“Volume normalization”/“Loudness equalization”

K-L

I find considerable volume variability between songs and the fantastic Mini. Volume normalization or loudness equalization would be even better.

Again, please stop shouting…

I guess you’re referring to the Qobuz app - the whole point of a free trial is by definition to allow you to try the service and all it offers. If you don’t take a trial, you won’t experience what the service has to offer, hi res and all. There’s no point in complaining about a service when it offers a free way for you to experience before subscribing.

Last edited:
I'm not giving them my $$$ info just to find out that I don't like it. They should let you sample songs in BEST audio quality. LAME
None of that is relevant to this forum. Take your gripe direct to Qobuz (which is excellent btw).

Following this discovery I did some digging over at LMS forum and to my surprise I have found that although the RG tag is not disclosed the Qobuz plugin does provide the track gain tag and if enabled on the player it is supported. This includes the WiiM Mini (and I presume Pro) when utilised with LMS's UPnP/DLNA Bridge in Full Processing mode (not necessarily using the "flow" option).

This is what the plugin author has to say about the modes of operation. The WiiM can operate in either mode as of now but only Full Processing provides Replay Gain and Fade-In./Out etc but NOT Smart Crossfade.

LMS also supports RG on Tidal.
Thought I’d try this yesterday after I had been playing an old mixed playlist I had transferred to Qobuz where the volume was all over the place. I also thought I’d try it on my Mini which tends to take a back place these days to my Pro, especially as @onlyoneme and @Maurizio had mentioned issues they’d had with the mini’s optical output/cables.
So, I turned on transcoding , initially to pcm then flac, but in both instances, I experienced dropouts and choppy playback from Qobuz, Radio Paradise and local files over both its optical and analogue outputs. So I undid the transcoding setting thinking my modest Raspberry PI 3 was maybe not up to task, but my problems persisted, even after restarting LMS and factory resetting the Mini. The Mini seems to behave being driven from the Wiim app or bubbleupnp, but it seems to have fallen out with LMS :( It’s on firmware 517454 from a day or so ago, while my Pro which is behaving itself is still on 516730.

Could you guys see if you’re having similar issues? I’ve raised a ticket as you’d expect…

Thought I’d try this yesterday after I had been playing an old mixed playlist I had transferred to Qobuz where the volume was all over the place. I also thought I’d try it on my Mini which tends to take a back place these days to my Pro, especially as @onlyoneme and @Maurizio had mentioned issues they’d had with the mini’s optical output/cables.
So, I turned on transcoding , initially to pcm then flac, but in both instances, I experienced dropouts and choppy playback from Qobuz, Radio Paradise and local files over both its optical and analogue outputs. So I undid the transcoding setting thinking my modest Raspberry PI 3 was maybe not up to task, but my problems persisted, even after restarting LMS and factory resetting the Mini. The Mini seems to behave being driven from the Wiim app or bubbleupnp, but it seems to have fallen out with LMS :( It’s on firmware 517454 from a day or so ago, while my Pro which is behaving itself is still on 516730.

Could you guys see if you’re having similar issues? I’ve raised a ticket as you’d expect…
I’ll test later but choppiness is usually associated with WiFi issues. Have you rebooted router / WAP

No, but will do. It plays ok when not using LMS using the same sources though.
I have a Pi3 LMS that I use for testing. I’ll try with that later.
Are you playing a mix of 24/192, 24/96 and 16bit stuff?

I have a Pi3 LMS that I use for testing. I’ll try with that later.
Are you playing a mix of 24/192, 24/96 and 16bit stuff?
Yes and no - tried straight Radio Paradise and BBC Sounds, as well as a mixed playlist on Qobuz. Rebooted cable modem/router to no avail, so now back to LMS and the Pro which is performing as expected.

Haven’t bothered changing my optical cable on the mini yet as I get the same drop on analogue too.

Edit: UPNPBridge settings for ref

Attachments

• IMG_7936.jpeg
    IMG_7936.jpeg
    767.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thanks - it is strange. Hopefully WiiM can spot something in my log files
I’ve not checked yet but I used to get similar with a DAC32 on WiFi. It was capable of 2.4Ghz WiFi only. When I swapped it for a Pi on 5Ghz no issues. The WiiM Mini is on 5Ghz. What’s your wifi?

Wifi is 5ghz while Pi is Ethernet. I fired up my PC LMS instance, brought it up to date and it seems OK with the Mini, so I’m rebuilding the Pi’s LMS just now - maybe something got screwed up there that’s been causing the issue. I’ll keep at it and let you know if I’m successful.
Wish there was an easy backup/restore for LMS though….

Panic over - restoring/rebuilding LMS seems to have sorted it. I guess something got screwed up in its config for the Mini which didn’t affect the Pro. What a fun way to spend a Sunday… not.

Wifi is 5ghz while Pi is Ethernet. I fired up my PC LMS instance, brought it up to date and it seems OK with the Mini, so I’m rebuilding the Pi’s LMS just now - maybe something got screwed up there that’s been causing the issue. I’ll keep at it and let you know if I’m successful.
Wish there was an easy backup/restore for LMS though….
There are just a couple of files required to re-create a working server but it isn’t well documented to be fair.

You need server.prefs but you must remove the line that says Server::ID or similar. It’s specific to the machine.

Then there is favourites.opml which stores your favourites.

I’d give you the exact paths but I’m nowhere near my installs at present.

You will always have to do a new scan but it doesn’t take long.

Just upvoted this feature request. I feel that for people who listen to mixed tracks this is a very important feature. I have Tidal and I set up LMS just so I can have replay gain.

Amazon music android app implemented volume norminalization years ago. Wimm Spotify app has volume norminalization why not Amazon and Qobuz apps?

Amazon music android app implemented volume norminalization years ago. Wimm Spotify app has volume norminalization why not Amazon and Qobuz apps?
It could be that the third party API (and AlexaCast) don’t offer the option of volume normalization. I’d suggest you raise a ticket with WiiM thru the feedback section in the WiiM Home app and get it from the horse’s mouth :)

Back