peq rc etc?
the final functions of usb mode?
etc., etc...
of screen?
?
:unsure:
astonishing...
Of course! All that sounds very exciting and I can't wait to recommend it to some audiophile friends.

My input was more from a company point of view. Beyond the specs which are primordial, the pricing makes a stronger statement, in terms of competition. If you want go after the big guys in the market, you need to be bold and fearless.

Depends completely on the features. I don't care about the DAC at all as I'm going via digital coax directly into my Hypex PlateAmp speakers.

If the Ultra would support uploading of convolution FIR filters I would happily pay the 449€ just for that.

I'm looking forward to the arrival of the WiiM Ultra, but the deciding factor for me to buy will be support for DSD playback (.dsf and .dff ...) including ISO image. I welcome USB that can be used via a USB hub as an ext. connection. HDD with music and at the same time USB audio output to ext. DAC. I have an ext. HDD a lot of Hi-Res music in a quality that is not available in this quality on streaming services and almost half of it is in DSD. So far I have to play this music through PC and Audirvana player, but I don't want to turn on PC just to listen. I really hope that the developers directed their efforts in this direction as well...!
Otherwise, I already have a Pro (transport to RME ADI2-DAC) and a Pro Plus on a NAD C320 amplifier at home, and I am extremely satisfied with both!
So, you desire that LinkPlay invest time and money to include NAS/DAS and DLNA/UPnP Server functionality simply to avoid the need for you to place an existing PC (or RPI) into the mix?? That they undertake the development and/or licensing of multiple Operating System components and commit to integrating / supporting / debugging / updating those additional (non- Audio-related) layers; AND add to their hardware bill to supply the increased CPU / Memory / Interface hardware requirements including knock-on debugging and support?? This is a lot more than a "bump in specs", even though WiiM did select the "Ultra" moniker.
At least you didn't indicate that you selected the lowest Price tiers in the OP poll...

So, you desire that LinkPlay invest time and money to include NAS/DAS and DLNA/UPnP Server functionality simply to avoid the need for you to place an existing PC (or RPI) into the mix?? That they undertake the development and/or licensing of multiple Operating System components and commit to integrating / supporting / debugging / updating those additional (non- Audio-related) layers; AND add to their hardware bill to supply the increased CPU / Memory / Interface hardware requirements including knock-on debugging and support?? This is a lot more than a "bump in specs", even though WiiM did select the "Ultra" moniker.
At least you didn't indicate that you selected the lowest Price tiers in the OP poll...
DSD and ISO support aside, the WiiM Amp and upcoming Ultra already support most of not all of what is asked for, so I don’t understand your negativity. We’re all free to make feature requests that WiiM will take on board or ignore as they see fit.

One thing I would want to know besides what has been mentioned (maybe it goes without saying) is whether I can put the image from the built in screen on to my tv screen using the hdmi. I have a full home theater so no need to run sound from tv to this.

One thing I would want to know besides what has been mentioned (maybe it goes without saying) is whether I can put the image from the built in screen on to my tv screen using the hdmi. I have a full home theater so no need to run sound from tv to this.
No, the hdmi socket is ARC (audio return channel) I.e, audio is returned from the TV to the Ultra. It doesn’t send video from the Ultra to the TV.

No, the hdmi socket is ARC (audio return channel) I.e, audio is returned from the TV to the Ultra. It doesn’t send video from the Ultra to the TV.
Thanks and that’s disappointing since I like to have the now playing etc on the screen when using it as background music when people are over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back