WiiM Amp WiFi issues

Turtleboy

Hi. First post. I figured it was better netiquette to post to the thread. The Wifi in this thing is awful. I want to love it as a streamer so much, but I just can't keep connected to the Wifi. The router is upstairs in a closet and this is downstairs. However, I have 4-5 other devices near it that don't have problems. Any suggestions?

(Edited and moved to new thread by moderator)

Last edited by a moderator:
Since my WiiM Amp is connected to LAN by wire I don’t know how good or bad it’s Wifi is. But a possible workaround could be to connect the Amp by wire to a Wifi Repeater nearby (which is connected to your regular WiFi).

Since my WiiM Amp is connected to LAN by wire I don’t know how good or bad it’s Wifi is. But a possible workaround could be to connect the Amp by wire to a Wifi Repeater nearby (which is connected to your regular WiFi).

I guess I should have started a new thread! I'll try that.

I've found the WiiM very good for WiFi. Do you have a mesh network? Is the WiiM connected to 2.4Ghz rather than 5GHz? This can cause communication issues as well as interference from the quintillion devices also on that frequency. What IP addresses do your devices have? This can often shed light on potential issues if not in the same network. Have you looked at network status in WiiM app to see what signal strength is has? Will show you band in the as well....router software will also show and let you compare against other devices that seem to work well.

I had an issue with my CD player and it turned out to be VPN service on my cellphone impacting the remote app. That's more of works or doesn't though rather than performance issues. Good luck.
Cheers,
John

Hi. First post. I figured it was better netiquette to post to the thread. The Wifi in this thing is awful. I want to love it as a streamer so much, but I just can't keep connected to the Wifi. The router is upstairs in a closet and this is downstairs. However, I have 4-5 other devices near it that don't have problems. Any suggestions?

(Edited and moved to new thread by moderator)
What is it sitting on / under / next to?
I'm pretty sure I recall someone here saying that moving theirs a bit further away from other equipment (might have been a pro though, rather than an amp) helped with their wifi connection.

Hi all,

First post as well and supporting this: did purchased a WiiM Amp to replace my Powernode and tested it today. Build quality as good as Bluesound (binding posts are even better), incredible value package (WiiM even provide high quality HDMI, RCA and toslink cables) BUT extremely poor WiFi connectivity in my busy environment.

Amp was unable to connect to 5 Ghz and connection to 2.4 Ghz was so poor the unit was just not usable where my Powernode has never failed. Sending the WiiM Amp back (no other choice despite I was willing to love it).

Does anyone knows if Mini and Pro/+ share the same WiFi modules than the Amp? Guess yes and in that case those will have very poor WiFi connectivity as well which is a shame. WiiM WiFi is even worse than the Shield's which is not great.

Sad WiiM fails here (when app says "keep the Amp close to your router" they mean it). Wires, extenders and CLP plugs are not acceptable options, Sonos and Bluesound are top-notch on that front and bad WiFi connectivity is simply a no-go.

Still great to see how this company innovates and hope it will improve this one day. Congratulations for all other achievements so far.

Hi all,

First post as well and supporting this: did purchased a WiiM Amp to replace my Powernode and tested it today. Build quality as good as Bluesound (binding posts are even better), incredible value package (WiiM even provide high quality HDMI, RCA and toslink cables) BUT extremely poor WiFi connectivity in my busy environment.

Amp was unable to connect to 5 Ghz and connection to 2.4 Ghz was so poor the unit was just not usable where my Powernode has never failed. Sending the WiiM Amp back (no other choice despite I was willing to love it).

Does anyone knows if Mini and Pro/+ share the same WiFi modules than the Amp? Guess yes and in that case those will have very poor WiFi connectivity as well which is a shame. WiiM WiFi is even worse than the Shield's which is not great.

Sad WiiM fails here (when app says "keep the Amp close to your router" they mean it). Wires, extenders and CLP plugs are not acceptable options, Sonos and Bluesound are top-notch on that front and bad WiFi connectivity is simply a no-go.

Still great to see how this company innovates and hope it will improve this one day. Congratulations for all other achievements so far.
Have you checked the network status in the device settings of the WiiM app and tried the appropriate settings?

Thank you. Yes I did. Said signal was poor. Activate IPv6 or not was not making a difference, preferred DNS neither, only other option was "set to 5 Ghz". What should I have done?

I went through the same thing when the Amp first came out . The Amp hated my wifi, and if there is one thing I have is good wifi. My mesh wifi has no issues with any other device including three WiiM devices.

Thank you. Yes I did. Said signal was poor. Activate IPv6 or not was not making a difference, preferred DNS neither, only other option was "set to 5 Ghz". What should I have done?

If you've already tried them, there may not be much else you can do. (You can manually configure "Configure IP" and "AP MAC" in the network status, but I don't know if this will help solve your problem.)

Changing the location and orientation of your WiiM can improve Wi-Fi.

However, in my tests, I feel that the WiiM amp is a bit less Wi-Fi sensitive than the WiiM pro. This may have something to do with the aluminum case.

I went through the same thing when the Amp first came out . The Amp hated my wifi, and if there is one thing I have is good wifi. My mesh wifi has no issues with any other device including three WiiM devices.
Thank you for the feedback. Weird you experienced better connectivity with other WiiM devices as they might share same WiFi module. Have you had better experience with a newer WiiM Amp unit?

If you've already tried them, there may not be much else you can do. (You can manually configure "Configure IP" and "AP MAC" in the network status, but I don't know if this will help solve your problem.)

Changing the location and orientation of your WiiM can improve Wi-Fi.

However, in my tests, I feel that the WiiM amp is a bit less Wi-Fi sensitive than the WiiM pro. This may have something to do with the aluminum case.
Thank you so much for trying to help. Just think in my case signal environment is too busy for the WiiM and that it is sadly not working. May be improved in the future and maybe I'll try WiiM again at some point but now it is an exciting while finally disappointing experience

I’m pretty sure all the aluminum/metal (housing, heat sink) in contrast to other WiiM products is not favorable to the WiFi signal strength.

Thank you for the feedback. Weird you experienced better connectivity with other WiiM devices as they might share same WiFi module. Have you had better experience with a newer WiiM Amp unit?
They might share the same wifi module but the WiiM Amp has a metal case that the others don’t. Having said that I don’t have any wifi issues with mine but fortunately it’s set up close to my router. Its RSSI though shows -52, while my Mini just a shelf underneath it is around -43, while my Pro Plus shows -32 sitting just above my router. They’re all within 2m of the router but do vary…

If you’re still not using using mesh WiFi in 2024, well… get with the times!

I was pretty disgusted with the experience. I decided I will skip the Amp, and I just sent it back. It's WiiM's forrum, and I don't want to rock the boat. Let's just say I wasn't impressed. I actually think the Amp was defective. It could have been dropped...who knows. I do have three other WiiM devices, and I do like them a lot.

Curious, have you tried moving the amp to a different spot to see if that improves the wifi signal? I remember some years ago at a different house I had a Squeezebox radio in the kitchen that was having connection problems like you dscribe. It turned out the washing machine and dryer were directly in the path between the radio and router. Moving the router about 2 or 3 feet solved the problem. Since the washer/dryer were in a closet out of sight the "line of sight" pathway wasn't immediately obvious.

Back