4.8.528649 firmware for Pro

No, but as it involves removing features (amazon music multiroom was mentioned) to add Squeezelite, there would need to be a mechanism to allow a user to load the Squeezelite edition firmware in preference to the established firmware. No such mechanism currently exists, so that’s another item to put in the mix. And then you might get Roon users asking why the same can’t be done for Roon - say, let’s throw out Amazon Music entirely as Roon doesn’t support that to make way for it. Or any other non-hardware specific feature that the larger Pro/Plus models might have or get in the future.

While I agree it’s a pity the mini doesn’t have the capacity for Squeezelite, butchering existing firmware is in my mind a recipe for disaster, not to mention the overhead to WiiM in maintaining yet another firmware stream.

There’s another Amazon Prime day coming along in a few weeks‘ time, so I’d keep an eye out for the WiiM Pro going on sale…

(if WiiM turn this on its head and suddenly produce a special edition Squeezelite Mini, then I’ll eat my hat :p )

The ability to add and remove services, the latter releasing memory and other resources is interesting.

Most apps and services are not used by any individual user. I do not use Quobuz, Tidal, Roon, etc.

Non
Et comme cela a été confirmé par ceux qui ont mesuré/identifié cette anomalie, elle est inaudible donc je dirais que cela ne vaut guère la peine de s'inquiéter ou même de la mentionner.;)
it's their assessment...

it is also incompatible with their approaches...

if we agree that the measurements have an interest..that these with a "sinad at -112db"" will have an interest..this is inconsistent with the fact that you will lose 14db (-98db) in value of sinad in the bass...

this is fundamentally inconsistent...and very interesting because it shows that putting forward the sinad at 1k is just stupid...

Let's see what the V2 gives ;-)

Last edited:
The ability to add and remove services, the latter releasing memory and other resources is interesting.

Most apps and services are not used by any individual user. I do not use Quobuz, Tidal, Roon, etc.
Interesting perhaps if the original software architecture was developed with that in mind due to the relative lack of resources in the mini, which I’d doubt tbh. Having to accommodate that mode of working might need a rewrite of the app from the bottom up If it wasn’t originally structured in that manner. Plus when you pull one brick out of a wall even if you’re replacing it with something else is always a risky procedure.

That's true, but Hollywood has been impatiently waiting - as we all have - for the squeezelite functionality already because of the constant skipping he's been experiencing, so I know using the UPnP Bridge isn't an option for him.
There's also airbridge and chromebridge options
There's ways to make a folder on your computer available to the mini too

If at first, you don't succeed
Keep on sucking til you do succeed

- Curly Howard and me, after stealing it

So during of all things this huge T-storm, the notification comes through for the update. Whats the worst that can happen? A power failure and the box bricks during update???? Needless to say nothing, we update and now the adventure of PEQ begins though using it shouldn't be too bad. PowerAmp Eq app also has PEQ settings for various headphones which I have been using.

As brantome say, are we there yet? Well, update finally came through and about to experiment how peq will play to my liking. What I want to see on next product that has this feature with Dirac on board. I don’t mind paying for licensing fee and many will be willing to pay as well. Im looking forward to wiim amp as this thing look interesting. It has sub out and hopefully it has bass management and high quality amp.

just got my other 2 pros updated. thanks WiiM!

now wondering when the WiiM Amp is scheduled for sale?:) .....well I already know. 31 days after I buy a Pro to replace the Mini in my patio setup.

Got the update here too. No issues with installation. Will test drive squeezelite later :)

I am interested in hearing from those running this new firmware on WiiM Pro streamers out to an external DAC, re perceived sound quality. Focus on treble smoothness/detail, controlled sibilance, and soundstage improvement.
I read many comments about you said and in fact I agree about your sentiments. This new firmware produce magnificent depth that wasn’t present on previous firmware. I don’t know what was change but my ear tells me there was. The decay are extended and defined. Firmware can make sound make or break.

I read many comments about you said and in fact I agree about your sentiments. This new firmware produce magnificent depth that wasn’t present on previous firmware. I don’t know what was change but my ear tells me there was. The decay are extended and defined. Firmware can make sound make or break.
The problem is when it deteriorates…

If that was the case even when using an external DAC, I don’t recall any comments about previous firmware versions not sounding as good, but they have been bit perfect for a long time. Doesn’t add up for me…

I found the biggest improvement came with the beta firmware with squeezelite functionality
So I've been using squeezelite virtually 100% of the time, with the occasional preset operation when it's time to shut down the server
And often I am using the analogue outputs at that time
I remember a big improvement at that time but really haven't listened to music critically too often since cause chores and what not

So everything is working well, except, Apple Lossless which is VBR, my Dac won't sync to it. I go back to a track that is CBR and it is fine, but anything Apple Lossless VBR wont play. Note, If I browse via UPNP on the WiiM app, the file will play.

