Wiim Pro output from Line In to both Line Out and AirPlay Receiver

marcreif

I have a recently-purchased Wiim Pro connected to an older Pioneer receiver and I have a Sonos Era 100 connected via wifi in a different room. I can get audio simultaneously from an app on phone to both the speakers connected to the Pioneer receiver and to the Sonos speaker. I can play from CD or vinyl to EITHER speakers attached to Pioneer receiver OR to Sonos Era 100, but not to both simultaneously. Wiim App only lets me select either Line Out or AirPlay receiver, not both at the same time. Is it possible to output from Line In to Line Out and AirPlay receiver at the same time? If so, what am I doing wrong? Thanks!

As a matter of interest, as I have an SX750 how is playing the amp out to the Sonos 100 on its own? I have an Era 300 and also Arc with two play 3s connected as rear speakers

As a matter of interest, as I have an SX750 how is playing the amp out to the Sonos 100 on its own? I have an Era 300 and also Arc with two play 3s connected as rear speakers
Works fine for that, sounds good. I'm no audiophile, but I don't detect a difference between the quality of the Sonos when playing a digital signal vs. the originally analog vinyl signal.

I have a recently-purchased Wiim Pro connected to an older Pioneer receiver and I have a Sonos Era 100 connected via wifi in a different room. I can get audio simultaneously from an app on phone to both the speakers connected to the Pioneer receiver and to the Sonos speaker. I can play from CD or vinyl to EITHER speakers attached to Pioneer receiver OR to Sonos Era 100, but not to both simultaneously. Wiim App only lets me select either Line Out or AirPlay receiver, not both at the same time. Is it possible to output from Line In to Line Out and AirPlay receiver at the same time? If so, what am I doing wrong? Thanks!

I’m trying to do exactly what you’re after, and just like you I got the Wiim Pro Plus, just to find out you can only pick one output at a time.
I like the Wiim otherwise, so I wonder if there’s something affordable that could serve as the missing transmitter, without breaking the bank or adding a lot more footprint and wires.
Let me know if you find a good solution. I’ll keep you posted as well.

What about adding a Wiim mini in the other room.
When you suggest "adding a Mini in the other room" you probably meant attaching a Mini for the speakers in the other room, meaning attaching the Mini to my main receiver's out (in addition to the Pro Plus that's attached to the receiver's in), correct? If I understand that right, the Mini would then serve as an ADC transmitter, feeding the wireless speakers in the other room.

Given the above works, is the Mini's ADC as good as the Plus' – will that even matter?

Since I'll just need the ADC/transmitter function to feed wireless speakers, I now wonder if I should consider a cheaper transmitter, or even look for a receiver/transmitter kit (1Mii and YMOO seem to have decent offerings) – which would also add powered speakers to the speaker options (vs. wireless only)? I don't think Wiim offers such a thing, right? Unless I'd use two or three Minis, but that seems a bit overkill.

So based on what you're saying, you can still stream audio from your phone through speakers connected to your receiver and cast out to your sonos speakers, but (based on later posts) you are not able to play music via vinyl, etc. through your receiver and your WiiM, is that right? What are you using for streaming the music?

Essentially, I have a Sony STR-DH190 receiver that is connected to a turntable and passive speakers, and then two different sonos speakers in other rooms. The receiver also has bluetooth input so I can stream music to the passives but can't do multi-room. It would be great to have my turntable play through both my passives and then cast out to my Sonos, but honestly I'd be happy if I could just stream music to all of them together.

I’m trying to do exactly what you’re after, and just like you I got the Wiim Pro Plus, just to find out you can only pick one output at a time.
I like the Wiim otherwise, so I wonder if there’s something affordable that could serve as the missing transmitter, without breaking the bank or adding a lot more footprint and wires.
Let me know if you find a good solution. I’ll keep you posted as well.
Regarding the Wiims only being able to stream to one output at a time, there is a slight exception - being that if you are using the Airplay output, you can stream to multiple airplay devices simultaneously - I just tried it, and could send the same Wiim Pro stream to both my Sonos Arc and Naim QB2 at the same time, and i didn't notice any sync issue.

Regarding the Wiims only being able to stream to one output at a time, there is a slight exception - being that if you are using the Airplay output, you can stream to multiple airplay devices simultaneously - I just tried it, and could send the same Wiim Pro stream to both my Sonos Arc and Naim QB2 at the same time, and i didn't notice any sync issue.
That's still only classed as one output interface (probably a better word than stream in this context) i.e one of the options on the Audio output page

Of course. I know there is still only "one output" - my comment was in the context of the discussion about "how do i stream my turntable's output to multiple speakers in different rooms with only one wiim device with one active output" - Airplay provides a limited option to do so, IF all the speakers/devices are, or can be made, Airplay compatible.
That's still only classed as one output interface (probably a better word than stream in this context) i.e one of the options on the Audio output page

It seems to be confirmed here that I can't stream from a music service to my receiver with the Pro Plus and at the same time use the Pro's wireless output to send the same signal to wireless speakers.

It would be awesome if I'd be be able to transmit sound from any source (including streaming, phono, CD) to wireless speakers (in the other room), while at the same time listening to my wired speakers in the main room. I haven't given up on that just yet.
I still try to figure out what the best, most cost effective way would be to add that missing transmitter/ADC functionality to my system – to pick up the analog signal from my old school receiver, translate that to a digital signal and transmit it wirelessly to 4-6 wireless speakers (preferably via WiFi) in another room.

