Best App experience

I suspect I will have a similar experience.:)
I've read through this thread and just had to jump in

The advice you've received is sound, pun? and PiCorePlayer is an excellent low energy solution but my only gripe is the price of Pi-s
The price is beginning to fall but you might be better served by an older HP 1L server or a newer minipc
For around $150, you can get a nice low energy solution that could run Daphile, be able to expand the storage more easily and reindex the files much more quickly
Also be usable as a file share so you can move backups in or out of it
My advice is a $150-$200 minipc and Daphile OS plus plugins

I've read through this thread and just had to jump in

The advice you've received is sound, pun? and PiCorePlayer is an excellent low energy solution but my only gripe is the price of Pi-s
The price is beginning to fall but you might be better served by an older HP 1L server or a newer minipc
For around $150, you can get a nice low energy solution that could run Daphile, be able to expand the storage more easily and reindex the files much more quickly
Also be usable as a file share so you can move backups in or out of it
My advice is a $150-$200 minipc and Daphile OS plus plugins

My Pi 4 8GB setup at https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-pro-raspberry-pi-4-8gb.1150/, including the case, psu and 1TB internal SSD set me back £220 in total and runs very well

My Pi 4 8GB setup at https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-pro-raspberry-pi-4-8gb.1150/, including the case, psu and 1TB internal SSD set me back £220 in total and runs very well
Nice

It's the Pi cases that is also weak point, but certainly the amount of power used is very low which is excellent
I could get an HP i5 8500T with 16 GB RAM and a 512 GB NVME for around $150 (used)
It's got 10 Gbps USB and uses about I'd guess 3x the hydro

Just another wrench in the decision machinery

I use PiBox Pro cases. They are made from aluminium, put all the socketry on one interface and have a high WAF.

Last edited:
I use PiBox Pro cases. They are made from aluminium, put all the socketry on one interface and have a high WAF.

Nice case, but now the price creeps up
The Pis are finally becoming more available based on some recent Google peeks
But I prefer the Pis driving the speakers, I got 3 3B+s
If I was trying to serve a couple Wiims and/or Pis, I would likely grab a used HP or maybe a new minipc with say Ryzen 5800H or Intel N305 or even lower
And install Daphile OS on it and run it headless near the router
I have a very old and slow Acer Easystore that is running Daphile OS at fairly low energy and holds 4 SATA drives
If I move from here, I'd likely get a small mobo and build up a small LMS box with maybe all SSDs and a faster NIC
But there's no wrong way to choose LMS, I'm waiting for the Wiim team to get squeezelite functionality on their devices

Nice case, but now the price creeps up
The Pis are finally becoming more available based on some recent Google peeks
But I prefer the Pis driving the speakers, I got 3 3B+s
If I was trying to serve a couple Wiims and/or Pis, I would likely grab a used HP or maybe a new minipc with say Ryzen 5800H or Intel N305 or even lower
And install Daphile OS on it and run it headless near the router
I have a very old and slow Acer Easystore that is running Daphile OS at fairly low energy and holds 4 SATA drives
If I move from here, I'd likely get a small mobo and build up a small LMS box with maybe all SSDs and a faster NIC
But there's no wrong way to choose LMS, I'm waiting for the Wiim team to get squeezelite functionality on their devices
I have looked at Daphile in the past but I wouldn’t choose it. If I was building a new LMS on “traditional hardware” I’d choose Centos as the base OS on some kind of Intel NUC type machine but there really isn’t any need for that. A Pi4 dedicated as an LMS server will be as fast in daily use albeit a little slower in scan time but that’s all.
Running the OS on SSD or SD is a good move but storing music on SSD is a bit overkill. Spinning HDs are perfectly fine as long as you can’t hear them spin. Just my 2p

I have looked at Daphile in the past but I wouldn’t choose it. If I was building a new LMS on “traditional hardware” I’d choose Centos as the base OS on some kind of Intel NUC type machine but there really isn’t any need for that. A Pi4 dedicated as an LMS server will be as fast in daily use albeit a little slower in scan time but that’s all.
Running the OS on SSD or SD is a good move but storing music on SSD is a bit overkill. Spinning HDs are perfectly fine as long as you can’t hear them spin. Just my 2p
There's alot of ways to shear the kitty, Daphile is one button solution, but very light, still available in 32 bit and based on gentoo

As for hardware, lots of minipcs going on sale right now...eg

I think I seen you were in the UK...but anyway...this with a choice of LMS, hell, run it on a windows install and a usb 3 hard drive with 10-12 TB would be a better bang for the buck solution....
Those are are my 2¢
....adjusted for inflation

There's alot of ways to shear the kitty, Daphile is one button solution, but very light, still available in 32 bit and based on gentoo

As for hardware, lots of minipcs going on sale right now...eg

I think I seen you were in the UK...but anyway...this with a choice of LMS, hell, run it on a windows install and a usb 3 hard drive with 10-12 TB would be a better bang for the buck solution....
Those are are my 2¢
....adjusted for inflation
Never Windows as a production server !