Last edited:
may i ask what's the big deal with this squeezelite "situation"? i am using local music from qnap nas with minimserver on it and it works fine...am i missing something for not using squeezelite or lms, or whatever is needed? i see how everyone is waiting anxiously for squeezelite support but i don't know, maybe it's better to install lms on my NAS and start using something else or i don't need to bother?

may i ask what's the big deal with this squeezelite "situation"? i am using local music from qnap nas with minimserver on it and it works fine...am i missing something for not using squeezelite or lms, or whatever is needed? i see how everyone is waiting anxiously for squeezelite support but i don't know, maybe it's better to install lms on my NAS and start using something else or i don't need to bother?
Your current solution is already a very good solution and if it does all you want, stick with it.

You could view LMS as almost a straight swap for the functions you already have, but it also has the benefits of supporting plugins to offer additional functionality that a straightforward UPNP solution like yours doesn’t offer, such as fully functional BBC Sounds and Radio Paradise access, and dynamic links to music and artist info databases to enhance your “now playing” screens.

@Brantome

thanks, i think i get it...plugins, i'd rather not...whenever i was trying to improve things on the software side something went wrong and it's hard to go back on square one...i think streamers like wiim makes me lazy these days, it works and i am sitting too much in front of various screens anyway so additional looks on 'now playing' is not attractive to me...

wiim already have bbc and radio paradise, lms have something more?

The main reason I use LMS is that I use iTunes on my Mac. LMS allows me to export my iTunes playlists and make them accessible on the WiiM.

I've asked the @WiiM Team to delete my account a week or so ago. Obviously it lasts longer than I expected. 😉 Only personal reasons, no trouble with the item or with other users. Differences in some aspects, but what if not such a forum is the right place.
Because no longer using the (an incredible price/performance delivering) WiiM Pro I am not in the position to criticaster, but often it is stronger than me. So a few final thoughts may be still allowed.
The reasons for trying the Pro months ago:

• Advertised as "Versatile Audiophile Streamer". After replacing this absurd, but sales increasing word "audiophile" with "HiFi" in my brain everything was ok. For me.✔️
  • Roon Ready was announced. Done. ✔️
  • Most of the relevant streaming services are integrated. Only Sonos tops this ✔️
Everything was fine. (Only USB out was a missing link for me.)
But together with a very good DAC the WiiM performed brilliant. Stepped back only because
1. I was asked to test a new item for six months, no need to give it back. For free indeed. Good for mother's son. 😉
2. the need of an external DAC felt away, saves a cable and space. And the used DAC was a 600 € item. So the combo of Pro and DAC touches already the 800 € line. But even that is spectacular cheap for the performance. And if the Pro Plus performs similar: Great job done.
3. the MR12 ethernet connection is still an outstanding feature of my now in use streamer. Special situation here, so extremely subjective.
4. look and feel is better (subjective of course).
5. Ready out of the box, like the WiiM was. FW updates will be announced and asked wether to be installed or not.

The never ending "firmware update" circle here makes me more than ever feel WiiM is endangered to overload the product. Hopefully they will prove me wrong. All this features may work ok in the future. The example with the WiiM as kind of a Swiss Army Knife is exactly the point. Can do a lot of things ok, but not more. For better results one will always need a specialized tool.
Some of the features seems to fight more or less some other. All the integrations, casting with CC or Amazon Cast, UPNP, LMS, Airplay or Multiroom issues under one hat? At least challenging! So for me it is predictable that this will remain work in progress for long. May be all this is fine for people who are more in IT or electronics interested and have other motivations than me, for whom is only all about the music. A product has to perform as expected. I understand (nearly) every wish, but for me it still feels a bit like a DIY project. Which is fine, but I do believe that this is endangered to forget the silent majority of the users, satisfied with the product as it is, fearing that every new firmware can affect their running systems.
You can make some of the people happy all the time, all of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time.
As always only my personal thoughts and now it is up to WiiM how long you must suffer my litanies. 😉

i think i share the part of your sentiment regarding too many feature requests...wiim pro doesn't have unlimited memory, and if things goes this way we can end up with a product who kill some features to make room for another ones...which aren't necessary to improve our listening experience...

Back