Prickling sensation when touching WiiM Amp

There are just two wires that can be switched back and forth at the amp every time. What kind of error exactly could a wall socket tester detect that would lead to what the OP is describing?
I've bought several different houses over the years and an inspection, including electrical, is always part of the buying process. At least two of them had a few sockets wired incorrectly. I've simply offered the idea as a something to check as it is easy to do and the devices are inexpensive. Of note is that every Wiim amp the OP has seems to have the problem to some degree. If a design flaw there would certainly be a lot more complaints. And it seems unlikely the OP is the only person who received multiple defective units when there have apparently been no other complaints, at least that we've heard of. Given those factors, the problem seems likely to go back to something about the OP's environment.

I've offered my two cents, so the OP can use it or ignore it as he sees fit. No need to beat the issue into the ground. Hope he finds a solution.

Appreciate the explanation! And my apologies, I did not mean to presume it being a design flaw, but to emphasize that all units behave consistently, meaning it being normal (or not) for all units and not related to a fault in the setup.

Regarding "as can you" - well, for most of my Amps I'm just playing music on some bookshelf speakers, using a WiFi source, so there's nothing nearby to connect to.

However, as long as it's indeed safe and normal, this doesn't bother me.
Thanks also to support for pointing out that it indeed _is_ both safe and normal.

Just tested once more:

- Myself standing on the floor (any room, tile or carpet), especially with bare feet: prickling.

- Plugging in HDMI to TV: prickling stops.

- Detaching myself from the ground (e.g. small ladder with plastic steps): prickling stops.

This is identical behavior for all four of my units now.

Still wondering if this is safe though (especially because connecting HDMI seems to ground it).
Have you tried reversing power plug? In my experience, some devices show a stronger effect depending on the polarity of the plug.
Probably related to the fact that in Europe usually the neutral is also connected to ground, and to how the case is capacitively coupled to the power supply line.

I've offered my two cents, so the OP can use it or ignore it as he sees fit. No need to beat the issue into the ground. Hope he finds a solution.
I didn't question your experience as a house buyer and I'm not discussing anything away. I'm just asking how incorrect wiring could possibly cause the phenomenon.

I take it you don't have an explanation. No need to be upset.

Have you tried reversing power plug? In my experience, some devices show a stronger effect depending on the polarity of the plug.
Probably related to the fact that in Europe usually the neutral is also connected to ground, and to how the case is capacitively coupled to the power supply line.
This definitely is a real thing, but shouldn't happen to a device that isn't connected to ground (Type C plug, CEE 7/16).

Trying it doesn't hurt and costs absolutely nothing. I just wouldn't bet my money on it.

I didn't question your experience as a house buyer and I'm not discussing anything away. I'm just asking how incorrect wiring could possibly cause the phenomenon.

I take it you don't have an explanation. No need to be upset.
No skin off my teeth. I see only three possibilities. 1) a bad design. 2) multiple units with identical defects that weren't caught by QC, all sold to one individual. 3) Something in the OP's setup, other equipment or house that is adversely affecting the units. Take your pick.

Last edited:
I also have this problem, although plugging HDMI doesn't resolve it, I guess because my LG C9 (EU version) doesn't have a grounding pin in its power cable either.

Back