Test WIIM pro+ with different power supplies

macro/microdynamics, soundstage, realism in imaging, "weight" of a sound (the feeling of it being a live performance)
All these things are part of the perceived sound quality, an impression built by the brain. None of it is a factor which defines the ability of the device to reproduce the content faithfully, the objective metric of sound quality.
Measurements focus on factors which influence parts mentioned by you.

All these things are part of the perceived sound quality, an impression built by the brain.
You are assuming measurements are perfect and that anything that cannot be measured is imagined. That is a gross overestimation of the measurement ability we have.

"I can promise you that Wiim devices do NOT run on the 5v USB supply!" can you enlighten me how the Wiim Pro /Plus utilizes the 5V USB power to drive the digitial board? I noticed the audio board has two 4700µF caps. Thanks
Sorry. I missed this post.
I'm fairly confident that the Wiim uses a switching regulator to reduce the 5v from the USB input to a more usual 3v3. It's extremely unlikely that any digital device in any Wiim device operates at 5v.
It's conceivable that an audio board has an entirely separate power regime.
Without a schematic it's impossible to say with certainty,

I've just wasted a good hour going back and reading this entire thread. And I'm still none the wiser. Do I need to buy a better power supply for my WiiM Pro Plus, use an old Apple USB power supply, or just crack on with the power supply that was in the box? Which sounds fine so far, to my ears.

I've just wasted a good hour going back and reading this entire thread. And I'm still none the wiser. Do I need to buy a better power supply for my WiiM Pro Plus, use an old Apple USB power supply, or just crack on with the power supply that was in the box? Which sounds fine so far, to my ears.
That also depends on the resolution of your system and your taste. With my modest DAC / Headphone Amp driving my headphones I found the WIim Pro powered by a linear power supply from Audiophonics gave a more pleasant and more natural sound. I did not have the possibility to listen first before buying the LPS, luckily it did turn out to be a worthwhile improvement in my situation.

That also depends on the resolution of your system and your taste. With my modest DAC / Headphone Amp driving my headphones I found the WIim Pro powered by a linear power supply from Audiophonics gave a more pleasant and more natural sound. I did not have the possibility to listen first before buying the LPS, luckily it did turn out to be a worthwhile improvement in my situation.
Interesting - how much do these things cost?

If the WiiM Pro Plus required a better power supply, WiiM would have provided it in the box, or available for purchase. It's simple as that.
No, not necessarily!
Have you ever heard of a manufacturer making compromises when developping a product?
The engineer might try to give his best - but then comes the marketing department, the sales-people, etc. who have the whole market with all the other products in their sight:
So there is a price-point for every product how much it may cost the customer.
And there is a price-point how much a product may cost until it appears in the store. ===> And the difference ist the profit!
There you have all the compromises coming from.
A manufacturer looks at the points that the customer looks at, for example what can a product/a device do ("features"), what are the marketing key-parts in it (DAC, etc.)....
The power supply is not often looked at by the customer, so just provide anything that will work.
So there is much room for something that could work better, that might work better, that will work better....

No, not necessarily!
Have you ever heard of a manufacturer making compromises when developping a product?
The engineer might try to give his best - but then comes the marketing department, the sales-people, etc. who have the whole market with all the other products in their sight:
So there is a price-point for every product how much it may cost the customer.
And there is a price-point how much a product may cost until it appears in the store. ===> And the difference ist the profit!
There you have all the compromises coming from.
A manufacturer looks at the points that the customer looks at, for example what can a product/a device do ("features"), what are the marketing key-parts in it (DAC, etc.)....
The power supply is not often looked at by the customer, so just provide anything that will work.
So there is much room for something that could work better, that might work better, that will work better....
Yes, that’s all as maybe. But does it work okay? Or doesn’t it? And if not what are the options and costs of better ones?

If the WiiM Pro Plus required a better power supply, WiiM would have provided it in the box, or available for purchase. It's simple as that.

That is wishful thinking. You think you rationalise but reality is different .

For example the representative of primare talked about the cost effectiveness of their power supply ( on primare np5 mk2 prisma a 600euro transport - no dac) and suggested others for improved performance …

Attachments

• IMG_0728.jpeg
    IMG_0728.jpeg
    517.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0731.jpeg
    IMG_0731.jpeg
    656.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0730.jpeg
    IMG_0730.jpeg
    659.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0729.jpeg
    IMG_0729.jpeg
    659.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0732.jpeg
    IMG_0732.jpeg
    673.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0733.jpeg
    IMG_0733.jpeg
    654.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0734.jpeg
    IMG_0734.jpeg
    648.9 KB · Views: 3
I never saw a non measurement only camper , starting a debate . Only the reverse. Very strong opinions are not substantiated by non experts so don’t have strong opinions … Experts are: audio circuit designers and or those holding phd on audio hardware subjects

Thanks for helping me to decide to not bother researching this topic any further. I’ll stick with the bog standard power suppy. 🙏
Look for a used ifi iPower2, you should be able to find one for $35. If you don't think it makes any improvement flog it on US Audio Mart for what you paid. You'll be out very little and the issue will be settled. But keep in mind that a budget system that is not very revealing won't show any benefit compared to a better system that is. I did this and ended up keeping the iFi.

My thesis: Hifi devices which are powered by an external power supply have other internal circuit parts, which reprocess the external voltage. In this respect, it most likely does not matter which power supply you connect on the outside. If a hifi device still reacts differently to external power supplies, then the developers of this hifi device have failed. Such devices simply should not belong on the market, but that is obviously wishful thinking.
The question of why external power supplies are used at all is answered quite quickly. First reason: The manufacturers save themselves the considerable costs for the CE and VDE approval, which goes into 5-digit thousands (in Germany) for an internal power supply. Second reason: It creates additional profit centers. Best case exclusively internal in the manufacturers company. Linn and Naim, which I love both, as examples. But they produce this PSUs not for 5V digital devices! A kind of specialized industry circles also around.
Of course I accept (and live myself) this motto: Everything what makes me feel good is good also for music listening.
Edited: This was my last post in this thread. Looks weird first posting a disrespectful picture and shortly after that writing also really again ;-)
So don't expect vindications!

Last edited:
Look for a used ifi iPower2, you should be able to find one for $35. If you don't think it makes any improvement flog it on US Audio Mart for what you paid. You'll be out very little and the issue will be settled. But keep in mind that a budget system that is not very revealing won't show any benefit compared to a better system that is. I did this and ended up keeping the iFi.
THANK YOU 🙏 So it’s a 5V one I need to look for, yes ?

lmao, as is often with threads like these. people tend not to offer their experiences because others will ridicule them... :ROFLMAO: it all depends on whether you notice a benefit or not.

i've compared the ifi iPower (v1 that came free with another one of their products i got) vs stock vs other random 5V USB chargers. and atm the iPower. to my ears there is a subtle difference. i also tried it with an LPS (topping p50 which also sounded good) but i had to swap the LPS to power other devices in my digital chain because that sounds better.

imo the best bang for buck out there right now is the topping p50 for powering 5V devices.

Back