Buying a 2nd WiiM Pro

Beemer

I'm going to buy a 2nd WiiM Pro. How do I change the WiiM names for identification?

Yes - I really can't get along with the sound coming out of the pro's analog outs.
Unless I go all out and buy an rme 2 too. Then a pro will do me fine.
I doubt the Plus can even come close to the ADI-2 in terms of sound quality, and there's no way in terms of overall performance or features.

I doubt the Plus can even come close to the ADI-2 in terms of sound quality, and there's no way in terms of overall performance or features.
Indeed, but it'd be significantly cheaper.
Only contemplating an adi-2 as a room shuffle means I need (or so I've told the better half) another headphone / hifi streaming solution.
I have unused cans/amp/speakers lying around, but not a spare streamer / dac. It's only an extra 0 after all...

Indeed, but it'd be significantly cheaper.
Only contemplating an adi-2 as a room shuffle means I need (or so I've told the better half) another headphone / hifi streaming solution.
I have unused cans/amp/speakers lying around, but not a spare streamer / dac. It's only an extra 0 after all...
But what is the reason that you mentioned ADI-2 specifically?

I *was* 99.9% sure that the only reason I knew about the amazon event was from a wiim 'advert' stating it'd be discounted, 'cos I remember wondering whether to get another pro or to wait for a pro plus.
But now I can't find the post...
It’s also on the banner line (or chyron? ;) ) on the wiim home page too

Maybe a Plus would suffice for the amp/speakers I intend to use, but I still want a headphone setup there too, so no other reason than to "justify" another bit of kit.
Well, if you need a new toy, you are not scared by RME technical approach, you think about headphones correction for your preferred target, you consider a simple room acoustic adaptation, you prefer a transparency of the sound and focus on the faithful reproduction instead of adding a joy if it's missing in the source material...
...then there is no reason to even think about the Plus as a competitor for RME :D

But what is the reason that you mentioned ADI-2 specifically?
Maybe because he heard that the Pro Plus will have the same DAC the ADI-2 v2 had, the AKM 4493SEQ? ;)

I know the DAC chip alone doesn’t say it all, but maybe hanging off a few weeks till the end of the month till the Pro Plus is released in the USA might prove worth worthwhile…

Maybe because he heard that the Pro Plus will have the same DAC the ADI-2 v2 had, the AKM 4493SEQ? I know the DAC chip alone doesn’t say it all, but maybe hanging off a few weeks till the end of the month till the Pro Plus is released in the USA might prove worth worthwhile…
Is this AKM chip confirmed for Plus?
RME had switched to ESS and no longer uses AKM for ADI-2.

Is this AKM chip confirmed for Plus?
RME had switched to ESS and no longer uses AKM for ADI-2.
Yeah, confirmed for the Plus.

I understood RME no longer used AKM, but wasn’t that largely down to the AKM factory fire? I think I read recently that the AKM chips are now being manufactured elsewhere until they get their production facilities fully back online.

Yeah, confirmed for the Plus.

I understood RME no longer used AKM, but wasn’t that largely down to the AKM factory fire? I think I read recently that the AKM chips are now being manufactured elsewhere until they get their production facilities fully back online.
Looks like I didn't pay attention.
Yes, a factory fire was the reason. I didn't know that such old chips are back in the production.

I missed a lot of news...

AKM 4493SEQ you say.... maybe I should have asked for a unit for testing, damn you.
I can imagine @VintageFlanker asked for it already ;)

Here’s what WiiM say about the DAC chip: “It features a new generation AKM 4493SEQ premium DAC that is able to achieve a leading level of low distortion and wide dynamic range thanks to AKM’s Velvet Sound Technology. It supports up to 768 kHz PCM, and DSD512, with PCM/DSD automatic switching ideal for the latest high-resolution audio source.”

It’s good (and maybe brave) of WiiM to ask him to review it given his warts and all review of the Pro - I’m sure he’ll do another thorough job. Let’s hope the Pro Plus addresses the shortcomings he found with the Pro.
Well, I guess they know the improvement related to the much better chip, so they are not scared at all. Of course, if the entire analog path is on par.

Well, I guess they know the improvement related to the much better chip, so they are not scared at all. Of course, if the entire analog path is on par.
For the line out performance they quote (and you’ll understand it better than me):
  • SNR: 120 dB (A-wt)
  • THD+N (1 kHz): 0.0004% (-108 dB) for 44.1k to 192k
  • FR curve: +/- 0.1 dB

Back