Never Windows as a production server !
That little machine can run Proxmox & a couple VMs, one of them handling the LMS, another a Kodi/Plex setup & another running Windows
And just run one at a time and suddenly it's a 3 machine gadget

I just got my Amazon delivery after lunch. It took about 5 minutes to hook it up to my router, plug in the mSD card, power supply, and start it up. My router listed it as 192.168.1.69 and putting that address into my local computer browser brought up the PiCorePlayer page. My USB drive only has a small amount of music to be sure of what I am connected to.

At first I was seeing all of my library. Looks like it was seeing the trial server on the upstairs computer (even though I shut down LMS). Then I was seeing some of the library available to browse, but Info only, it wouldn't play. I finally shut down the upstairs computer and I don't see any more music.

I am in the middle of another big project, moving all of my communications from 2 shelves above the door going out to the garage, to a medium size closet under the staircase where I will be able to service everything from a standing level. At first it was just the modem and router, but it grew to add a UPS, network DVR, VOIP phone adapter, NVR for security cameras, a music server router, and a router with my dedicated VPN for when I want to be stealth. Aside from building a custom rack, I had to tap for electricity. ...a fairly big project according to my aches and pains!

I'm happy with the 15 minutes I gave the server so far, but I have to get back to the messy project before it overtakes my house and garage. Before I stopped, I touched the CPU and it was barely warm, so I think the heavy passive cooling case will do it's job well. It looks like you will need tweezers to remove the mSD card, so I am holding off putting it in the case until it is a working server. Amazon also delivered a motion wall switch so I won't have to turn on the light when I enter the closet or remember to turn it off. ...please no out of the closet jokes!:)

back to work!

Seeing as this thread has morphed into an LMS discussion...
I installed LMS on my nas last night.
After (too many) hours of fiddling I've finally got it working, and spotify and tidal integrated.

I quite like it, especially the the integration of my own music and favourited albums in the services - but I have one issue / question (for now, anyway!)
When I'm playing something from tidal, for example, how do I see if it is / add it as a tidal favourite? (Any of track / ablum / artist.)

Seeing as this thread has morphed into an LMS discussion...
I installed LMS on my nas last night.
After (too many) hours of fiddling I've finally got it working, and spotify and tidal integrated.

I quite like it, especially the the integration of my own music and favourited albums in the services - but I have one issue / question (for now, anyway!)
When I'm playing something from tidal, for example, how do I see if it is / add it as a tidal favourite? (Any of track / ablum / artist.)
there's an app inside the LMS menu that you should be able to open to control the services
I don't have paid services but the other plugins I have used (YouTube, BBC, I Heart Radio. ect) work that way
Have you logged in to my squeezebox.com?

there's an app inside the LMS menu that you should be able to open to control the services
I don't have paid services but the other plugins I have used (YouTube, BBC, I Heart Radio. ect) work that way
Have you logged in to my squeezebox.com?
Yes, logged on to squeeze and added the spotify and tidal apps, and set up authentication.
Added the spotty and tidal plugins, and set them both to integrate within the online music library integration plugin.
I can browse both from LMS, within the Apps menu, and when in My Music I can see both my own music and spotify / tidal albums.
I just can't see a way to add to favourites in the "now playing" screen.

Yes, logged on to squeeze and added the spotify and tidal apps, and set up authentication.
Added the spotty and tidal plugins, and set them both to integrate within the online music library integration plugin.
I can browse both from LMS, within the Apps menu, and when in My Music I can see both my own music and spotify / tidal albums.
I don’t use Tidal but I’m sure there is a way to do what you want. Ask on forums.slimdevices.com

I use Qobuz in LMS but I also have the Qobuz app on my phone. If I favourite through the Qobuz app the content is immediately available through Qobuz on LMS. I suspect Tidal can work the same way.

I don’t use Tidal but I’m sure there is a way to do what you want. Ask on forums.slimdevices.com

I use Qobuz in LMS but I also have the Qobuz app on my phone. If I favourite through the Qobuz app the content is immediately available through Qobuz on LMS. I suspect Tidal can work the same way.
Yes, but can you favourite Qobuz stuff you play from within lms?

There are favourites in both LMS & Spotify, but I don't think they aren't accessible by the other
Favourites in LMS are done from the left side music list as "hearts" beside the track(s) you are viewing in that list
I am not sure if the Sportify favourites are visible from inside the LMS plugin

Back