The "PERFECT WiiM Product"

Thanks. As mentioned previously, there was a long thread on the WiiM Ultra that was closed to further comments, in part to put an end to the endless and repetitive speculation around what it will or won’t be. Given that its design is probably complete and units already being produced for pre release testing, I don’t see any point in re-opening that discussion - we’ll find out in a month or so what the Ultra will offer.

Faster than that, surely. WiiM have just said they’re doing beta testing in late April/early May, so 2-3 weeks. I suspect they’d want to post spec before asking for beta testers, as the potential testers need to know what they’re signing up for.

It’s no good if you sign up and when it arrives it’s a toaster. :ROFLMAO:

I think given that there are products out there for $700 that don't offer any of the software bonuses, or the form factor WiiM has, there's a space in the market for a $600 - $700 "Amp Pro" or "Amp Plus" with these changes.
Without a doubt! completely agree.
But if there are no possibilities, a preamplifier would be very welcome, and we as consumers would make the choice of the power stage.
Obviously it would no longer be the all-in-one that it is today, but it would be a more versatile, flexible product and would make our system more immune to the passage of time and its consequent obsolescence.

Without a doubt! completely agree.
But if there are no possibilities, a preamplifier would be very welcome, and we as consumers would make the choice of the power stage.
Obviously it would no longer be the all-in-one that it is today, but it would be a more versatile, flexible product and would make our system more immune to the passage of time and its consequent obsolescence.
Plenty of people use the Wiim Pro Plus directly with a power amplifier, as it has 3 inputs (including 1 analog) the pre already exists as a product :)

Faster than that, surely. WiiM have just said they’re doing beta testing in late April/early May, so 2-3 weeks. I suspect they’d want to post spec before asking for beta testers, as the potential testers need to know what they’re signing up for.

Not necessarily. As I’ve said before, I got a Pro Plus unit to test and WiiM wouldn’t say which DAC it had till I had tested it out for a few weeks. And with the Amp, I jumped the gun mentioning my experience with it before WiiM might have preferred. So the Ultra beta testers might not themselves know or be able to talk about it until WiiM are ready to reveal it in case it clouds their judgement. A blind beta test of sorts ;)

Jajaja!! correct! I don't think this is the case. Linkplay products so far have never disappointed (at least in my case). But we will have to wait and lower the hype until it is formally announced. For my part, I propose myself again as a beta tester. If I'm right and the Wiim Ultra is a preamplifier (or similar) device, I have some NAD class D powers waiting, other vintage Sansui, Marantz and Holimar ones to see what results I get!

Plenty of people use the Wiim Pro Plus directly with a power amplifier, as it has 3 inputs (including 1 analog) the pre already exists as a product :)
That's correct, but none of the previous streamers had the bass management capabilities that the Amp does offer. Keeping this in mind is very important. There are many people, as is my case, who, for aesthetic or space reasons, prefer to have a system made up of two small bookshelfs and a subwoofer hidden in some corner of the room. For minimalist configurations like these, it is essential to have a high-pass filter for the pre-outputs (or the speaker binding post, in case it is an amplifier).
The difference in the ease of implementation and flexibility that this feature offers is tremendous.

Yes…and no. 😉

All WiiM streamers up to the Amp had a recommendation to set Fixed Volume Limit to On and 100% to maintain bit perfect output.

If you did this with the Amp, you’d have to have it on at full volume 100% of the time.

There appears to be a volume stage in the Amp not present in the other streamers. It looks like your Pro Plus and the other streamers just change the level of the music digitally as part of the DAC, rather than attenuating the output post-DAC.

I’d expect a WiiM Pre to have this post-DAC volume functionality separate to the digital level.

Or something.

I’m happy to be corrected.

That's correct, but none of the previous streamers had the bass management capabilities that the Amp does offer. Keeping this in mind is very important. There are many people, as is my case, who, for aesthetic or space reasons, prefer to have a system made up of two small bookshelfs and a subwoofer hidden in some corner of the room. For minimalist configurations like these, it is essential to have a high-pass filter for the pre-outputs (or the speaker binding post, in case it is an amplifier).
The difference in the ease of implementation and flexibility that this feature offers is tremendous.

