Am I configuring echo dot to control WiiM mini correctly?

lawrenr58

Hi
I’m new to this and I have a WiiM mini and an echo dot in the same room with the WiiM streaming to my hifi. I’m not really interested in distributing the music to other Alexa devices- just in playing it on my hifi system. I named the wiim ‘hifi’
I want to control the music from the echo dot and have tried 2 approaches
1 -put them both in an Alexa room called ‘music room’ and made the WiiM the preferred speaker- this works if I say “play music(artist, song or playlist) in the music room” - some commands work, like Alexa pause, skip track, mute, resume - without adding ‘in the music room’ but it won’t control the volume and will only play another artist or playlist if I stop it and then start again with the ‘play music(artist, song or playlist) “in the music room”’command, again.
2- The other thing I have tried is to make the wiim mini a connected speaker for the echo dot and making it the preferred speaker(as per the wiim manual) but it seems to ignore the wiim and play on the echos onboard speaker

Can anyone help?

Will

Thank so much that’s perfect- the commands all work and play on wiim in the hifi system just right.
As you noted, my mistake was trying to set the preferred speaker for the echo dot rather than for the room- it would only let me select a speaker group which in turn had to contain 2 or more devices- the echo and the wiim, which explains why I couldn’t stop the sound coming from both sources!!
Also, at some point I must have fixed the

Cont…
Must have fixed the wiim volume to 100% so the volume control is working perfectly too now I have followed your guidance

Thanks again for your help!!

Back