Coaxial vs Optical output?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcamp

Coaxial vs Optical output? Which has a better sound quality?

Maybe it depends on the cable... (I'm asking for trouble with that one.)
Some dacs accept up to 96khz max via optical, if that matters to you. Most don't have that restriction with coax.

tbh, whichever you prefer.

Maybe it depends on the cable... (I'm asking for trouble with that one.)
Some dacs accept up to 96khz max via optical, if that matters to you. Most don't have that restriction with coax.

tbh, whichever you prefer.
My DAC has 24/192 max on both... so sound quality is the same?

My DAC has 24/192 max on both... so sound quality is the same?
Streams sent on the WiiM digital output will be the same. Final result, I mean the stream received, depends on the DAC.

I think we're back to suck it and see.
According to some, some dacs can sound different depending on the input used.
Try both, and then you'll know which you prefer, if either, and then it becomes a non-issue.

Some measure differently for sure. Audibility is a delicate matter.

Apologies for hijacking. Would coax give a better sound quality than line out (RCA) please? I’m going to compare them anyway. My Pro just arrived and I’m using it now via RCA’s supplied, but I’ve also connected it to my amp via a decent co-ax cable too. Thanks

Apologies for hijacking. Would coax give a better sound quality than line out (RCA) please? I’m going to compare them anyway. My Pro just arrived and I’m using it now via RCA’s supplied, but I’ve also connected it to my amp via a decent co-ax cable too. Thanks
It's apples vs oranges, digital vs analog. All depends on the DAC you would connect to.

The bundled cable is certainly not of the highest quality, so using a higher one you may notice some small improvement.
Just don't spend a thousand dollars on a cable

It's apples vs oranges, digital vs analog. All depends on the DAC you would connect to.
I’m using the internal DAC of my Audiolab 6000a. So it’s a case of Wiim DAC (Analogue) v Audiolab DAC (Digital)?

The bundled cable is certainly not of the highest quality, so using a higher one you may notice some small improvement.
Just don't spend a thousand dollars on a cable
I paid £50 for a Mogami cable. I guess in cable terms that’s still very inexpensive.

For a cable intended to carry a "line" signal it is more than sufficient.
Thanks very much. I’m listening now via coax and it immediately sounds better (to my old ears!) or maybe it’s just wishful thinking!

Thanks very much. I’m listening now via coax and it immediately sounds better (to my old ears!) or maybe it’s just wishful thinking!
It really depends on what's at the other end of the cable.
With 1-2V signals the differences between two cables are very small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back