Bypassing Wiim Pro DAC

slowsoul

Please forgive me as I am a newbie.

I would like to purchase a Wiim Pro since I simply need a digital source to feed into an integrated amplifier (Audiolab 6000a). Can I directly bypass the Wiim Pro's DAC with an optical connection?

I read that it is necessary to choose the fixed audio option and disable the EQ, but if I wanted to use the PEQ levels, would I go back to using the Wiim's DAC? Or should I just buy a Wiim Pro Plus with a superior DAC and not worry about it?

you can just bypass the pro's DAC if you choose optical out - presuming that's what sounds better to you...
whether the upgraded DAC in the pro plus is worth it for you, only you can decide, i guess?

just had a look at the audiolab. and i think you should use the audiolab's internal DAC. i would say it will outperform even the Pro PLus' DAC but that's just a guess.

you can just bypass the pro's DAC if you choose optical out - presuming that's what sounds better to you...
whether the upgraded DAC is worth it for you, only you can decide, i guess?

But, if I mess with PEQ levels, isn't it going back to the DAC included in the Pro?

But, if I mess with PEQ levels, isn't it going back to the DAC included in the Pro?
No. Using a digital output bypasses the WiiM internal DAC as no digital to analogue conversion is taking place. If you set fixed volume output and don’t use EQ/PEQ then the output will be bit perfect, however if you take a pragmatic view that bit perfect simply means the WiiM device doesn’t make any unwanted changes to the signal, then relax and use EQ/PEQ to change the signal to suit your preferences.

No. Using a digital output bypasses the WiiM internal DAC as no digital to analogue conversion is taking place. If you set fixed volume output and don’t use EQ/PEQ then the output will be bit perfect, however if you take a pragmatic view that bit perfect simply means the WiiM device doesn’t make any unwanted changes to the signal, then relax and use EQ/PEQ to change the signal to suit your preferences.
yes, i forgot to mention the bit-perfect part. but i don't think it makes much of a difference to overall SQ. (bitperfect is not the be all and end all imo)

Back