A vote for Plex support on Wiim Pro

fordblue

There's been much discussion over on Wiim Mini regarding desire for Plex support; just want to add my 2 cents here concerning a request to add Plex support to the Wiiim Pro.

I have played tracks off my NAS using the DLNA interface, but that's creaky compared to the full Plex user interface. Luckily, Plex supports Chromecast so that's what I've been using. Not quite as elegant as full integration (e.g., as with Qobuz) but workable in the meantime.

Why not ask Plex to support the WiiM devices? They do, after all, support UPnP, why doesn’t Plex? Makes far more sense for a server-side system to support massively deployed UPnP endpoints, as LMS does.

I'd also love to see Plexamp support for the Pro. I know there's a big "mini" thread about support for Plex, but I'm good with it ending up on either device that can best support "sweet fades" and other features of the app. Thanks!

Why not ask Plex to support the WiiM devices? They do, after all, support UPnP, why doesn’t Plex? Makes far more sense for a server-side system to support massively deployed UPnP endpoints, as LMS does.
They do not support upnp. There's only a very sketch workaround involving running a docker VM which allows to link upnp devices to your plex account. It's far from perfect and most of the time it won't even let me skip tracks.

When asking for proper upnp support on their forums, they're quick to reply that it's an ancient protocol, wouldn't support their 'sweet fades', eq and other Plex(amp) specific stuff...

I don't care about all that, I just care about correctly transfering the 1's and 0's of my digital music to my DAC and use the Plexamp interface for browsing and basic playback control, but it seems they don't want to settle for "only" that.

@fordblue Best to give the other thread an extra upvote and reply! It's not really about just the WiiM mini anymore ;) as a matter of fact, it probably lacks the resources and necessary processing power

Back