Best App experience

Thanks for your replies. I think the case I ordered should keep the R-Pi cool enough the way it looks with a metal case the extruded "feet" that set on top of the circuits to dissipate the heat to the case. I was not expecting NTFS to work on the SSD, if it does, great, if not, still no problem.
NTFS should work if it is STORAGE only. If you want to run the OS on it then No.

I really like my five WiiMs!
I just noticed that you have a bunch of WiiMs, are they all Pro's?
It's my understanding that the mini won't be getting the squeezelite update so they'll need to be managed by the UPnP plugin, which isn't ideal, but shouldn't be a deal breaker if you like what LMS has to offer.

I just noticed that you have a bunch of WiiMs, are they all Pro's?
It's my understanding that the mini won't be getting the squeezelite update so they'll need to be managed by the UPnP plugin, which isn't ideal, but shouldn't be a deal breaker if you like what LMS has to offer.
It has been stated somewhere that the Mini's will get Squeezelite at a later date.

It has been stated somewhere that the Mini's will get Squeezelite at a later date.
I just looked at the roadmap for the mini and you're right it is on there, maybe I was thinking about Roon.

NTFS should work if it is STORAGE only. If you want to run the OS on it then No.
I haven't got the stuff to build the kit yet, it should be here in a few days, but I have a 1TB Samsung USB SSD that is formatted to NTFS, single volume, with "MusicServer" as the top folder, then Artist>Album>Track. Would I be able to shrink the one volume and add another volume with the format needed for the Pi? Also I read quickly that the Pi drive would need a 3rd volume for something. My memory is not great, so I see this stuff but don't commit it to memory until I am hands on.

Anyway, when get there, can I plug the SSD into my Windows computer and use a partition software to shrink the existing NTFS partition and make the other two with different formats?

I haven't got the stuff to build the kit yet, it should be here in a few days, but I have a 1TB Samsung USB SSD that is formatted to NTFS, single volume, with "MusicServer" as the top folder, then Artist>Album>Track. Would I be able to shrink the one volume and add another volume with the format needed for the Pi? Also I read quickly that the Pi drive would need a 3rd volume for something. My memory is not great, so I see this stuff but don't commit it to memory until I am hands on.

Anyway, when get there, can I plug the SSD into my Windows computer and use a partition software to shrink the existing NTFS partition and make the other two with different formats?
No you can't do that.
Ask @Brantome but I imagine his uses a normal SD card for OS and the internal SSD is for storage.

No you can't do that.
Ask @Brantome but I imagine his uses a normal SD card for OS and the internal SSD is for storage.
Yeah, that's exactly what I do - a bog standard 32GB micro SD card I had lying around that hosts the piCorePlayer image as per its instructions, with the separate internal 1TB SSD disc purely for my music.

As you've said you can use USB to connect an external disc as well. mounted as filesystem via the piCorePlayer interface, or use a network share to point to your NAS library. Or all three I guess ;)

No you can't do that.
I am pretty good with Windows, but know nothing about Linux, Apple, or the R-Pi. It will be a learning experience. I did think booting off the mSD card if needed. Maybe I'll experiment with another USB drive at first so I don't risk my .6tb or so of music. But like I said, I have 2 backups of my library anyway.
Thanks!

Yeah, that's exactly what I do - a bog standard 32GB micro SD card I had lying around that hosts the piCorePlayer image as per its instructions, with the separate internal 1TB SSD disc purely for my music.

As you've said you can use USB to connect an external disc as well. mounted as filesystem via the piCorePlayer interface, or use a network share to point to your NAS library. Or all three I guess ;)
Cool. Thanks!

I just looked at the roadmap for the mini and you're right it is on there, maybe I was thinking about Roon.
It's been said neither Roon nor Airplay Casting is coming to the mini (leaving aside what I thought as a crazy idea to have a separate Mini firmware for Roon, dropping other features), while PEQ and the Squeezelite client should appear on the Mini at some point

I am pretty good with Windows, but know nothing about Linux, Apple, or the R-Pi. It will be a learning experience. I did think booting off the mSD card if needed. Maybe I'll experiment with another USB drive at first so I don't risk my .6tb or so of music. But like I said, I have 2 backups of my library anyway.
Thanks!
The amount of Linux skill required to set up piCorePlayer is ... in the words of Elvis Costello c 1977 .... less than zero.

Thanks!
Bit like that myself, but the piCoreplayer instructions in the link provided are pretty easy to follow (although I did find the bit about editing config.txt spurious) and while LMS can initially be a wee bit daunting, you soon get used to it. I think I might have rebuilt piCorePlayer a few times at the start but then got quite proficient at doing so, so it wasn't that hard after that ;)

My tip.
As soon as you boot the Pi with piCorePlayer loaded set a DHCP reservation in your router - don't give it a static IP through the web gui.

LMS can initially be a wee bit daunting, you soon get used to it. I think I might have rebuilt piCorePlayer a few times at the start but then got quite proficient at doing so, so it wasn't that hard after that ;)
I suspect I will have a similar experience.:)

It's been said neither Roon nor Airplay Casting is coming to the mini (leaving aside what I thought as a crazy idea to have a separate Mini firmware for Roon, dropping other features), while PEQ and the Squeezelite client should appear on the Mini at some point
That little thing really is cracking value! The only thing I'd miss from the Pro is the ethernet port.

Don't start again !! :)
Seriously, the bit about editing config.txt in the piCorePlayer setup documentation did throw me a little (initial visons of having to use vi or some other vile unix editor). Much as I spent a career in IT, it was mainly mainframe based and probably before unix based “open systems” were as prevalent as they are now. However, that background has given me a proficiency in googling for a relevant solution for areas where I do lack experience and ability, and anyone can cut and paste ;)

You don't need to edit config.txt at all if you use external USB attached storage or mount a NAS.
It is only required if you use an internal SSD.

You don't need to edit config.txt at all if you use external USB attached storage or mount a NAS.
It is only required if you use an internal SSD.
@Brantome if you have exactly the same hardware (SSD) as @Hollywood is buying you could make a back up of your SD and send it to him .... might spoil the fun though

Back