Adding another Wiim device (like a Mini) was one solution suggested above.
If I go that way, is the Mini all I need?
Can the Mini transmit via Wifi (not just Bluetooth)?
Does the quality (ADC, sound, speed, stability...) differ significantly between the Mini and the Pros when using it as an ADC/transmitter in the above intended way?

Are there any other budget-friendly ADC/transmitter-solutions out there worth considering?
Did anyone try the 1Mii stuff or has tinkered with Acrylic kits?

Thank you all!

The mini can only act as an airplay receiver, not transmitter so you’d need to use the Pro Plus (which has the best ADC) as source while the Mini would become a target connected to the receiver.

With other words: I need another Pro Plus plugged into the receiver’s out on one side, plus one Mini connected to each receiving wireless speaker on the other end?
Wireless speakers can’t pick up the signal sent from the Pro Plus on their own? I thought that’s what makes them wireless speakers in the first place?
Maybe you were referring to just powered speakers?

With other words: I need another Pro Plus plugged into the receiver’s out on one side, plus one Mini connected to each receiving wireless speaker on the other end?
Wireless speakers can’t pick up the signal sent from the Pro Plus on their own? I thought that’s what makes them wireless speakers in the first place?
I’m suggesting using the WiiM Pro Plus as a source switch which takes input from any of the sources you mention (CD, phono or streaming service) and then uses airplay casting to send that to multiple destinations. As your receiver doesn’t support airplay, that’s where the mini would provide that feature and that, not the pro plus, would be connected to your receiver to drive your speakers when you wanted multiple destinations. Strictly speaking the Pro plus wouldn’t be connected to your receiver in that setup (as it can’t output over that connection and airplay cast at the same time) but it would still be of benefit for it to be connected if you were only listening to your receiver and not the other airplay speakers as you’d then get higher resolution playback

Please, have you identified which Wi-Fi protocol(s) your remote Wi-Fi speakers support?? AirPlay, ChromeCast, Bluetooth, other??
WiiM supports Line-Out, Digital-Out (Optical/SPDIF), Bluetooth - to any one output at a time. WiiM also supports multi-room output via AirPlay, ChromeCast, and WiiM's own Multi-Room Protocol - again to one protocol/group at a time.
So, you literally have your pick of output options...
Of the WiiM devices, the WiiM Mini is the most affordable - and least capable. It lacks ChromeCast and SPDIF, and has a weak ADC.
Next up, the WiiM Pro adds ChromeCast and SPDIF and RCA-Out Connectors, but shares the ADC of the Mini.
The current top device is the WiiM Pro Plus, which dramatically improves both the ADC and DAC.
Again, you have options...
If your Turntable has a capable built-in Phono Preamp, and your Stereo Receiver and Remote Speakers support either AirPlay or ChromeCast, you could use a single WiiM Pro Plus as your centerpiece with the TT connected to its Line-In and CD/DVD/TV to Digital inputs and send output to one AirPlay or ChromeCast Speaker Group that includes all your output devices.
If your Turntable needs the Phono Stage of your Stereo Receiver, then place the WiiM Pro Plus on a Line-Out/Pre-Out from your Receiver to source Phono to the AirPlay / ChromeCast Speaker Group that now includes just those Remote Speakers as you drive your Stereo-connected Speakers via the Stereo. And include the Stereo Receiver in that Speaker Group when you want Streaming Audio from the WiiM Pro Plus.
Or, you could add a number of "satellite" WiiM Minis directly to each set of Remote Speakers (if they have Line-In), and leverage the WiiM Multi-room protocol which adds its own Latency Control to the mix (plus the ability to split off a Room unit to play from its own WiiM provided Streaming Source).
Options...

Last edited:
I haven’t identified wireless protocols for the speakers yet, I don’t have them yet.
I’m relatively new to all that - I bought my Pro Plus less than a month ago.
I ask all these questions here to figure out what kind of wireless speakers and transmitter combo makes the most sense.
For that reason I haven’t limited myself to a particular protocol.
Based on my still limited knowledge, from what I learned so far, I’d probably prefer WiFi over Bluetooth, and USB powered or battery-re-chargeable speakers may be more practical but I can be convinced otherwise.
Maybe there is also a good solution to make powered speakers wireless, which would allow for more speaker choices.

My goal is to keep my vintage receiver as the main intake/amp system, but to add wireless “secondary” speakers.
Right now all the sources go into my receiver.
Music services (right now mostly Spotify, but I may consider Tidal or other high-res options in the future) are sourced through the Pro Plus, connected via RCA out to my receiver’s in.
Phono is directly connected to the receiver, as it has one of the best phono sections I’ve come across so far.
The CD player is currently also directly connected to the receiver.

I think at this point I’m just trying to figure out the best way to send sound from my vintage receiver to wireless speakers, wirelessly (no matter what source), while at the same time playing the speakers in the main room that are already wired to my receiver (let’s not get into lagging/delay here - that’s a different topic).

If I’m not mistaken I need to connect some kind of device that translates the analog sound coming out of the receiver to a digital signal (ADC). That device should then transmit that signal wirelessly to wireless speakers.
Can a Mini alone do that?

Last edited:
Some of the confusion may be me not being familiar with all the terminologies. For the sake of simplicity let’s just use “receiver” for my vintage/analog receiver only, and call the streaming, DAC, transmitter… devices by their names (e.g. Pro Plus). That may help.

Back