YouTube Music can't see WiiM Pro using Chromecast

mikehd

I can cast Amazon Music to the Pro just fine, but YTM can't find the Pro.

I've read the suggested articles but found no resolution.

I just checked with YTM on my PC and it can cast just fine. I suspect the mobile app has an issue.

I am subscribed to YT Premium.

There've been news stories indicating Google is updating Chromecast-related software and firmware following the Sonos finding, and a couple of mornings ago I was seeing some weird behavior that appears to have been resolved 24 hours later. While I don't know if the two were related, I'm naturally skeptical about coincidences. You can try rebooting your devices to see if that helps, and then give it 24 hours if not.

I found the settings under "data saving" (not the path that Google's help page indicates), disabled video playback, YTM still cannot see the WiiM Pro.

I wonder if regular YT app can find it? I'll check.

Update: regular YT app cannot see the WiiM Pro either. Haven't rebooted phone yet.
Have you already tried re installing YTM?

I had the same problem with Spotify connect the other day and I was able to fix it by reinstalling.

At least, YTM in my country has been able to cast to WiiM Pro without any problems.

I've tried all the above suggestions with zero change in ability to see the WiiM Pro as a device on YTM mobile. I tried my wife's Pixel 4a (Android 13) and it too didn't see the WiiM Pro.

Also, on the Pixel, the YouTube app isn't fully un-installable as it is considered an Android system app. I did uninstall the updates, reinstalled them, and no devices seen.

At this point I'm questioning whether I've ever been able to see the Wiim Pro from my YTM mobile app. Definitely is seen on my Windows 10 browser. No matter, it is a Google issue and I'm just going to not use the mobile app. My limited use of YTM is to check out new (to me) music. If I like it I then typically purchase the CD.

Thanks everyone for your support.

I found the settings under "data saving" (not the path that Google's help page indicates), disabled video playback, YTM still cannot see the WiiM Pro.

I wonder if regular YT app can find it? I'll check.

Update: regular YT app cannot see the WiiM Pro either. Haven't rebooted phone yet.
Regular YouTube can't cast to audio-only devices (like the WiiM, Chromecast Audio, etc.).

In rereading this thread, it's unclear whether you tried chromecasting from any other audio apps. When you sent Amazon content to the WiiM, you may have been utilizing Alexacast.

So just to explore a little further, try using an app like TuneIn and casting from that to the WiiM. If the WiiM isn't visible, then it's something with your phone. It could be on the phone itself, or possibly the WiFi network you're on not communicating via the Chromecast protocol with the network your WiiM is on.

Worth a try.

Thanks @Balthazar B , I'm beginning to suspect my phone as well. I did check and it does look like Amazon music is using Alexacast (icon is different for the WiiM Pro, round vs square). I tried to connect to our Sony TV (uses google TV) and phone couldn't see it either. I had to use a pairing key technique.

Lost my ability to set 5G as my preferred network after the June update, and now it looks like Chromecasting is also disabled.

Somehow over the past few weeks I have had chromecast capability restored from my phone to the WiiM Pro. I have no idea what changed. I didn't make any network changes. Had the usual app and Google firmware updates.

I'm just happy to have this behind me.

You need to have chromecast enabled thru the WiiM home app.

Launch WiiM Home on your phone
Select device on the bottom row
On the device that you wish to cast to, select the gear icon for its settings
Scroll down to the Voice section
Select Chromecast audio
Enable it for your device

Launch YTM on your phone
Start your music
Select the chromecast icon then select your WiiM device
Enjoy

Back