Coaxial vs Optical output?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The uncertainty principle? Are you sure? 🤣 🤣
Well yes.
If we go to investigate the causes of these things we inevitably end up talking about Plank and Heisenberg.
Ultimately it all depends on noise, which depends on uncertainty, which depends on quantum mechanics.
Noise isn't just what we hear from the speakers, that's just the end effect.
Noise is the quantum uncertainty that contributes to a thousand things going wrong, including whether a cable or fiber optic transceiver introduces jitter.
Or that a DAC's output doesn't quite match what it should be based on the expected value.

Not sure if thermal noise for example is a quantum effect, but, well, never mind.

Not sure if thermal noise for example is a quantum effect, but, well, never mind.
In atoms an electron can only assume discrete energy levels, so yes, even thermal noise has to do with quantum.
In general everything that is not macroscopic has to do with quantum.

In atoms an electron can only assume discrete energy levels, so yes, even thermal noise has to do with quantum.
In general everything that is not macroscopic has to do with quantum.
But this effect based on the Brownian motion and thermal fluctuations is macroscopic when compared to the Heisenberg principle.

Let me quote:

"Macroscopic manifestations of quantum phenomena are easily disturbed, so quantum noise is mainly observed in systems where conventional sources of noise are suppressed. In general, noise is uncontrolled random variation from an expected value and is typically unwanted. General causes are thermal fluctuations, mechanical vibrations, industrial noise, fluctuations of voltage from a power supply, thermal noise due to Brownian motion, instrumentation noise, a laser's output mode deviating from the desired mode of operation, etc. If present, and unless carefully controlled, these other noise sources typically dominate and mask quantum noise."

And also, for thermal noise:

"Nyquist also pointed out that quantum effects occur for very high frequencies or very low temperatures near absolute zero."

where these frequencies for room temperatures would be in the terahertz.

But this effect based on the Brownian motion and thermal fluctuations is macroscopic when compared to the Heisenberg principle.
Brownian motion treats particles as macroscopic elements.
What actually happens is that the decay of an electron from a higher to a lower energy level releases a photon of frequency f = ∆E / h, where ∆E is the energy distance between the two states and h is Planck's constant. The (chaotic) set of all the photons emitted obtains the noise from the loudspeaker as a result.
Allow me to remind you that until Plank published his works on black body radiation and quantum and Einstein postulated the existence of photons, all this was not understood and recourse was made to adaptations of classical mechanics.
Basically, until 1905, photons didn't exist, and therefore, there was no understanding of energy emission caused by energy jumps. From 1900, a group of heated molecules began releasing energy across a statistical set of frequencies, and from 1905, this radiation started to be carried by photons.
Before that... well, they adapted with what they knew.

But do we really have to continue with quantum physics?

Last edited by a moderator:
No.

Please take this conversation offline if you wish, it's already way off topic for this forum. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation :)
You don't have to tell me, I had already invited to drop many posts back

Too bad 😇 a saw it like a courtship dance...
I have already asked the admin to remove my account from the forum, I hope your problem can be resolved quickly.
In the meantime, I invite you to put me on the ignore list, which I am about to do with you.

I have already asked the admin to remove my account from the forum, I hope your problem can be resolved quickly.
In the meantime, I invite you to put me on the ignore list, which I am about to do with you.
That's a shame. I think you could have contributed significantly to this forum, just maybe not so vehemently.
One thing I like about this place, compared to may other forums, is the general friendliness and respect of the discussions, even with diametrically opposed viewpoints.

One thing I like about this place, compared to may other forums, is the general friendliness and rrespect of the discussions, even with diametrically opposed viewpoints.

And some humour/ light hearted banter which seems to have gone whizzing over some people's head? Ah well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back