WiiM Ultra

Updated on 4/19/2024

Hi Team,

We're excited to give you a sneak peek at the WiiM Ultra, your future go-to digital hub for all things music! We're putting the final touches on this innovative product and are on track for a Q2 release. Stay tuned for more updates as we gear up for launch!

1713556429155.png
1713556558651.png

Original message by Brantome:
As mentioned in a user reply from the WiiM/Linkplay CEO on the WiiM Fan Page on Facebook, WiiM are developing a new device called the WiiM Ultra which will have a screen, aluminium case and USB audio output. It should be available Q2 2024, so a good five to six months away.

Guess @Smartplug is due a prize (e.g. I'll lay off gently ribbing them about their constant 'when' questions) as I think they first suggested that name a while ago ;):ROFLMAO:

That's the entirety of the information I have, but WiiM do say they'll release more details in due course.

Last edited:
I ordered an SU-1 last week (£50 local equivalent), to use with my Pro. I just want to try a standalone model with an AKM chip to see how it compares with the internal DAC of my Audiolab 6000a. Reviews always praise this very cheap DAC.
Yes, you can't go wrong with the SU-1. It's very similar in size to the Tone Board 1 & 2 that Khadas introduced a few years back - for at the time - $199. They even had a DIY version that I bought (for $99) and used in two different streamers I built. I was already using the Khadas VIMx series of SBCs, so it was a no brainer. You can mate the two devices using the GPIO bus and have access to I2S data from your network, or a USB drive.

Shown below is a streamer I built using the VIM2 SBC, and the Tone Board 1(DIY version), enclosed in a modified simple little Khadas 'open-air' enclosure.

PXL_20240122_143023216.jpg

PXL_20240122_143033320.jpg

I believe it was Steve Woodhouse that confirmed it's a rebranded phone app screen. I'm assuming that implies complete control like the phone. If it does, that's a massive UI upgrade. Not everyone, has their phone by their side 24/7! Let's start re-thinking the usability (screen) component.
BIG assumptions there base on no evidence other than WiiM stating it will have a screen...

Yes, you can't go wrong with the SU-1. It's very similar in size to the Tone Board 1 & 2 that Khadas introduced a few years back - for at the time - $199. They even had a DIY version that I bought (for $99) and used in two different streamers I built. I was already using the Khadas VIMx series of SBCs, so it was a no brainer. You can mate the two devices using the GPIO bus and have access to I2S data from your network, or a USB drive.

Shown below is a streamer I built using the VIM2 SBC, and the Tone Board 1(DIY version), enclosed in a modified simple little Khadas 'open-air' enclosure.

View attachment 4722

View attachment 4723
What did you install on the VIM2 as a matter of interest?

My Tone Board is the generic version in an Audiophonics case which happens to be exactly the same width as a PiBox Pro 4. I have a nice little stack of 2 Pi's in that case plus the Tone Board on top in my Living Room. High WAF.

What did you install on the VIM2 as a matter of interest?

My Tone Board is the generic version in an Audiophonics case which happens to be exactly the same width as a PiBox Pro 4. I have a nice little stack of 2 Pi's in that case plus the Tone Board on top in my Living Room. High WAF.
I'm assuming you meant client software I'm using? Since I adopted roon several years ago, all of my end-points (remotes) are either using roon - as in the interface is either; roon-bridge, or Ropieee. There's a diet-pi thrown into the mix as well, but that still uses roon-bridge. I also have another SBC (Dell, Wyse 3040), sitting on my server shelf running the Roon Web Controller extension exclusively. I also built another little streamer exactly like the one pictured above, for a friend, but he wanted to use Volumio installed. Those are the 2 clients I'm most familiar with, but roon is my digital backbone, so that is used exclusively throughout the house. It's easy for me, because when we bought our current house 11 yrs ago, my son and I and wired most every room with an Ethernet jack, so I don't have to fiddle with wifi. I have enough of that with Alexa and Roku! :) Although a couple years later after I finished the basement, my son convince me to install a mesh network. We updated the Ubiquity system over Christmas to WiFi 6 since we have many tablets floating around the house on 3 different levels.

Last edited:
I meant what OS on the VIM2? Will it take Roopiee?
Any version of Linux that runs on Khadas - the VIM2. Ropieee only runs on RPis. Roon does offer a couple different methods for installing the roon-bridge on 'generic' Linux. I used their automated scripts that did everything IIFC, and set up everything you need. I think Ubuntu, v20-24 should work as your Linux distribution of choice. Check with Khadas as to the latest Linux distro for the VIM2. Follow the guide here from roon if you're interested.

Check out this link. I built this guy back in 2020. Gives you an idea what can be done with disparate hardware.

If you can't tell. I tinker with this stuff just about every day. :D

Last edited:
What are the capabilities of the Wiim Ultra sub output?

Hoping there’s some sort of bass control similar too Dirac live bass control. However, a complete room correction system would be nice. Expanding PEQ capabilities along with implementation of room correction will be perfect.

What are the capabilities of the Wiim Ultra sub output?

Hoping there’s some sort of bass control similar too Dirac live bass control. However, a complete room correction system would be nice. Expanding PEQ capabilities along with implementation of room correction will be perfect.
We don’t know yet other than it might well be an evolution of what the WiiM Amp has/will have.

I mean, by virtue of the position of the Ultra in the product line, you’d presume the sub out + controls would have to be at least that of the Amp, as well as having room correction at least as good as what’s coming up for the existing streamers.

My Wiim is hooked to my home stereo. I control it with my phone or tablet. I am sitting in sweet spot 11 feet away. A screen offers me nothing. HDMI out for a screen would suffice.

Or (and we have this already for iPads and iPhones) the ability to set the image on our screens to landscape and cast that to the TV - no cables required.

If the Ultra’s screen has something nice like VU meters, let’s see them visible on your phone screen, too. And castable (if that’s a word).

The wait for final specs has me thinking round and round in circles. But I am fixed that I want this to do everything necessary, at the highest standard.

This does not appear to be aiming at being an all-in-one; it’s not a WiiM Amp Pro Plus, there’s no amplification stage. Why? Well, you can buy a great amp anywhere, and maybe already have one. Personally, I’d apply the same logic to a headphone stage - have a headphone socket if you must, but people can buy their own headphone amp if they wish.

What I’d love this to do is to just be a great ‘front end’, You know, there’s this spate of people using AV Receivers as stereo amps due to the advantages of room correction, bass management, etc.? Only the internal DAC and amps are poor? Well, just replicate that, only leave out the amp, and give it a great DAC. Full compliment of ins and outs.

Everything else is gravy.

My Wiim is hooked to my home stereo. I control it with my phone or tablet. I am sitting in sweet spot 11 feet away. A screen offers me nothing. HDMI out for a screen would suffice.
Exactly, HDMI video output would be the only real cool thing compared to the plethora of expensive streamers that don't offer anything more

I hope there will be no display, then it would lose its charm. I bought the Wiim Pro Plus specifically, not the Eversolo, so as not to have an unnecessary display. The little black box is great

I hope there will be no display, then it would lose its charm. I bought the Wiim Pro Plus specifically, not the Eversolo, so as not to have an unnecessary display. The little black box is great

I think a display has already been announced, and is a foregone conclusion.

Back