Universal remote support

Schoepsplease

it would be the proverbial cherry on the sundae if WiiM would offer support for universal Bluetooth remote pairing. I’m honestly surprised more people aren’t asking for this, or maybe I’m just out of touch as to the number of people who might be trying to use a WiiM as their home theater hub, it’s feature set is perfect for such a use case).

I’d like to use something like a sofabaton, or honestly even a chromecast wgtv remote, to control the WiiM’s volume at the very least (or even use the WiiM remote to control the chromecast wgtv, I think it’s just basically a firestick remote at heart). These devices support Bluetooth as the WiiM does, and the google tv software already allows for easy integration of external audio hardware.

WiiM, please put this feature into effect. I think it is extremely limiting and myopic limitation of your device to only offer a single remote solution, given the at this point decades long history of universal remote support by the hifi market.

it would be the proverbial cherry on the sundae if WiiM would offer support for universal Bluetooth remote pairing. I’m honestly surprised more people aren’t asking for this, or maybe I’m just out of touch as to the number of people who might be trying to use a WiiM as their home theater hub, it’s feature set is perfect for such a use case).

I’d like to use something like a sofabaton, or honestly even a chromecast wgtv remote, to control the WiiM’s volume at the very least (or even use the WiiM remote to control the chromecast wgtv, I think it’s just basically a firestick remote at heart). These devices support Bluetooth as the WiiM does, and the google tv software already allows for easy integration of external audio hardware.

WiiM, please put this feature into effect. I think it is extremely limiting and myopic limitation of your device to only offer a single remote solution, given the at this point decades long history of universal remote support by the hifi market.

This may not be related to your request, but you can pair your WiiM with your Firestick remote. At least the volume adjustment is a possibility. 😊

This may not be related to your request, but you can pair your WiiM with your Firestick remote. At least the volume adjustment is a possibility. 😊

I don’t have a firestick though. And if a firestick remote works (how do you do this by the way? There’s no obvious pairing mode other than the WiiM remote procedure) then any Bluetooth remote theoretically could also work. Cmon WiiM let’s make this happen/easy to do?

Seriously does nobody else use universal remotes anymore? Y’all like needing a handful of remotes on your couches and tables instead of one elegant, macro’d device?

I don’t have a firestick though. And if a firestick remote works (how do you do this by the way? There’s no obvious pairing mode other than the WiiM remote procedure) then any Bluetooth remote theoretically could also work. Cmon WiiM let’s make this happen/easy to do?

Seriously does nobody else use universal remotes anymore? Y’all like needing a handful of remotes on your couches and tables instead of one elegant, macro’d device?
Press and hold the Home button on the Firestick remote for 10 seconds until the LED flashes orange and enters pairing mode. Next, open the WiiM app and start pairing as usual.

Can confirm today that one cannot pair a Sofabaton U2, or a Chromecast WGTV remote, or an ONN Android TV remote, all of which offer Bluetooth connectivity and programmability. Please WiiM, this should be a standard feature on any hifi product with remote control support and functionality. My old Harmon Kardon receiver from 30 years ago can be operated by a universal remote. My Topping DX3 from 2020 can be operated by a universal remote. Both my ONN Android TV and Chromecast WGTV dongles can be operated with universal remotes, and so can all my TVs, my PC and my mac laptops… Let’s get this integrated, thank you!

I would like it as well. I have been using Squeezeboxes for a long time combined with a Logitech Harmony remote and liked the possibility of only using one remote and the possibility to create activities so everything was switched on and configured in the right way for that activity.

But at the same time, I am not missing it that much with the WiiM. I have the WiiM set to a fixed volume, so still do volume control with the Harmony remote. And as I mainly listen to Spotify I start and stop music using voice control via the Google speaker that is next to the WiiM. But I have considered buying a Sofabaton X1 (at the moment difficult to get in the Netherlands), but will wait till the WiiM can support it.

I couldn't agree with you more. I did figure out a work around, but it can be a pain. I setup my remote to work with my tablet. I run the Wiim Home App and now it works. There are a few annoyances but it basically functions.

Just got my new WiiM Amp yesterday and love it but I tried to pair it with my SofaBaton X1 with no luck it doesn’t show up in the list or search for device in the Bluetooth setup section and you can’t make the X1 “learn” the old remote with BT that I know of only IR. The WiiM remote is nice and it works great but yeah I like to just use one remote if possible I mean it is 2024 one would think this is possible? Anyone from WiiM with any voice in development watching these forums??

I will keep poking and if I figure something out will post it here and also keep checking in case anyone else has a fix, thanks!

