better audio quality

Pablihifi

Which output do you think transmits better audio quality, RCA, coaxial or optical?

You can't compare the RCA output with the digital outputs . The coax and optical quality depends on the dac its going to. The RCA output is analog and is already processed by the dac in the Wiim.

My question is if I can improve the sound BEFORE I hook up up my Wiim Pro plus.

I have a 3.0 modem Arris surfboard model
Connected to Netgear GS 108 prosafe switch Poe. I was wondering what upgrade in this signal chain would I experience the greatest improvement vs value for $?

Which output do you think transmits better audio quality, RCA, coaxial or optical?
Only you can decide that depending on what you’re connecting it to and whether it has a “better” DAC than the WiiM, or more accurately, whether you prefer the sound of one means of connection over another. Personally, I wouldn’t expect there to be a difference between coax and optical if the target device supports up to the same resolution on both.

Connected to Netgear GS 108 prosafe switch Poe. I was wondering what upgrade in this signal chain would I experience the greatest improvement vs value for $?
Given that what’s being delivered to the streamer is a file not an audio stream, then as long as you have a stable interference free connection with sufficient bandwidth, I can’t see how anything could make a difference to its delivery.

I believe you misunderstood my question.

Please re-read:

"My question is if I can improve the sound BEFORE I hook up up my Wiim Pro plus."

I talking about network ethernet hookups here.....Hard ethernet connection vs. Wireless?

A better quality ethernet switch?

A better quality Modem?

Do these things improve the signal chain BEFORE REACHING THE WIIM PRO PLUS INPUT?

Please re-read:

"My question is if I can improve the sound BEFORE I hook up up my Wiim Pro plus."

I talking about network ethernet hookups here.....Hard ethernet connection vs. Wireless?

A better quality Modem?

Do these things improve the signal chain BEFORE REACHING THE WIIM PRO PLUS INPUT?
Short answer = No. Check your internet speed with Fast.com or similar. WiFi or Ethernet are strictly 1s and 0s. If you have a stable network with good download speeds, you’re all set.

Please re-read:

A better quality Modem?

Stream HI Def music. That's all you can do. Your DAC, AMP, Speakers, and room on the other side is where the difference is made. Quite a few of us take the speakers and room out of the equation and get a set of quality headphones.

Only you can decide that depending on what you’re connecting it to and whether it has a “better” DAC than the WiiM, or more accurately, whether you prefer the sound of one means of connection over another. Personally, I wouldn’t expect there to be a difference between coax and optical if the target device supports up to the same resolution on both.
Coax has higher bandwidth and might enable higher bitrate / less compression from some sources.

Please re-read:

A better quality Modem?

Until recently I was using as WiFi to Ethernet bridge a tp link wr902ac in client mode with supra cat8 1m to ifi lan silencer connected to WiiM pro plus .

Now since I placed the speakers relatively near the modem , I have connected a cheap 2 euro 5m cat5e cable from modem straight to ifi lan silencer to WiiM pro plus .

All equipment connected to a new AudioQuest power quest 2 .

What I observe is a clear difference between straight Ethernet and WiFi to Ethernet bridge . I had a high shelf -2db q=1 pew filter before and now I have removed it

I have ordered a 3m qed performance graphite Ethernet cable which is cat6 and much better construction than the one I am using . I can’t use supra in straight connection because it is short.

Last edited:

Please re-read:

A better quality Modem?

No, I think I understood it well enough. As long as you have a stable network connection and sufficient bandwidth to transfer a hi res file, your WiiM streamer will receive the file and convert it to audio. Sound doesn’t come into it

Coax has higher bandwidth and might enable higher bitrate / less compression from some sources.
That's not true. Toslink and spdif deliver the same protocol.
The myth of more bandwidth came from early days of digital connection, in the late eighties, where cheap optical converters where in use. Even today, some devices cap the maximum sample rate on optical but also other do the same on coax. It's a single device own limit only.
Consider also, that carrying 192khz sample rate on coax, it's not a so easy task so the final results (errors or no errors) depends from how good is the specific connection involved, any kind it would be.

There are companies that will sell you a $700 or $7000 audiophile Ethernet switch. You can get audiophile Ethernet cables as well.
Yeah, but just because you can doesn’t mean you should ;)

The latest Darko video makes a good point in my opinion - if you have that sort of money to spend on Ethernet switches, then it will be after you’ve made other improvements well up the chain, and that you’d be better off using the cash it for room correction instead.

That's not true. Toslink and spdif deliver the same protocol.
The myth of more bandwidth came from early days of digital connection, in the late eighties, where cheap optical converters where in use. Even today, some devices cap the maximum sample rate on optical but also other do the same on coax. It's a single device own limit only.
Consider also, that carrying 192khz sample rate on coax, it's not a so easy task so the final results (errors or no errors) depends from how good is the specific connection involved, any kind it would be.
Yeah, it’s amazing how many old myths Hi fi has - we’ll get the glass v plastic fibre arguments coming along soon 🤣🤣

I’ve found that ifi power supply to both modem and switch alongside an Ifi lan silencer into the wiim gave worthwhile improvement. a better quality phone lead to the modem and removal of the plug in phone/ internet splitter also brought about improvement (But this would depend on not using land line phone) As did grounding the netgear switch. also used flat cat8 cable but this was for ease of routing.

im no electrical or network whizz so can’t explain why this helped in my system but my ears tell me it did. Hth

Where I live we are able to get fiberoptic gigabit ethernet with CenturyLink for US$75/month. On one ethernet connected machine, our Fast.com speed is 940mbps. Using a TPLink X20 mesh system, I get 300-375 via wireless. Way more than necessary but nice to have!

Years before to expand and give Ethernet to two devices I was using a tp link sg105 v6 . I was wondering what is the fuss and I have connected it after my router and from that the Supra cat 8 to ifi lan silencer and WiiM pro plus . Indeed it seems that the sound is much clearer when this device is in between compared to straight connection .

Last edited:
Back