Absolutely spot on.

Desktop hi-fi is fast becoming ‘a thing’, and almost always requires a sub for decent sound.

Yes…and no. 😉

All WiiM streamers up to the Amp had a recommendation to set Fixed Volume Limit to On and 100% to maintain bit perfect output.

If you did this with the Amp, you’d have to have it on at full volume 100% of the time.

There appears to be a volume stage in the Amp not present in the other streamers. It looks like your Pro Plus and the other streamers just change the level of the music digitally as part of the DAC, rather than attenuating the output post-DAC.

I’d expect a WiiM Pre to have this post-DAC volume functionality separate to the digital level.

Or something.

I’m happy to be corrected.
You read my mind! I was about to write about the function of the attenuator. A streamer with the ability to modify the volume is not the same as a preamplifier with an attenuator completely dedicated to this task.

Absolutely spot on.

Desktop hi-fi is fast becoming ‘a thing’, and almost always requires a sub for decent sound.
It is something completely logical.
Nowadays many people do not have the time necessary to enjoy their hobbies and have to combine work with pleasure. In my case, if it weren't for this type of setup, I wouldn't even have time to listen to music all day. Or at least listen to it in decent quality.

Not necessarily. As I’ve said before, I got a Pro Plus unit to test and WiiM wouldn’t say which DAC it had till I had tested it out for a few weeks. And with the Amp, I jumped the gun mentioning my experience with it before WiiM might have preferred. So the Ultra beta testers might not themselves know or be able to talk about it until WiiM are ready to reveal it in case it clouds their judgement. A blind beta test of sorts ;)

Thanks, I wasn’t aware.

But at the point where they asked for beta testers, whilst they might not have said what DAC was in it, did they have pics, and more general specs (what inputs and outputs were present)? I suppose it’s a bit different because the Pro Plus was identical to the Pro, but better.

It is something completely logical.
Nowadays many people do not have the time necessary to enjoy their hobbies and have to combine work with pleasure. In my case, if it weren't for this type of setup, I wouldn't even have time to listen to music all day. Or at least listen to it in decent quality.

For me, whilst I have a room where I could technically have a more traditional hi-fi (and indeed have had in the past), it just doesn’t have the WAF today.

In addition, further field listening would have many compromises to the sound due to room acoustics, etc.

With nearfield listening, the sound is less compromised, the room is less important, and the possibility of limited room treatments is introduced. The necessary kit is potentially cheaper (though in my case, frankly, not a lot).

And I actually prefer listening sat up in a nice office, gaming-type chair to on a sofa.

And the desk is more handy for my beer and nuts.

We need a wiim amp pro. Which would contain the dac from the pro plus and an upgraded amp stage. Sell it for $600-700 and really scare the mainstream!
I think that a $700. price tag would definitely scare the mainstream consumers that have already been spoiled by the WiiM's incredible current value. Personally I wouldn't have bought a WiiM if it were that expensive.

I think that a $700. price tag would definitely scare the mainstream consumers that have already been spoiled by the WiiM's incredible current value. Personally I wouldn't have bought a WiiM if it were that expensive.
Doesn’t stop those people buying the non pro for $299 and being happy :)

Sonos, lg, samsung, sony etc... are mainstream and I see a lot of people buying soundbars etc for these prices... Wiim has taken the affordable but at the same time hi fi direction...

A $700 wiim amp pro with a nice pair of speakers would destroy a sound bar, and have the benefit of WiiM's software.

A $700 wiim amp pro with a nice pair of speakers would destroy a sound bar, and have the benefit of WiiM's software.

Yes that is the point of WiiM . Bring people to hi fi by making sensible and quality designs at affordable prices… But hi fi is first and price second ( Wiim amp fell into the trap of price only …)

Last edited:
Yes that is the point of WiiM . Bring people to hi fi by making sensible and quality designs at affordable prices… But hi fi is first and price second ( Wiim amp fell into the trap of price only …)
There is no trap, however the current WiiM Amp should be seen as the base unit, with more stronger units coming at higher price.

This doesn't make it bad, I love mine

Back