Best App experience

Hollywood

Major Contributor
I really like my five WiiMs! The WiiM Home app works fine, even great for playing songs from my server which is just an SSD plugged into my Asus router.

I see other apps show more artist info and lyrics, etc. I don't want to pay for a subscription service like Roon.

LMS and Jellyfish seemed a bit complicated when tested from my Windows computer. The concept of installing music server software on a RaspberryPI device seems like it would be a good solution, but I had some inconsistent results while testing server software on my Windows computer (with my limited knowledge).

I read Synology NAS have a lot of music server options. Would that be a better, easier route to setup?

I would like an Android app to be able to let me browse my library and cast my selection to one of my WiiMs. Syncing more then one with the same music would be nice, but for the few times I would want that, the WiiM app is fine.

What I am looking for more then I see on the WiiM app is artist info, photos, and Lyrics, maybe suggestions too.

Without paying for a subscription, what is the BEST option, and what is the SIMPLEST option?

Thanks!

I really like my five WiiMs! The WiiM Home app works fine, even great for playing songs from my server which is just an SSD plugged into my Asus router.

I see other apps show more artist info and lyrics, etc. I don't want to pay for a subscription service like Roon.

LMS and Jellyfish seemed a bit complicated when tested from my Windows computer. The concept of installing music server software on a RaspberryPI device seems like it would be a good solution, but I had some inconsistent results while testing server software on my Windows computer (with my limited knowledge).

I read Synology NAS have a lot of music server options. Would that be a better, easier route to setup?

I would like an Android app to be able to let me browse my library and cast my selection to one of my WiiMs. Syncing more then one with the same music would be nice, but for the few times I would want that, the WiiM app is fine.

What I am looking for more then I see on the WiiM app is artist info, photos, and Lyrics, maybe suggestions too.

Without paying for a subscription, what is the BEST option, and what is the SIMPLEST option?

Thanks!
I’d say LMS on a Pi using piCorePlayer with a couple of key plugins - Material and Music & Artist Info will give you what you are looking for at zero cost.
The WiiM Mini and Pro can be made to act as pseudo LMS players using UPnP/DLNA Bridge plugin.
The Pro will shortly have a beta Squeezelite install which will make it a full LMS player.

By virtue of asking for artist info you're really cutting down your options to software like LMS and KODI (and its derivatives including Plex), all of which are necessarily more complicated than a purely local music server.

Whilst I would prefer an Android app to the LMS Material UI it would probably be my choice too.

If you're somewhat competent in Windows you could use Sandboxie-Plus to install and test them all yourself (happy to help if necessary).

Should have added there is a Material apk for Android ie an app

I’d say LMS on a Pi using piCorePlayer with a couple of key plugins - Material and Music & Artist Info will give you what you are looking for at zero cost.
The WiiM Mini and Pro can be made to act as pseudo LMS players using UPnP/DLNA Bridge plugin.
The Pro will shortly have a beta Squeezelite install which will make it a full LMS player.
So the screen shots are from an Android app? They look beautiful! What exactly is the app? Is there an easy button to "cast" to the device (WiiM) of your choice? I didn't see the traditional "cast" icon.

Some of the LMS stuff looks like it is no longer supported. Will it continue to work if Logitech turns off all of it's servers?

I REALLY appreciate your reply, but I am overwhelmed here. For the server, it would be a RaspberryPI device with a SSD (or hard drive) plugged into the USB port for the library? I assume you would download the operating system image to a computer and copy it to a mSD card to load to the R-Pi device? Then up you would put the R-Pi and SSD next to your router and connect it with an ethernet cable. The device would be managed from a browser on a local network computer? Basically, am I getting it or not so far? Any phone in the local network can access the server's library with the right app?

So you start an app that connects to your R-Pi LMS server and choose your music by Artist>Album>Song like other apps, choose your device (which WiiM) and it now while the music is playing you can read about the artist and see lyrics when available? What is that app? If I put LMS on my Windows computer to test, will that app work, or only to a R-Pi server?

Is there any guide to the R-Pi server you built? Can you recommend any devices that would be good as far as audio quality, speed, and durability (dissipate heat) and stuff I haven't thought of yet?

I really like your screen shots. That is exactly what I am looking for to see on my Android phone or tablet, and listen to on my WiiM.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I hope you can help me get this started (unless some of what I wrote is incorrect?).

THANK YOU!

By virtue of asking for artist info you're really cutting down your options to software like LMS and KODI (and its derivatives including Plex), all of which are necessarily more complicated than a purely local music server.

Whilst I would prefer an Android app to the LMS Material UI it would probably be my choice too.

If you're somewhat competent in Windows you could use Sandboxie-Plus to install and test them all yourself (happy to help if necessary).
I agree the LMS route is the answer I am looking for, but without guidance I am running around in circles. I really appreciate the help from the forum. I will look at the LMS Material app now.

Thanks!

My screenshots are iPhone but the apk on Android looks identical.

