NAS Support for Music Playback [SMB protocol][Manually Input IP address]

qwe14561456

I am writing to express my strong desire for a crucial feature update to your multimedia music playing device – the ability to extract and play music directly from a Network Attached Storage (NAS) system.

As an avid user of your product, I find it quite surprising and limiting that such a sophisticated device doesn't support music playback from a NAS. With the increasing popularity and affordability of NAS systems, many of us have begun to depend on them for storing and organizing our extensive music libraries.

The lack of support for NAS systems inhibits the full potential and convenience your device could offer. It would be highly beneficial for the device, or at least the associated app, to support browsing folders via the SMB protocol to select and directly play music from a NAS system. This feature would not only enhance the user experience but also empower users to utilize their music libraries more effectively and efficiently.

I believe the addition of this feature aligns perfectly with your brand's commitment to delivering top-tier user experiences and staying at the forefront of technological advancements. I strongly urge you to consider this feature request and would be thrilled to see it incorporated in a future update.

Thank you for taking the time to consider this request. I am confident that this feature would greatly enhance the user experience and set a new standard for multimedia music playing devices.

Best Regards

If a NAS has an active UPnP/DLNA media server - most do - then the WiiM App will be able to see (read to a degree) and play music stored on it.

However the WiiM App does not currently read or play music files on Samba shares.

To the OP. Look at the Control panel on your NAS for "Media server" or better still tell us which NAS it is and someone will be able to advise what is possible.

As a "feature" indexing and playing from a share would need additional memory/storage in the WiiM players.
To my knowledge, Bluesound is the only ecosystem that can index a large library.

If your NAS is capable, Logitech Media Server is an option.

As a "feature" indexing and playing from a share would need additional memory/storage in the WiiM players.
To my knowledge, Bluesound is the only ecosystem that can index a large library.

If your NAS is capable, Logitech Media Server is an option.
Indeed, but very few NAS (if any) now support LMS except via Docker.
If your NAS does have an LMS app but it isn't 8.2.x or above then my advice would be don't go that route.
If your NAS supports Docker then go for the Community Docker image which will be 8.3.
If the NAS doesn't support Docker then consider a separate Raspberry Pi and piCorePlayer running LMS (or a separate Linux box) but pointed at the files on the NAS for storage.

In lieu of a media server on your nas, the bubbleupnp app (and probably some others too) can read SMB shares and play to the wiim.

I'm a little confused. my WiiM devices have no trouble recognizing my NAS and playing music files from it.
If a NAS has an active UPnP/DLNA media server - most do - then the WiiM App will be able to see (read to a degree) and play music stored on it.

However the WiiM App does not currently read or play music files on Samba shares.

To the OP. Look at the Control panel on your NAS for "Media server" or better still tell us which NAS it is and someone will be able to advise what is possible.

Hey folks,

Let me clarify a few things about my NAS setup and why I'm insisting on the need for SMB support in the app.

First off, my NAS is a custom-built TrueNAS Scale system. It's a DIY project that I've put together, and it doesn't support DLNA—only NFS, SMB, and CIFS. The app for your product doesn't support accessing music files over SMB, which is a deal-breaker for me.

Secondly, there's a network segmentation issue. My NAS is on the 192.168.30.0/24 subnet, and the WiiM is on the 192.168.20.0/24 subnet. Even if I wanted to use DLNA, which my NAS doesn't support anyway, the WiiM can't scan and find DLNA services across different subnets. And, even if I managed to set up DLNA, your app doesn't allow for manual IP entry. Yes, I can configure firewall rules, and I'm sure I can ping and connect to it, but that's moot if your app doesn't let me input the IP directly. I have strict control over my NAS for security reasons, and this kind of product design just doesn't cut it.

Lastly, why does the app (on mobile) have to operate within the same network segment? Why can't it be designed for remote control? If I connect the WiiM to the same subnet as the NAS with a network cable, it disables the Wi-Fi functionality. And getting a dual NIC setup isn't an option either.

So that's the situation. It's about the app's design not fitting the technical realities of my setup. I think that's a pretty valid reason to call for better SMB support, don't you?

Thanks for hearing me out.

Hey folks,

Let me clarify a few things about my NAS setup and why I'm insisting on the need for SMB support in the app.

First off, my NAS is a custom-built TrueNAS Scale system. It's a DIY project that I've put together, and it doesn't support DLNA—only NFS, SMB, and CIFS. The app for your product doesn't support accessing music files over SMB, which is a deal-breaker for me.

Secondly, there's a network segmentation issue. My NAS is on the 192.168.30.0/24 subnet, and the WiiM is on the 192.168.20.0/24 subnet. Even if I wanted to use DLNA, which my NAS doesn't support anyway, the WiiM can't scan and find DLNA services across different subnets. And, even if I managed to set up DLNA, your app doesn't allow for manual IP entry. Yes, I can configure firewall rules, and I'm sure I can ping and connect to it, but that's moot if your app doesn't let me input the IP directly. I have strict control over my NAS for security reasons, and this kind of product design just doesn't cut it.

Lastly, why does the app (on mobile) have to operate within the same network segment? Why can't it be designed for remote control? If I connect the WiiM to the same subnet as the NAS with a network cable, it disables the Wi-Fi functionality. And getting a dual NIC setup isn't an option either.

So that's the situation. It's about the app's design not fitting the technical realities of my setup. I think that's a pretty valid reason to call for better SMB support, don't you?

I understood that lots of people run various DLNA servers on TrueNAS?

Agree that your sub net issue is a show stopper for DLNA though but it wouldn't be for LMS and I'm led to believe that you can install LMS on TrueNAS with some fiddling - https://www.truenas.com/community/t...server-installation-truenas-core-13-x.108807/

Somewhat unfair to criticise WiiM on this as it is after all a product aimed at domestic users. Your network isn't a standard setup that you'd expect 99% of users to have.

Hey folks,

Respectfully, it seems more like your set up not fitting the technical realities of the device. I believe you're thinking about the server client relationship in reverse. The client ideally should be an endpoint and not the control point in this relationship. Shoehorning in SMB support to the client device makes no sense when far better server-side options are already available and widely tested. Are you running the Linux or BSD variant of TrueNas? LMS is a perfect solution for your use-case as described by others. Plenty of other media/music software variations you could choose to run on your TN box. Even if Wiim did support SMB, these options would still be the better choice.

Last edited:
Back