What will the ‘other’ new WiiM be this May?

Hi Joffy1780, Team

If we update the existing WiiM Pro or WiiM Mini with customized software, would this meet your specifications for the WiiM Sub? Additionally, do you have any other concerns regarding the customized WiiM Mini or Pro compared to the proposed WiiM Sub?
In addition to the "Persistent group for multiple devices" that is already on the roadmap, WHA would be nice to have the ability to register several MRM links as presets. 🤗

Hi Joffy1780, Team

If we update the existing WiiM Pro or WiiM Mini with customized software, would this meet your specifications for the WiiM Sub? Additionally, do you have any other concerns regarding the customized WiiM Mini or Pro compared to the proposed WiiM Sub?
If you were to do this, would affect my current pro plus, which I don't want to have anything to do with subwoofers, as I'm happy with it as a streamer for my rack?

If you were to do this, would affect my current pro plus, which I don't want to have anything to do with subwoofers, as I'm happy with it as a streamer for my rack?
I’d doubt it very much as I’m sure WiiM are aware a lot of us don’t have or want subs

Why would it affect your Pro Plus?

I’d doubt it very much as I’m sure WiiM are aware a lot of us don’t have or want subs
It's more if I ever wanted a sub, I will task it to my amp. The WiiM I use as a bit perfect source.

Making the rca outputs useable as sub outs via software would be a nice touch. If you use the digital out of the pro or pro plus you could use rca's for sub out. (at the cost of bit perfect...)

Making the rca outputs useable as sub outs via software would be a nice touch. If you use the digital out of the pro or pro plus you could use rca's for sub out. (at the cost of bit perfect...)
Isn't this already be possible, most powered subs will accept an RCA input and filter it themselves. The simple fix here is to let the WiiM output on all it's outputs at once, but a pure line signal.

There’s been talk of that from a while back but that would mean the WiiM device would need to be able to drive two outputs at the same time which they currently can’t

Isn't this already be possible, most powered subs will accept an RCA input and filter it themselves. The simple fix here is to let the WiiM output on all its outputs at once, but a pure line signal.
Simple to say but not necessarily simple to do

But tbh if the Ultra has an LFE out, this discussion is kind of irrelevant.

There’s been talk of that from a while back but that would mean the WiiM device would need to be able to drive two outputs at the same time which they currently can’t
Yes, and I think the team hinted in a previous post that it won't happen.

I’d guess they’d implement it like they currently do for a group where you can cycle thru L, R or LR for the devices in the group - add ‘sub’ there as an option and it would be quite an elegant solution imho
I was thinking more of linking it to one particular device (similar to the remote) so that they become one device. It sounds like it would be a separate product, as Wiim mentioned customised software, but it could also be optional to convert an existing Mini/Pro.
Either way, I think it would be fantastic for people looking for a budget 2.1 system such as a Pro, powered speakers and powered sub.

But tbh if the Ultra has an LFE out, this discussion is kind of irrelevant.
LFE is the low-frequency effects channel found in multi-channel programme material. It has little to nothing to do with proper bass management, as e.g the WiiM Amp does support right now.

I was thinking more of linking it to one particular device (similar to the remote) so that they become one device. It sounds like it would be a separate product, as Wiim mentioned customised software, but it could also be optional to convert an existing Mini/Pro.
Either way, I think it would be fantastic for people looking for a budget 2.1 system such as a Pro, powered speakers and powered sub.
One potential downside with the group approach I suggested would be that playback would be constrained to 24/48 on all devices as that’s all a Linkplay group currently supports,

At this point I'm starting to get a bit worried about wiim.
I can imagine the ultra being their main focus, and the secondary product being something much less.
Imagine working at wiim, being exited about your new products, and then seeing this forum with people guessing about new amplifier.

Considering some people's reactions to the ultra, it's connections, the screen, and it's guesstimate price, I could see a lot of negative reactions if the secondary product isn't what they themselves wanted.

For example, imagine if it's a new remote, with more buttons and a better mic for room correction.
While it's a great product that quite a few people would love, it's not exactly at the top of their wishlist.

At this point I'm starting to get a bit worried about wiim.
I can imagine the ultra being their main focus, and the secondary product being something much less.
Imagine working at wiim, being exited about your new products, and then seeing this forum with people guessing about new amplifier.

Considering some people's reactions to the ultra, it's connections, the screen, and it's guesstimate price, I could see a lot of negative reactions if the secondary product isn't what they themselves wanted.

For example, imagine if it's a new remote, with more buttons and a better mic for room correction.
While it's a great product that quite a few people would love, it's not exactly at the top of their wishlist.

I take your point, but I disagree.

WiiM are new to the game. They still have a relatively small number of products on their books, but with the possibility of a whole lot more to come.

Contained within their current products they already have the technology for a streamer, a DAC, an EQ/room correction system, and an amplifier, which can be released either as a standalone, individual product, or in conjunction with one or more of the others.

When they released the Mini, they'd only had to work on the streamer. *

When they released the Pro they'd only had to work on maxing out the stream's capabilities.*

When they released the Pro Plus they'd only had to work on the DAC.*

When they released the Amp, they'd only had to work on the amplification stage.*

* At each stage of the above they've gradually increased EQ capabilities, from GE to PEQ, from 4-band to 10-band, from stereo out to stereo + sub out, and adding room correction, and so on.

So by the release of the Ultra, they already have a great streamer, great DAC, great EQ (etc.), and a good-ish amp - the latter is the portion they've yet to perfect (I'm assuming room correction is finished by the time the Ultra goes on sale). And perfecting the amp/adding PFFB, they've got pretty much everything nailed.

They can then start launching variations on a theme, without too much work. Standalone amps. Pro Pluses with sub out. Ultra Max Amp (like the Ultra, but with a finished amp stage, better than the Amp's amp). Standalone EQ box. Ultra with balanced ins and outs.

Presuming they've been working on, and finished bringing PFFB to their amplification capabilities (apparently they just couldn't get it finished in time for the WiiM Amp's launch), there are a dozen new products they could release with fairly minimal R&D compared to what's gone before. Because they've got all of the above nailed already.

I don't think that the developers won't be reading the comments here and worrying. I think they'll be reading them and licking their lips!

One potential downside with the group approach I suggested would be that playback would be constrained to 24/48 on all devices as that’s all a Linkplay group currently supports,

If I'm playing something 192/24 on my Mini, and I set up a linkplay group, is it just the other items in the group which are limited to 24/48? Will my main (in this case the Mini) still play 192/24?

You see, if I'm playing 192/24 on my Mini, that's great. If I add a sub through linkplay, but the sub is only 24/48, that's 'no biggie' (as they say), as long as my Mini remains 192/24.

Any ideas? Cheers.

If I'm playing something 192/24 on my Mini, and I set up a linkplay group, is it just the other items in the group which are limited to 24/48? Will my main (in this case the Mini) still play 192/24?

You see, if I'm playing 192/24 on my Mini, that's great. If I add a sub through linkplay, but the sub is only 24/48, that's 'no biggie' (as they say), as long as my Mini remains 192/24.

Any ideas? Cheers.
From what I recall, all devices in the group play 24/48. Whether that changes, as there has been talk of hi res multi room, is another matter.

Back