“Volume normalization”/“Loudness equalization”

K-L

I find considerable volume variability between songs and the fantastic Mini. Volume normalization or loudness equalization would be even better.

Can you do this from another app, such as bubbleupnp?

Edit - I'm positive I've seen a normalisation option in bubble, but I'm now wondering how that'd work trying to cast to a wiim.
Maybe it's only useful if playing/rendering to the local device.

Edit 2 - I found a replay gain option in bubble in the now playing screen, even when the renderer is set to a wiim.
Not tried it, but maybe worth trying.

Last edited:
Can you do this from another app, such as bubbleupnp?

Edit - I'm positive I've seen a normalisation option in bubble, but I'm now wondering how that'd work trying to cast to a wiim.
Maybe it's only useful if playing/rendering to the local device.

Edit 2 - I found a replay gain option in bubble in the now playing screen, even when the renderer is set to a wiim.
Not tried it, but maybe worth trying.
Hmm, have not been able to locate.

Fascinating. I have hit every 3 dot menu I could find and those options did not appear. Running iOS (?)

No album art etc. as I'm not at home atm, but the option still appears for my nas files.
This is Android; maybe ios is different?
Screenshot_20230515-114852_BubbleUPnP.jpg

Same for Tidal.
Don't judge me - I just went to the What's New section and chose the first playlist....
Screenshot_20230515-115340_BubbleUPnP.jpg

No judgement I assure. Much appreciation. I have never even seen the word(s) "ReplayGain." Perhaps it is Amazon HD as the options above for your local and Tidal pages are so much more than on my iPhone. I would not have even guessed those are Wiim screens above. Maybe Pro v.s. Mini? Now I am really wondering. Thank you.

Much earlier I wrote "Can you do this from another app, such as bubbleupnp?"
My screenshots are from bubbleupnp!

Oh, and as for this "This is Android; maybe ios is different?" - my bad... I briefly forgot bubblle is Android only.

Just as a side note, AMHD does have a loudness normalization option in it's native app. Yet playing through the Wiim app it does not seem to matter whether I have it turned on or not.

Just as a side note, AMHD does have a loudness normalization option in it's native app. Yet playing through the Wiim app it does not seem to matter whether I have it turned on or not.
That setting just applies to that instance of the music app - you could have it set differently on your iphone and ipad for example. I don't know whether the Amazon API that WiiM uses allows a similar setting, I suspect not.

If I'm not wrong, in the WHA equalizer there is also Loudness among the presets.
About Reply Gain I have Qobuz and I use Bubble. As told, tapping the 3 dots on the now playing window a pop up opens up with the choice of reply gain.

Amazon music tracks play at different volume levels. Volume norminalization setting is a MUST! I have been waiting for wiim pro update. Lack of volume norminalization is LAME!

Amazon music tracks play at different volume levels. Volume norminalization setting is a MUST! I have been waiting for wiim pro update. Lack of volume norminalization is LAME!
Upvote the feature request - if a lot of people do, perhaps WiiM will consider it as an option.

Agreed, but you could use Amazon native App that has Normalization function in Settings.

You can only apply Replay Gain if the tags are there to do so. They exist on all my local FLACs but I don't think any of the streaming services include Replay Gain tags. In my experience they prefer "normalisation" which is calculated and applied to the stream on their server i.e. before you receive it.

I’m not convinced that impacts casting from the app using AlexaCast -what’s your experience?
mee too have some doubts... I read somewhere that Tidal and amazon do such adjustment in native app and only if songs are too loud and not rise them when are quiet. Said this i never catched significative variations, using connect nor alexa cast but i'm could be wrong or so...

In my experience, AM app normalization has no effect on AlexaCast or WHA.

As an exception, it only works when sending to WiiM via Bluetooth. Also, when "Atmos" is turned on during Bluetooth transmission, the volume difference is large ("360 Reality Audio" is very low in 2ch playback).

Ps: I don't think the AM normalization function is very effective in the first place🤔

Coincidentally, and perhaps obliquely, just watched this video on mastering and the the loudness wars, with interesting view on what studios and Spotify (and I’d guess other streaming services) demand for the music they offer…

Back