There is no cast button. At top left is the player I am controlling. Tapping there brings up a list of all players including my 2 WiiMs. To switch control you select accordingly.

piCorePlayer is a special Raspberry Pi OS that contains an LMS player and/or an instance of LMS. You install to SD card. Music can be on an attached USB disk of a NAS mount. Your SSD on Router is effectively a NAS.

You would need to burn the SD card
Expand the file system (one click)
Install LMS (one click)
Install additional file system support (one click)
Choose and configure storage (carefully follow howto - USB is easier)
Run LMS wizard
Install plugins
  • Material
  • Music & Artist Info
  • UPnP/Dlna Bridge
  • Spotify/Qobuz etc
  • BBC Sounds
  • Radio Paradise
Material plugin must be installed before you grab the apk from Fdroid

Loads of help at the link at end of my sig

Last edited:
Raspberry Pi’s seem to be available again. A 4Gb Pi 4 is sufficient to run an LMS server

My screenshots are iPhone but the apk on Android looks identical.

There is no cast button. At top left is the player I am controlling. Tapping there brings up a list of all players including my 2 WiiMs. To switch control you select accordingly.

piCorePlayer is a special Raspberry Pi OS that contains an LMS player and/or an instance of LMS. You install to SD card. Music can be on an attached USB disk of a NAS mount. Your SSD on Router is effectively a NAS.

sounds not too hard. forgive me, but I don't know what an apk is. I looked in the app store and do not see Material app, so does it have to be installed in some other way? thanks!

sounds not too hard. forgive me, but I don't know what an apk is. I looked in the app store and do not see Material app, so does it have to be installed in some other way? thanks!
See my edit

All your assumptions about placing near router, web based config are fully correct

When you install an app you download and run an apk file. In this case you have to get it from Froid - an alternative to App Store

You would need to burn the SD card
Expand the file system (one click)
Install LMS (one click)
Install additional file system support (one click)
Choose and configure storage (carefully follow howto - USB is easier)
Run LMS wizard
Install plugins
  • Material
  • Music & Artist Info
  • UPnP/Dlna Bridge
  • Spotify/Qobuz etc
  • BBC Sounds
  • Radio Paradise
Material plugin must be installed before you grab the apk from Fdroid

Loads of help at the link at end of my sig
This picture on the server software page shows a computer in the red box. I assume that is not needed for operation, just setup and maintenance?
Does the Material app play from Amazon Music? I will look at the link in your sig! THANKS!
1691618182127.jpeg

About the only thing that the WiiM app does that LMS doesn’t is Amazon Music. This is because WiiM have paid for the privilege.
Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal and Deezer are supported on LMS but not Amazon

The computer in picture is a NAS. An alternative place to store your music files as opposed to an attached USB drive. Your router plus SSD is a type of NAS.

About the only thing that the WiiM app does that LMS doesn’t is Amazon Music. This is because WiiM have paid for the privilege.
Spotify, Qobuz, Tidal and Deezer are supported on LMS but not Amazon

The computer in picture is a NAS. An alternative place to store your music files as opposed to an attached USB drive. Your router plus SSD is a type of NAS.
cool. Amazon Music is not a deal breaker. I though that might be the case of the computer in the photo, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks again!

You will find loads of info on the forum and a lot of helpful people who will assist in configuring your Pi if you get stuck. Look under Linux / Unix for the piCorePlayer stuff and under 3rd Party Software for info about plugins

You will find loads of info on the forum and a lot of helpful people who will assist in configuring your Pi if you get stuck. Look under Linux / Unix for the piCorePlayer stuff and under 3rd Party Software for info about plugins
@d6jg , THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your help. I'm not entirely helpless, but I need to know what to look for and be pointed in the right direction.

I installed LMS on my Windows computer to test all this and is started out OK, but when I went to the LMS settings and added some plugins, I got an error every few seconds about a DLL file missing. I googled it and the response was to uninstall the app, install the Visual C++ 32 & 64 bit visual studio library, reboot, and reinstall the app. That fixed that!

Your simple explanation of how to download an APK file and use the Android file browser to click on it and install it worked perfect. I had no idea without your help.

I am able to browse my library, play music, press the Info button to get artist info, photos, and lyrics. Basically everything I wanted.

Initially when I pressed the device button, the local computer and my LG TV showed up. I was able to cast to both, even at the same time. Since this is all just an experiment, I was on my VPN network. So far so good, and to further test I changed (the computer and my phone) to my Music Server network. Although I wasn't using the content on that server, I changed to it to see if my WiiM devices showed up on the Material app on my phone. They did, but when I choose one, the Material app lets me select an artist, album, and song, but the track will not start playing. No time progress or sound output.

As soon as I get this last issue sorted out I am going to order a RaspberryPi, case, and whatever else I need and build this music server.

I couldn't have got this far without your help! Your photos, answers, and direction was just right for my ability, but I was lost without you steering me in the right direction from my original post. Thanks again!

Back