Chromecast volume too high

paulzhere

Hi

I have my WiiM pro connected via Toslink to my power amp. I notice that the volume on the chromecast is too high. Even at 2% I cannot listen to music in the evenings or the nights. Also, the volume level seems to increase in steps. For ex, it would be constant from 1-15% say and then increase at 16% but then remain constant till the next increase at say 30%. Has anyone faced this issue? Since my power amp does not have a volume adjustment, I need to adjust it with either the WiiM app or the google home app on my iPhone. But both the volume adjustments seem to be linked to each other. And as I said, since even 1-2% is too loud, I have run out of ways to get it to a listening level.

Thanks for your comments/suggestions.

So you're using the WiiM as your DAC and using digital volume control?

IMHO, even though it'll be very inexpensive, you'll gain significant audio quality if you simply insert something like a Schiit Sys into the chain and use it for volume control downstream from the WiiM. Then set the WiiM at fixed volume output and no equalization, and you'll get a bit-perfect audio stream with volume level set in the analog domain, where it belongs.

So you're using the WiiM as your DAC and using digital volume control?

IMHO, even though it'll be very inexpensive, you'll gain significant audio quality if you simply insert something like a Schiit Sys into the chain and use it for volume control downstream from the WiiM. Then set the WiiM at fixed volume output and no equalization, and you'll get a bit-perfect audio stream with volume level set in the analog domain, where it belongs.
Thanks for the reply. In fact, I have a Mini DSP DDRC-24 in the chain running Dirac Live. So, the chain is: WiiM Pro --- Toslink ---> DDRC-24 --- RCA ---> PowerAmp ---> Speakers. Now the DDRC-24 does come with a remote that lets me control the volume. But I do not want to tinker much with the volume control on it's remote because I have its analog inputs connected to my Pre/Pro which does Dirac Live on my front speakers when I am watching multi channel content on my TV. That's because the other channels are level matched to a fixed volume out from the DDRC-24. The DDRC-24 unit itself does not come with any display so the only way to know the volume level on it is for me to connect it to my PC... That's a cumbersome procedure. So yeah, it's the DDRC-24 that is acting as the DAC in my setup.

It would have been great had the master volume out of the Toslink input and the analog inputs on the DDRC-24 were separate. That would solve my problem... but unfortunately that isn't the case. :cautious:

Agreed- with the same apps via chromecast vs bluetooth everything is WAY too loud with my amp set the same. I'm using a professional power amp, installed out of reach with a trigger so I don't want to touch it once set.

This week?
Most people probably consider a new week to start on Monday, so what does 'this week' mean?
Easter Friday, maybe work Sat? Easter Sun, Easter Mon...
How much are you guys working there?!! o_O

This week?
Most people probably consider a new week to start on Monday, so what does 'this week' mean?
Easter Friday, maybe work Sat? Easter Sun, Easter Mon...
How much are you guys working there?!! o_O
A lot I’d imagine, as they seem to have been doing since day one… :)

Back