16/44 vs 24/96

Smartplug

Major Contributor
No matter which song and streaming services, I find high resolution to be less exciting, muffled and less dynamic than their cd counter part. Are these music just upsampled?

I think there are two main aspects:
- Are the editions from the same remaster?
- Are the playback chains at the same level?

As for the first one, I've found some original LPs from the 80s, which sounded much better than further remasters, but the problem was the remastering, not the digital process.
I also think it's impossible to perceive the difference on sample rate alone, if all other parameters are the same.
However, since recording at 96KHz is quite normal and digital HD transfer of old tapes has become easier, there is no reason to avoid a high sample rate.
Upsampling already digital material makes less sense but the operation itself shouldn't have any negative effects.

I have ripped some of my rare LP's and and from my trials have found overall that 44.1/24 is really good. I can hear the difference between 44.1/16 and 44.1/24 but not between 96/24 and 44.1/24 . The album's are not batch processed the whole process takes me about 5 hours. I suspect that it depends how much care is taken in the conversion process. The bit depth makes the difference, not the sample rate. What a pity HDCD never really took off commercially as it is 44.1/24

A confession from my side: I never ever was or will be able to hear a difference between HiRes and 16/44 (redbook) CD quality. With all of my recent and my past gear.
But: As a wanna own, in my income range, the highest possible solution and like led blinking in highest position or even the mysterious magenta light of MQA I will stay an easy prey for the hifi manufacturers.
But upsampling I will always avoid!

I have ripped some of my rare LP's and and from my trials have found overall that 44.1/24 is really good. I can hear the difference between 44.1/16 and 44.1/24 but not between 96/24 and 44.1/24 . The album's are not batch processed the whole process takes me about 5 hours. I suspect that it depends how much care is taken in the conversion process. The bit depth makes the difference, not the sample rate. What a pity HDCD never really took off commercially as it is 44.1/24
5 hours!? What software are you using?
It takes me album time plus 15 to get fully tagged Flacs onto my server, scanned and ready to play. I’m using VinylStudio - it’s well worth the £30 plus the time it takes to learn how to use it.

5 hours!? What software are you using?
It takes me album time plus 15 to get fully tagged Flacs onto my server, scanned and ready to play. I’m using VinylStudio - it’s well worth the £30 plus the time it takes to learn how to use it.
Agreed, even if you need to apply correction, declicking etc, once you get into the rhythm (or in my case, remember how you did it the last time you used the software ;) ) , it doesn’t take more than you say per album. Having cleaned it first too.

(As an aside, I can play an album via my Linn amp using its excellent ADC conversion and stream that wirelessly using openhome to the SongCorder software on my pc to save it as FLAC at up to 24/192 should I wish)

Agreed, even if you need to apply correction, declicking etc, once you get into the rhythm (or in my case, remember how you did it the last time you used the software ;) ) , it doesn’t take more than you say per album. Having cleaned it first too.

(As an aside, I can play an album via my Linn amp using its excellent ADC conversion and stream that wirelessly using openhome to the SongCorder software on my pc to save it as FLAC at up to 24/192 should I wish)
I’m considering a new amp and one of the requirements is to handle ADC but I was thinking a Tape circuit. Which Linn has this built in and does the stream present as a playable URL?

Wiim hasn’t answered regarding what the new product will be release. If it’s not hifi or more about smart light I am not interested. I’m not sure why wiim hasn’t been active answering users comments unlike before where full of excitement and energy.

Not sure about a tape circuit, i just used the analogue input on my MDSM/4 which can be configured for line in or phono level. The Songcorder software works with almost all Linn kit (see the list on its webpage below) and it identifies which Linn/Openhome server it wants to take the stream from, so it’s not a url as such. It’s not far off point and click in operation. I then use VinylStudio to chop up the resulting file into tagged tracks.

See https://meraki-acoustic.com/songcorder and its thread on hifiwigwam https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/the-official-songcorder-thread.96108/

Last edited:
Wiim hasn’t answered regarding what the new product will be release. If it’s not hifi or more about smart light I am not interested. I’m not sure why wiim hasn’t been active answering users comments unlike before where full of excitement and energy.
Bit off topic in this thread, no? Tbh, given the very cool reception their alarm clock/light got here, I’m not surprised they’ve been quiet since…

Not sure about a tape circuit, i just used the analogue input on my MDSM/4 which can be configured for line in or phono level. The Songcorder software works with almost all Linn kit (see the list on its webpage below) and it identifies which Linn/Openhome server it wants to take the stream from, so it’s not a url as such. It’s not far off point and click in operation. I then use VinylStudio to chop up the resulting file into tagged tracks.

See https://meraki-acoustic.com/songcorder and its thread on hifiwigwam https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/the-official-songcorder-thread.96108/
Thanks I’ll investigate that
Tape Circuit is how I digitise at present. Tape out to ADC

Thanks I’ll investigate that
Tape Circuit is how I digitise at present. Tape out to ADC
With most of the modern Linn DSM's you can configure one (of the two) digital inputs as output. I think the ADC of the Linn's is very advanced as even the turntable input is digitised. But it's of course no cheap solution.

Back