12V trigger not working

paulzhere

Hi

I have a WiiM Pro that connects via Toslink out to my amp. I have also connected the 12V trigger out to my amp. However, the trigger doesn't seem to be functional. Whenever I play something via the app or via Chromecast, the amp does not turn on through the trigger (as I presume it should?). The same amp behaves perfectly and is triggered on using my Marantz pre/pro. So it is definitely not an issue with the trigger input of the amp. Do I need to change some setting in the WiiM app to enable its trigger functionality? Or it it possible that my unit is faulty? Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

P.S. I hope this question hasn't been asked before. I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer in any of the associated topics.

Yes, mine is driving a relay which it switches on and off successfully the first time, but then subsequently does not turn on again until disconnected and reconnected. I am certain there is a logic error with the trigger function.

[...] it switches on and off successfully the first time
You’ve actually seen it turn the relay off? I also see a successful turn-on the very first time my Pro and amp are power cycled, but I still have never seen a successful turn off. Did it happen as advertised, 2.5 minutes after the Pro went into standby?

You’ve actually seen it turn the relay off? I also see a successful turn-on the very first time my Pro and amp are power cycled, but I still have never seen a successful turn off. Did it happen as advertised, 2.5 minutes after the Pro went into standby?
Is your Pro working in the mode which lets it go into standby?

Is your Pro working in the mode which lets it go into standby?
The bright white light changes to a dim white after the time I’ve set in the app (currently 30s). So yes I think so? Other than the white indicator I don’t know how to tell anything more about the Pro’s state. The app seems to function the exact same way regardless of whether the device is in standby.

This is definitely a mistake in HW design by WIIM the problem is the load ( Input to amp) it is not real resistive it is also an inductive part and this could not be handeled by the logic.
Behaviour voltage vs current

In reply to your question, I've applied a voltmeter, and indeed the Trigger voltage does drop to zero when the unit goes to sleep, then returns to 12v when the device wakes. My problem is that this does not work when there is a device attached as opposed to a meter. I made a very boring video to demonstrate here:
For ease, I connected a lamp to the trigger, rather than my amp, but the trigger would perform the same regardless.

tl:dr: the trigger only works the first time it's connected, then needs to be physically disconnected and reconnected each time.

In reply to your question, I've applied a voltmeter, and indeed the Trigger voltage does drop to zero when the unit goes to sleep, then returns to 12v when the device wakes. My problem is that this does not work when there is a device attached as opposed to a meter. I made a very boring video to demonstrate here:
For ease, I connected a lamp to the trigger, rather than my amp, but the trigger would perform the same regardless.
Thanks for this! Looks to confirm @Uvi ’s statement exactly. Wiim surely understand exactly what’s going on here right? And they’re just not wanting to admit the problem publicly (or even in support threads) because it can’t be fixed in software?

To be honest I expect few enough of us use the trigger function, and we want it so badly, that if Wiim fixed this at some point in a new hardware revision they could avoid any bad press and suffer only minimal costs by just offering to swap out units for people who have reported the problem. This continues to be a near-perfect product for me if only this damn feature worked!

Wanted to surface this as it may be a fix for those of you experiencing issues here.

I needed a 12V triggered power supply in my living room as I have a "dumb" tube amplifier there with no frills- just an on/off switch and a volume pot.

This power supply triggers on and off effectively with my Wiim Pro. It has 2 plugs that turn on with the 12V signal as well as 1 always on and 1 that turns off with the 12V signal, so it can be leveraged in a variety of setups. You simply need a 2.5mm pigtail to connect as it uses a bare-wire terminal.

When music starts playing or the TV starts sending optical to the Wiim I can hear the relay click on and my tubes begin to glow. After a bit of silence, I can hear the relay click off and the tube amp shut down.

Hope this is helpful for some of you!

Last edited:
The annoying thing about the trigger is once you pause the music for 2 1/2 minutes the WiiM turns off the trigger which shuts down everything on the trigger chain, my pair of amps & ext Topping DAC

annoying as hell !

The annoying thing about the trigger is once you pause the music for 2 1/2 minutes the WiiM turns off the trigger which shuts down everything on the trigger chain, my pair of amps & ext Topping DAC

annoying as hell !
Hi just to inform you the new WiiM Pro + is working with the switch from Vocomo , with the WiiM Pro the Vocomo switch was not working.This is definitely a design bug .

Just chiming in to say that this is not necessarily fixed with an upgrade to the plus model. Trigger between my Wiim Pro Plus and Denon receiver does not work.

This trigger thing triggers me...
If the reason to buy a WiiM is this trigger gimmick a little research could give a warning sign before. A simple Google search will bring everyone f.e. to this forum.
If the reason for purchasing is all about sound, for what the WiiMs are made, you will hardly find better for such a low price.
If the triggering is so important you have to buy other stuff. More expensive or less sound quality.

Look, the trigger works. But it needs a firmware upgrade to keep the WiiM box powered on as long as you choose! Standby mode ought to mean something... If I leave WiiM on it should STAY ON until either it press the OFF button on the remote OR the correct amount of time passes according to the standby setting. See pic

Wanted to surface this as it may be a fix for those of you experiencing issues here.

I needed a 12V triggered power supply in my living room as I have a "dumb" tube amplifier there with no frills- just an on/off switch and a volume pot.

This power supply triggers on and off effectively with my Wiim Pro. It has 2 plugs that turn on with the 12V signal as well as 1 always on and 1 that turns off with the 12V signal, so it can be leveraged in a variety of setups. You simply need a 2.5mm pigtail to connect as it uses a bare-wire terminal.

When music starts playing or the TV starts sending optical to the Wiim I can hear the relay click on and my tubes begin to glow. After a bit of silence, I can hear the relay click off and the tube amp shut down.

Hope this is helpful for some of you!

Hi, does this still work on your Wiim Pro? And would you know what something like this would be called in Europe? I see it's only sold in the USA but i'm hoping there's some equivalent on my continent..

Last edited:
Hi, does this still work on your Wiim Pro? And would you know what something like this would be called in Europe? I see it's only sold in the USA but i'm hoping there's some equivalent on my conitent..
Here is a verified (by me) solution that works for Europe:

- Audiophonics IEC power switch: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-...v-230v-slave-power-supply-device-p-10661.html.
- @Ton Zandbergen ’s trigger finger: https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/12-volt-trigger-out.814/post-25049

Connect these up and the Wiim Pro trigger is now working perfectly for me.

Back