I was able to get my Chromecast/Google TV remote to control the volume from the Chromecast/LG OLED tv Through WiiM by:
1. switching the input to the WiiM from Optical to HDMI
2. HDMI/ARC cable connection on the LG OLED TV to the HDMI IN on the WiiM
3. With Chromecast/Google TV Remote. Home/Settings/Gear Icon/Display& Sound/Enable HDMI-CEC

The volume on Chromecast Remote now controls the WiiM volume. It is a little laggy in the up and down volume, but it works all from one remote again.

I was able to get my Chromecast/Google TV remote to control the volume from the Chromecast/LG OLED tv Through WiiM by:
1. switching the input to the WiiM from Optical to HDMI
2. HDMI/ARC cable connection on the LG OLED TV to the HDMI IN on the WiiM
3. With Chromecast/Google TV Remote. Home/Settings/Gear Icon/Display& Sound/Enable HDMI-CEC

The volume on Chromecast Remote now controls the WiiM volume. It is a little laggy in the up and down volume, but it works all from one remote again.
This only works if you have the WiiM amp. No other WiiM has hdmi/arc functionality.

This is a great idea! I'm also battling remotes right now. I have Samsung TV (2023 model with universal remote) Chromecast 4K with Google TV and Wiim remote - it's horrible mess. I wanted to use Samsung for everything (it is most elegant, no need to change batteries) but of course it is not working as expected. In Chromecast it does not have "home" button and asi I have connected TV to Wiim Pro Plus with Optical Cable and Samsung cannot control volume (don't know why). It would be nice to connect either Samsung or Chromecast remote to Wiim so I can at least eliminate one remote.

There is option for those wondering, of turning off Chromecast HDMI CEC volume control, set Wiim pro Plus to independent volume, crank it up and lower it in Chromecast. When someone uses only Chromecast and doesn't do any brightness control it is working.

But it is frustrating to not be able to work these out in point where technology came all this way.

If a Fire TV Stick remote can be used to control a WiiM device and if a Sofabaton can be used as a Fire TV Stick remote, can one conclude that a Sofabaton could be used to control a WiiM?

I don't have a Sofabaton to try.

Yes and no. Like the Harmony Hub which also supports Fire TV, they system would need to be aware of the commands etc that are being used. In the case of the Fire TV, I guess Amazon would have had to impart that information to Logitech- similarly WiiM would need to work with Logitech or Sofabaton for their remote to be supported. It’s not as simple as IR where the original remote could be used to teach the universal remote.

Yes and no. Like the Harmony Hub which also supports Fire TV, they system would need to be aware of the commands etc that are being used. In the case of the Fire TV, I guess Amazon would have had to impart that information to Logitech- similarly WiiM would need to work with Logitech or Sofabaton for their remote to be supported. It’s not as simple as IR where the original remote could be used to teach the universal remote.
I think I get it but perhaps not. If a Fire TV Remote is transmitting the proper codes to control a WiiM, and a Sofabaton is transmitting the proper codes to control a Fire TV, shouldn't these Sofabaton codes be the same codes that would control a WiiM?

Perhaps the issue is there is no way to link Sofabaton's "Fire TV" codes to a WiiM?

I think I get it but perhaps not. If a Fire TV Remote is transmitting the proper codes to control a WiiM, and a Sofabaton is transmitting the proper codes to control a Fire TV, shouldn't these Sofabaton codes be the same codes that would control a WiiM?

Perhaps the issue is there is no way to link Sofabaton's "Fire TV" codes to a WiiM?
The chances of them being the same codes are remote, no pun intended ;) You wouldn’t expect your Sony TV remote to control your Panasonic TV just because they’re both TVs that use IR remotes.

What’s needed is for WiiM themselves to relay the necessary info to Logitech or Sofabaton (or vice versa) as must have happened with Amazon for the Fire Tv Remotes.

I agree that having WiiM give Sofabaton the remote codes for WiiM devices would be the most straightforward way to have a Sofabaton control a WiiM but in the absence of this in post https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/successfully-paired-firetv-remote.1939/, Wiimer indicates he successfully paired a Fire TV Stick 4K Max Remote to a control a WiiM Mini to:

Play/Stop
Volume +/-
mute
Input select (back button)

From this I conclude that the WiiM remote codes for the above functions are (must be?) the same as the Fire TV Stick 4K Max remote codes for above functions.

As best I can tell, the only unknown is whether or not the Sofabaton can be emulate a Fire TV Stick 4K Max Remote. If it can, one should be able to add Fire TV Stick 4K Max Remote capabilities to a Sofabaton through the Sofabaton app, choose Fire TV Stick 4K Max Remote on the Sofabaton and then pair it to the WiiM as Wiimer has done.

It's quite likely that even if the Sofabaton emulates only a standard Fire TV Stick remote that this approach will still work as I doubt that Amazon would use different codes for the same functions on different model remotes.

What am I missing in my hypothesis?

Sofabaton says to choose "Other" or "Android TV" and then pair it with your device (WiiM). Can someone with a Sofabaton try this and report back with results?

Back