Chromebook Support

oldius

Are there any proposals for an app that works across all Chromebook devices?
The older I get, the bigger the screen I need, and mobile phones often no longer cut it!

My first idea is Bubble UPNP. But I am not sure I understood you right.
Or is Bubble only for Android mobile devices?

I just want to be able to download the Wiim Home app on my Chromebook. At present, like many Chromebooks, I receive a message that the app is incompatible with my device and I gather that this is a very common problem.
I also have a Windows laptop for my business, but I don't really wish to use it as a hifi controller. Does the Windows app work well?

I just want to be able to download the Wiim Home app on my Chromebook. At present, like many Chromebooks, I receive a message that the app is incompatible with my device and I gather that this is a very common problem.
I also have a Windows laptop for my business, but I don't really wish to use it as a hifi controller. Does the Windows app work well?
The Windows app currently only has a limited subset of the android or iPad apps and tbh I wouldn’t consider using it as my main means of control of your WiiM device.

My first idea is Bubble UPNP. But I am not sure I understood you right.
@Achim1811
Yes, Bubble is Android only. It's a pity because I use it daily and, for me, it's the best App I have found. For IOS there is MConnect. Not so complete as Bubble, but a good App anyway ;)

Note: all comments below assume you've enabled running Android apps on your Chromebook. In case not, see documentation here for that process, including which Chromebooks support it (most recent ones do).

Are there any proposals for an app that works across all Chromebook devices?
Agree -- Would be ideal to have the WiiM Home app work on Chromebooks.

One option in the meantime would be to try the "Legacy Player" app from WiiM's parent company. It's limited compared to the regular WiiM Home app, but works fine with WiiM players for what it does support: it works fine to control volume, play/pause, and group/ungroup players, and works for Amazon Music, but it lacks some other music services (e.g. Pandora) and doesn't work (for me, anyway) to log in to Qobuz.

Another option would be to "side-load" the full WiiM Home app onto your Chromebook. That's much more involved, though. You can Google "sideload Android on Chromebook" to read more.

You can install BubbleUPnP's Android app, via the Chromebook Play Store app. BubbleUPnP seems to run just fine on a Chromebook which supports Android apps. I haven't spent much time with it, so can't comment on whether it has all the functions of the WiiM app (e.g. grouping players; I noticed it doesn't support Pandora as a music source). Still, easy to try it out. It might meet all your needs.

BubbleUPnP works fine on ChromeOS as of an update or two ago. I prefer LMS with the Material Skin, but Bubble is OK.

Screenshot 2023-06-02 12.15.23 PM.png

I assume you mean the Android app?

Developers can explicitly block ChromeOS. Not always for good reason.

I'd push back on your claim "many Chromebooks" can't run Android apps. They've been able to for several years and most apps are compatible.

Sounds like your best bet is an Android tablet.

Back